Holographic monitor screen?

Started by Darren Dirt, May 05, 2005, 02:20:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

you know, the wooden actor who supposedly reverse engineers the holographic monitor, in the opening scenes of "Minority Report^H^H^H^H^HPAYCHECK"? And don't get me started on his fitting Mallrats character...

Anyway. news article: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=22999

and technical overview - official site apparently: http://www.io2technology.com/dojo/196/v.js...nology/overview

...tell me folks, there has *got* to be a /. discussion about this...

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Holographic monitor eh? I'm thinking that sales of "Tomb Raider" will triple...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

I dont think its possible...is it?

Mr. Analog

Quote from: "Shayne"I dont think its possible...is it?
Well, if they made it so that you could play it one-handed maybe? LOL
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

to me the physics of a holographic display just are not workable.  How does one project light and stop it?  Perhaps starts and stops at a frequency intune with our eyesite, but is that the same for everyone?

Mr. Analog

Well, with superconductors and extremely low temperatures you can "stop" light, it works in Star Wars! ;)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: "Shayne"to me the physics of a holographic display just are not workable.  How does one project light and stop it?  Perhaps starts and stops at a frequency intune with our eyesite, but is that the same for everyone?
Videos offline right now, but some still images give you an idea: http://www.io2technology.com/dojo/196/v.js...chnology/images

I think I actually heard about this maybe 6 months ago... I thought it was almost a water-mist with light broadcast through it. But it is apparently somehow pretty much just air. Maybe videos will be back up soon.

Mr. Analog

Just like SeaQuest! Can I have a lame talking dolphin?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

Interesting.  Ive thougtht this to be impossible.  id like to see one in action.

Lazybones

From the description it sounds it saies it takes air in and modifies it for projection. My guess is that it speeds it up or compresses it for release. I can see two problems with this type of unit.

1. Dust, how long before it needs a cleaning.
2. Noise, probably makes a hissss sound like a humidifier.

Still very cool.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: "Mr. Analog"Just like SeaQuest! Can I have a lame talking dolphin?
The order came from above that we must never speak of that. You know the consequences. *pulls out deathray*

Quote from: "Shayne"Interesting.  Ive thougtht this to be impossible.  id like to see one in action.
One what, a talking dolphin? Go see H2G2 ;)

note: video page is back online... but the links seem dead!? I did a Google search for a couple of the FILENAME.avi and found this other discussion: http://www.javadesktop.org/forums/thread.j...9786&tstart=120 (but no actual file, dangit!)

Darren Dirt

Have any of you /. regulars heard much about "3Dsolar"?

http://www.3dsolar.com/3dsolar/3d_screen_technology_3dsolar.html

"

3Dsolar is a screen technology (hardware)

that realizes people's dreams!

3Dsolar display devices are set to revolutionize the way people enjoy multimedia content both at work and at home. This latest innovation finally brings the dream to reality. Without requiring special glasses, you will see objects suspended inches in front of your screen with the ability to rotate 360 degrees around them.

The 3Dsolar effect does not use the principle of autostereoscopy, it is based on a single view.  Therefore, content providers will not need to create two complex and independent images.  As a result, they can focus on their core business to quickly create and develop 3D images.

"

[news]

London - 3/11/2005 IST-Grand Prize Nomination

3Dsolar ltd has been nominated for the European IST Grand Prize. The proposals were evaluated by independent experts from 16 European countries, nominated by Euro-CASE and agreed by the European Commission. Euro-CASE has proposed “Nominees for the European IST Grand Prize” to the European Commission among 213 innovative proposals from 29 countries.

London - 3/11/2005 ClueTec

ClueTec (www.cluetec.com) implemented the 3Dsolar display into their 3d engine allowing realtime reflective objects to be rendered with reflection maps from real life environment.

London - 19/05/2005 Nvidia

Nvidia and 3Dsolar Ltd enter a new cooperation agreement.

London - 18/08/2005 -

Creylab develops the first holographic game for 3DSolar, a demo version of Pong.  Allows the user to hit a virtual 3D ball with his finger. http://www.creylab.com

London - 10/7/2004 - Media Lab Europe (MIT)

"It was a great pleasure to meet you at Innovact and see your technology, it is truly impressive, the 3-D capability the resolution of the images and the interactivity, make it one of the most impressive technologies I have seen for a long time."

Simon Jones  PhD, DSc, CEng Managing Director of Media Lab Europe (Massachusetts Institute of Technology).

Reims - 10/7/2004 - On the 5th of May, the 3Dsolar prototype was presented to Philippe Busquin, the EU's research commissioner. Mr Philippe Busquin was very impressed with 3Dsolar presentation and recommended that 3Dsolar apply for the European IST prize.

London - 10/4/2004 - NVIDIA & 3Dsolar

3Dsolar Ltd Introduces Holographic-like 360-Degree 3D Imaging Hardware and Screen Technology. Prototype to debut at NVIDIA (http://www.nvidia.com) Oct. 25 in Santa Clara, California and Innovact in Reims, France, October 5-7.

London - 7/30/2004 - ACM SIGGRAPH in LA

3DSolar regrets that the first 3Dsolar prototype presentation to public in the United States has been cancelled. The prototype will be in Europe for a private presentation.

Laval - 5/18/2004 - On the 14th of May, the 3Dsolar prototype was presented to the French Minister of Research, Mr. D’Aubert and ex-Minister of Finance, Mr. Arthuis.  Their response was very enthusiastic.  Mr. D’Aubert has said that this technology will receive the support of the French Government agency, Anvar.

Paris - 2/28/2004 - MICAD in Paris

First 3Dsolar prototype presentation to public will happen at the MICAD exhibition, March 30th - April 1st 2004 in Paris (Erpro booth H28).

Paris - 2/14/2004 - SDK

3Dsolar SDK is now available for download see 'Contact Us'.

London - 2/9/2004 - Prototype

3DSolar prototype has been shown to experts, engineers, and potential customers, we are proud to say that the initial response has been enthusiastic.

Adams

In SeaQuest it was Fog that was projected into a mist that a projector was projected on to.

Not real holographic tech... I must check it out.
"Life is make up of 2 types of people...
50% of People who do want to do things
50% of people who do not want to do things
The rest are all forced to do things."

Darren Dirt