Create New Worlds with Mystcraft!

Started by Mr. Analog, January 08, 2013, 12:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

For this you will need sugar cane, leather and feathers.

To get started make two books.

The first book you are going to make is called a Descriptive Book, it creates the new dimension you are going to travel to. Just put a regular book on the crafting grid with a feather next to it, bang! You have a Descriptive Book

The next book YOU MUST MAKE is called a Linking Book, just put a book in your crafting grid and it yields a linking book. The linking book will transport you back to wherever you crafted it.

How to use:

With the Descriptive Book in your hand, simply right-click and hold (as you would charging up a bow)

This will transport you to another dimension!

Once you're done exploring it, simply pull out your Linking book and do the same thing (right click, hold it).

When you leave a dimension the book you were holding will flop to the ground, you can build book stands to hold them. Using a book in a book stand is easy, simply right-click it to open and then left-click the black box on the right hand page, instant dimensional teleport!

The next steps involve collecting symbols with a notebook and a writing desk but we can talk about that later.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Very cool!  I interacted with a Descriptive Book in a bookstand in my first fifteen minutes, then Tom broke the return book and we got stuck in a dimension and Sev had to save us with a Linking Book.

Can you specify what dimension the Descriptive Book will send you to?  And can the dimension be yours alone or can other people always port in there as well?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Each Descriptive Book will go to a new dimension but you can make multiple linking books for existing dimensions (I have my own linking books for both overworld and mining age).

You can make dimensions with specific qualities by learning them! This is done by first crafting a notebook (9 pages on a crafting table) and using a writing desk. After visiting a new dimension you can take the Descriptive Book to a writing desk, there you can add your notebook and it will learn the qualities of that dimension (in the form of glyphs).

So if the first world you visit only had one biome and it was always midnight there will be glyphs added to your notebook that represent the single biome and fixed time. When you make a new Descriptive book you can place it on your writing table again and specify the glyphs you want before you use it, then when you visit the new dimension in the book it will have the attributes you selected (plus a couple more).

This way you can create a new dimension based on ones you've visited.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Well, I suppose if you are an admin you can use Mystcraft's TPX command, which will teleport you to various dimensions (each one is numbered).

TPX 0 being the overworld

Another way of getting unstuck is by building a nether portal and travelling through the Nether back home.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Just a think to note:

- There are worlds with poison debuffs
- there are void worlds

Well in general there are lots of nasty possible worlds as well as strange ones such as glow-stone worlds of sand and glow-stone.

If you do not want others to visit your world you can always keep the book locked in a safe when not in use.

Mr. Analog

yes, and not on a stand next to a portal with no linking book ("Dungeon Age" I believe it's called lol)
By Grabthar's Hammer