Awesomenauts

Started by Mr. Analog, August 17, 2012, 04:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Dammit there are a buch of things locked rift off the bat and only accumulated play plus score unlocks them.

On the plus side practice mode counts but this does limit your attacks and character choices off the start.

Mr. Analog

Thankfully it doesn't take a lot of playing to unlock stuff (and you can do it in practice mode like you say) and all the new characters so far have been free.

For once I actually kind of like it because some of the characters you need to have a bit of experience playing to handle effectively.

Like Yuri, the rocket monkey, is really tough to play as (I find) after playing so much Clunk :D but I've seen people be absolutely devastating with Yuri

Oh and you really can't beat Disco Voltar :D
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

The only annoying part is being beat up on by abilities and characters you have not unlocked yet.

It is an interesting game, that is for sure.

Darren Dirt

--moved to AFTER Mr. Analog's post to reduce confusion--

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Yep, that can be frustrating for sure.

The one thing that gets me every time is trying to run back to the safety of a turret and having a creep take me out

Suffice to say a lot of my deaths are "Humiliations" :D

But I get to play the respawn minigame again so whatever hah
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on October 09, 2012, 08:47:57 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 05, 2012, 06:47:13 AM
Quote from: Lazybones on October 04, 2012, 11:22:41 PM
Best video might be WTF Is... : Awesomenauts (PC) ?

yes...

might be

:)

Thanks to clicking above link(s ;) ) and skimming their other "WTF is..." titles, I found this; some of youz guyz might be interested:

http://www.google.com/search?q=City+of+Steam+browser-based+steampunk+MMORPG

Looks interesting, I think we're going to see a rash of steampunk-y type games in the wake of Dishonored...

(which after having seen a let's play of the press copy looks... pretty bad actually).
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 09, 2012, 08:50:59 AM
in the wake of Dishonored...

(which after having seen a let's play of the press copy looks... pretty bad actually).

but... but... as a comment by "viciousandchaotic" expresses it, "it looks like bioshock and assassins creed had a beautiful baby"!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on October 09, 2012, 12:44:06 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 09, 2012, 08:50:59 AM
in the wake of Dishonored...

but... but... as a comment by "viciousandchaotic" expresses it, "it looks like bioshock and assassins creed had a beautiful baby"!

The game looks okay but the story and character interaction so far appears very weak.

Spoiler
The first thing that happens when you get off the boat is to return to your ruler with news that there is no cure for a plague that is ravaging your country, oh but wait no you have to play a game of hide and seek to learn basic game mechanics. Then when you meet with your ruler you are left alone with her and her daughter, she is killed and the daughter is kidnapped. When the guards find you alone with the dead Empress you are immediately blamed (framed?) but I mean even two seconds of thinking about the situation should make it obvious that you didn't do it (where'd the kid go?)
[close]

Maybe I'm spoiled by Portal/Bioshock 1/etc but to me it felt like a couple things were missing:
1. Introducing game mechanics by teaching you through the narrative
2. Making you part of the narrative without resorting to exposition

I mean they take you off to the side and out of the story to teach you how to do stuff and then they just introduce you to a character to flat out explains everything your character should already know.

Anyway, the footage I saw was for the press version and I'm hoping that these things were just rushed along and not the actual game because yeesh
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

3.7h of play according to steam, and I have hit lvl 10 so I now have a few characters to choose from and some of the better abilities unlocked.

If you want to grind levels, it seems setting your character to random and playing practice (easier to win matches) seems to be the best way. Well other than getting local co-op going as that also gives you a points / experience bonus.

Mr. Analog

Woo you've got right into it!

Maybe we can set up some matches :D
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 10, 2012, 11:44:46 AM
Woo you've got right into it!

Maybe we can set up some matches :D

My hours are kind of all over the map, especially since I am one time zone later than you, however if you see me on steam try and ping me. I can't commit any specific time this weekend due to other activities.

Mr. Analog

Sounds like a plan!

So who's your Awesomenaut?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 10, 2012, 01:26:26 PM
Sounds like a plan!

So who's your Awesomenaut?

I haven't settled yet, hell I just unlocked 2 new ones last night I haven't had a chance to play yet.

Leon Chameleon is the only one i DON'T like so far, I just can't seem to get into his play style.

Still trying to find a groove and load-out style for each of the characters I currently have available. I have found the play style changes a lot with loadout for each character.

Mr. Analog

That's very true, I kinda like Leon he's a good hit and run type guy, you can use the disguise / invisibility to get behind guys and backstab, then you can use the tongue to drag guys back into creeps/friends/turrets

It's kinda like using Lonestar to jump in around enemies and use the bull to shove them into turrets :D

I like the hit and run type characters, I think mostly because I force myself to pay more attention to my health bar. Like if I'm playing Froggy G/Leon/Coco I find myself jumping in messing up some junk and fading back (or in Coco's case trying to chase down enemies who are on the run :D ).

I also like teaming up with a good offence guy using Voltar (sort of like Pocket Medic for TF2), being able to drop healing drones in the right place can completely change a battle.

I do like shuffling selected powers as they really do change the play style. One thing is for sure, once you get the piggy bank you'll want it right away (so you can pick both your main powers right off the bat).
By Grabthar's Hammer