Looking for Casual and light Games

Started by Tom, August 03, 2016, 02:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Looking for some games for Mila to play. She's more into casual, and action style, where she doesn't have to read much (she doesn't pay attention to text in just about anything lol), or learn too much at once.

Want to find some stuff she can play at frag so she's not too bored ;D
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

ABZU (relaxing exploration, from the same guys who did Journey on the PS3)
Ori and the Blind Forest
Overwatch
Audiosurf
FEZ
Minecraft
Castle Crashers
Dark Souls III (hard, yet fun)
Goat Simulator
Enter the Gungeon (roguelike top down)
Street Fighter

If she's looking for something more platform-y:
Starbound
Apotheon
Rayman Legends
Shantae and the Pirates Curse
Broforce
Portal / Portal 2
Megaman Legacy Collection

If she likes run-n-gun Black Mesa is a really good redux of Half-Life, there's also Doom which is good

I don't know what she likes so I'm just throwing out ideas
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Cities: Skylines
Broken Age
Portal 1 and 2
LIMBO
Osmos
World of Goo
Braid
FEZ

Thorin

Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Yeah, she doesn't seem to like Minecraft at all, but she hasn't tried it. Maybe I'll get her to try.

She also doesn't have much in the way of hardware to play on. So we'll see what'll work on her laptop :(  I do have an older machine i could possibly bring, but the best gpu i have for it is an old 640GT or smth. Not the speediest card ever.

Thorin

If you're trying to get her interested in Minecraft, set up an older version, like 1.6, the controls are easier.  And then get some friends to join on the server, so she's not alone on it.  And then build a little town together.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Only problem is I don't have a spare key. :( Wonder if we can borrow someone's?

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on August 03, 2016, 05:32:35 PM
If you're trying to get her interested in Minecraft, set up an older version, like 1.6, the controls are easier.  And then get some friends to join on the server, so she's not alone on it.  And then build a little town together.

God yes, they BROKE combat in the latest version

Oh wow dual wielding ... but now you have to time your sword slashes in an already extremely glitchy system y-y-yaaaaay
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

We just tried out some Starbound and she seems to be interested, somewhat. Might see if she can handle spelunky ;D

Thorin

Quote from: Tom on August 03, 2016, 06:50:13 PM

Spare key?  You mean a Minecraft login?  I've got one she can borrow, my daughter doesn't play anymore.

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 03, 2016, 07:21:19 PM
Quote from: Thorin on August 03, 2016, 05:32:35 PM

God yes, they BROKE combat in the latest version

Oh wow dual wielding ... but now you have to time your sword slashes in an already extremely glitchy system y-y-yaaaaay

Yeah, now if you click-spam your attacks, it takes, like, twenty hits to kill one zombie with an enchanted diamond sword.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on August 03, 2016, 07:51:01 PM
Quote from: Tom on August 03, 2016, 06:50:13 PM

Spare key?  You mean a Minecraft login?  I've got one she can borrow, my daughter doesn't play anymore.
Yeah, Cool! Spending the 30$ or whatever it is for a new account that she might never use after the first 5 minutes would suck.

Yeah, now if you click-spam your attacks, it takes, like, twenty hits to kill one zombie with an enchanted diamond sword.
Get a shield and stop spamming ;)

Tom

I showed a few games to mila, and so far shes interested in Starbound, and really interested in LIMBO.

She seems to like action, with platforming.

Bought limbo on her new account to make it so we can properly friend eachother and use the family sharing junk.

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on August 03, 2016, 09:11:56 PM
I showed a few games to mila, and so far shes interested in Starbound, and really interested in LIMBO.

Bought limbo on her new account to make it so we can properly friend eachother and use the family sharing junk.

LIMBO is a good game but sadly a really short one.

Thorin

Quote from: Tom on August 03, 2016, 07:54:01 PM

So now I have to hold right-click whenever I'm not left-clicking?  And I have to time my attacks perfectly?  In a game that frequently frequently glitches and rubber-bands?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on August 03, 2016, 09:46:12 PM
Quote from: Tom on August 03, 2016, 07:54:01 PM

So now I have to hold right-click whenever I'm not left-clicking?  And I have to time my attacks perfectly?  In a game that frequently frequently glitches and rubber-bands?
Or go ranged more often ;) But more or less yeah ;D

Mr. Analog

It's the Microsoft touch of death I tells ya!

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Lazybones on August 03, 2016, 09:41:22 PM
Quote from: Tom on August 03, 2016, 09:11:56 PM

LIMBO is a good game but sadly a really short one.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=gameplay+LIMBO+full

Seems some have completed it in under 55 minutes, others took 3+ hours. Still a wonderfully unique game, and the Industry needs way more of that type of genre-busting/reinventing :)

I checked a few gameplay vids of Starbound, I can see why that is a winner too.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.