Main Menu

Minecraft 1.11

Started by Thorin, November 14, 2016, 07:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

Hey, did you know there's a new update to Minecraft?

1.11 came out today.  It's called the Exploration Update.

• Llamas (and they'll follow each other to form caravans!)
  • Illagers (they don't like villagers) that live in Woodland Mansions (they're pretty dang big)
  • Cartographer villagers - Librarians (white robes) that specialized to sell you maps to help find the Woodland Mansions
  • Shulker Boxes - chests that when broken don't spill their contents, so you can put them in your backpack while full
  • Totem of Undying - if you're holding it when you die, you're resurrected
  • Return Portals - helps in the End to get back from End Cities
  • Exhaustion has been toned way back, walking and sneaking doesn't tire you at all and most other activities make you only a quarter as tired or less
  • Shields work better
  • Lots more things can be burnt in furnaces
  • Fishing has changed (don't know how yet)
  • There's a new redstone block called an Observer, don't know how it works yet
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Have they fixed combat? That was my biggest WTF moment...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Unfortunately, the changes to combat that they made in 1.9 (the Combat Update) have not been rolled back.  You still have to time your weapon swings, the weapons still have a charge-up between attacks, the weapons still charge faster if they have the Haste enchantment, and you still have shields that you can hold in your offhand and block with by holding the right mouse button.  The one thing they did change in combat is that shields now block 100% of damage and several side effects if you're blocking with them.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

You preferred the spam-click attacking, did you?

Something I'm sad about is that if you set mobGriefing to false so that creepers don't blow up your creations, then villagers also won't tend to the farms :(  I wish they'd change that someday soon, make it so that the villagers will still farm if mobGriefing is off.

Oh, something else that got added to 1.11 is that too many entities in too small an area will cause entities to start suffocating.  The default is 24 in a block, I think.  So no more 200-chickens-in-one-block-laying-eggs food harvesters.  Of course, they would fit in 9 blocks, smaller than the typical water-trap egg catchers.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Man, they're making some strange decisions.

I mean I can always go back to older versions if I want (for now anyway... Microsoft) but like it seems like some things that people have wanted for a while (ability to pick up full chests) get counterbalanced by annoying things (like the combat change, entity rules)

I dunno... maybe its just me
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

No, I agree the combat changes are annoying.  Click-spam-attacking is a lot easier for casual gamers like little kids or even my wife.  They brought in the combat change so that P2P servers could run combats that are more balanced (axes do more damage, swords are faster, wood items are quicker than iron items, stuff like that).  But I don't play P2P, so I don't care about "balancing" combat, so it's annoying.

Hey Tom, any chance you could update your Minecraft server to 1.11 and start a new map?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Seconded! With all the new generated world stuff I wouldn't mind starting 1.11 fresh
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Ah well if people don't mind a wipe, that's plenty easy.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Create a backup of the existing world we can download, like with the old map
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 16, 2016, 08:27:06 AM
Create a backup of the existing world we can download, like with the old map
Yeah that was assumed. :)

Tom

We are updated with a fresh map on 1.11!

Thorin

That is absolutely awesome, thank you for updating it!  I'll try and get on later.  Still the same server name and port?  And does the overviewer work?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on November 26, 2016, 01:37:55 PM
That is absolutely awesome, thank you for updating it!  I'll try and get on later.  Still the same server name and port?  And does the overviewer work?
Same settings. I have not made sure that overviewer works. I most likely need to update it, as theres a lot of new stuff in 1.10+

Thorin

Aww, same seed too, isn't it?  :(

Overviewer is showing the new map squished into the old map...
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful