Firefox 52 gets a fugly makeover

Started by Mr. Analog, November 16, 2017, 11:30:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

I actually had no complaints with Firefox for a long time (after leaving Chrome) and then they dump a major UI overhaul that utterly sucks when it's functional

Do the geniuses at Mozilla think "hmm we're losing ground to other browsers, let's @%&# up what we already have to chase away any users we have left"

*ironically, FF locked up ALL windows while I searched for this img link
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Is that what Firefox Quantum is or is that completely separate.

Thorin

I'm still on Chrome full-time.  What did they change in Firefox?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Melbosa

The latest update changed the GUI over to a more "Square and Purple" look.  It isn't a special Firefox install, just the standard release.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Yup Firefox 52 is the Quantum release. So far very buggy on top of ugly. For some reason it defaults to a dark theme (?) the tabs are much larger looking, the GUI opts for the blocky "Metro" style look (why) the new tab page by default shows "recommendations" (no thanks) "highlights" (not creepy at all) and takes your most visited sites, reduces the size of the thumbnail as well as the number of thumbnails shown by default.

All this stuff was working just fine before, but then to add instability on top of it, some things which have been reported since very early in the Beta (I know because I hit the Firefox forums and started going through the logged issues) ugh... it feels like a major downgrade.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

TERRIBLE HOT MESS PILE OF @%&#.

It looks like Internet Explorer / Edge, in every bad way you can imagine.

It may be "fast" but it re-arranges everything that has been pretty stable for like a decade.

Plus the TSL/SSL "better uber-safe than sorry" restrictiveness by default is making it so it complains laughably frequent for some people:

https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/165649/why-is-firefox-and-only-firefox-reporting-that-my-connection-is-insecure-on-mu

"Firefox is reporting HTTPS security errors for Google, Microsoft, Dropbox, GitHub, Wikipedia, LastPass, Netflix, Facebook,
Twitter, Skype, WhatsApp, WolframAlpha, Amazon, LinkedIn, AutoHotkey, Yahoo, Imgur, and even Stack Exchange."

Firefox maintains its own certificate store which is likely the reason only Firefox is throwing these errors.
Traditionally, SysAdmins will push out certificates through Group Policy, which works for both Chrome and IE / Edge but Firefox won?t trust it.
I would imagine that your traffic is being intercepted by a transparent proxy server which is inspecting your traffic
(note that looking at the certificate information will reveal whether or not this is a certificate that your work has pushed out).

...and guess what GoA Service Alberta IT has done recently? Yup that's right HTTPS proxy sniffing MiTM whatever you wanna call it.
So virtually every site gets a warning that it is "insecure". Because its HTTPS is kinda sorta being "vouched for" by GoA. And Firefox no likey.

I can't even use DuckDuckGo to search now. It won't even let me "add exception". Why do idiots have to go and ruin things... Starting to get really sick of this time in tech history...

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Lazybones

Quote from: Darren Dirt on November 27, 2017, 07:26:46 PM
TERRIBLE HOT MESS PILE OF @%&#.

It looks like Internet Explorer / Edge, in every bad way you can imagine.

It may be "fast" but it re-arranges everything that has been pretty stable for like a decade.

Plus the TSL/SSL "better uber-safe than sorry" restrictiveness by default is making it so it complains laughably frequent for some people:

https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/165649/why-is-firefox-and-only-firefox-reporting-that-my-connection-is-insecure-on-mu

"Firefox is reporting HTTPS security errors for Google, Microsoft, Dropbox, GitHub, Wikipedia, LastPass, Netflix, Facebook,
Twitter, Skype, WhatsApp, WolframAlpha, Amazon, LinkedIn, AutoHotkey, Yahoo, Imgur, and even Stack Exchange."

Firefox maintains its own certificate store which is likely the reason only Firefox is throwing these errors.
Traditionally, SysAdmins will push out certificates through Group Policy, which works for both Chrome and IE / Edge but Firefox won?t trust it.
I would imagine that your traffic is being intercepted by a transparent proxy server which is inspecting your traffic
(note that looking at the certificate information will reveal whether or not this is a certificate that your work has pushed out).

...and guess what GoA Service Alberta IT has done recently? Yup that's right HTTPS proxy sniffing MiTM whatever you wanna call it.
So virtually every site gets a warning that it is "insecure". Because its HTTPS is kinda sorta being "vouched for" by GoA. And Firefox no likey.

I can't even use DuckDuckGo to search now. It won't even let me "add exception". Why do idiots have to go and ruin things... Starting to get really sick of this time in tech history...

Firefox has always done this. It is also why it will likely be removed from our systems in the near future as using a internal CA and doing inspection on managed machines is becoming more necessary.

Tom

Chrome was forcing its own store as well, but lately, you can install local root certs in debian and it picks them up. Makes me happy. In fact last I checked, I couldn't use Chrome's own certificate management.....

I said that, and then just checked. It's back? I can import again. huh. It may have been a temporary thing, or potentially I was using chromium? I dunno.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

I manually rolled back a version on my main home machine, not sure what I'm going to go to at the moment. Edge sucks, Chrome sucks, Firefox sucks...
By Grabthar's Hammer