Android Gingerbread - minimum spec requirement

Started by Lazybones, June 30, 2010, 09:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

http://www.coolsmartphone.com/news5944.html
QuoteThe next big version of Android, called "Gingerbread" is coming in Q4 this year, and for the first time will have minimum spec requirements for hardware - 1GHz processor, 512mb RAM and 3.5" screen minimum.

This is something Microsoft are doing with Windows Phone 7, and now Google have joined in.

Gingerbread also sees the death of custom UIs, like HTC's Sense.
Although Google have not confirmed if manufacturers will be banned from using their own UIs, Android 3 is being designed to be make them obsolete.

Mr. Analog

I just don't think the average user ever wanted to customize their UI, so I'm not surprised by the news all that much. This is an important step for Android and one in the right direction.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Ya, but they need to get out of the 6 month obsolete cycle. With new os versions comming out so fast it has to piss off owners of older devices that can't upgrade.

Darren Dirt

In a way, that's why I'm waiting before jumping on board the Smartphone Train... Cuz I don't want to have to keep buying a new ticket every 6 months.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Lazybones

iPhones are released once a year and apple has shown there will but os updates for up to 3 years.  Far longer support than has been offered by anyone other smart phone on the market.

Tom

The nice thing about most versions of Android is they /can/ be ported to even ancient android phones. You don't get that chance when iOS drops a phone. You can't install iOS4 on the original iPhone or ipod Touch. At least not legally (some phone hackers will have to manage to get it working first though).
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on July 01, 2010, 01:38:05 PM
The nice thing about most versions of Android is they /can/ be ported to even ancient android phones. You don't get that chance when iOS drops a phone. You can't install iOS4 on the original iPhone or ipod Touch. At least not legally (some phone hackers will have to manage to get it working first though).

Not officially, what you are describing is the equivilant to the hacked roms for wm. They often run dog slow an have all sorts of stuff removed.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on July 01, 2010, 05:58:53 PM
Quote from: Tom on July 01, 2010, 01:38:05 PM

Not officially, what you are describing is the equivilant to the hacked roms for wm. They often run dog slow an have all sorts of stuff removed.

Only if your provider locks it down. Some actually allow you to update your rom.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!