Chrome Dev Tools -- "LOCAL OVERRIIDES" is very useful

Started by Darren Dirt, February 27, 2019, 12:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

now I understand how/why it can be used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRrrL0Mg1pM
https://umaar.com/dev-tips/162-network-overrides/

Cliffs: page reload can now retain your temporary changes to source (such as CSS, but other too)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

Huh, this'd be good to hide advertisements, enforce custom colours and layouts on sites, and I wonder if there are any security concerns.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on February 27, 2019, 01:11:08 PM
Huh, this'd be good to hide advertisements, enforce custom colours and layouts on sites, and I wonder if there are any security concerns.

Neat idea about ads; you could figure out the divs you don't want and just tweak their CSS and save those changes :-)

I doubt there's a real security issue since it's basically a convenience for developers to be able to "save" a change and go through whatever testing to confirm before doing a full real deployment.

...but also I could see it being useful for folks trying to make a convincing scene of fake web stuff within a movie or a youtube video etc. ;)

EDIT:
This is SOOO COOL! I just now on this exact RW forum page, I found the <div id="moderationbuttons"> and edited the "Sources" and typed into #moderationbuttons
{
   overflow: hidden;
   display: none;
}
^ after clicking [ x ]Enable Local Overrides, and selecting a local folder for those saves (that's the one step I don't remember seeing in the video) and it works, instantly showing new changes without even having to save... PLUS click the "other tools" = there is a "Changes" function that is a BUILT-IN "diff" tool (typical red/green even the characters/spaces, like BitBucket etc.

Dang how many other cool stuff have I not looked deeper into...

Thorin

If I can find a way to automate the tools from JavaScript, maybe I can get someone to visit a page that I've set up to surreptitiously change what's displayed in the most popular banks' login pages and forward me what people type.

I'm sure there are already hackers trying it out to see what they can make other people's browsers do.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on February 27, 2019, 06:39:15 PM
If I can find a way to automate the tools from JavaScript, maybe I can get someone to visit a page that I've set up to surreptitiously change what's displayed in the most popular banks' login pages and forward me what people type.

I'm sure there are already hackers trying it out to see what they can make other people's browsers do.

It's only through the interface inside the F12 section of Chrome tho.
They give all this power and flexibility, but had the foresight to not make it too dangerous a power :)

Tom

Only thing is it appears to only work on a specific url/file rather than some kind of site thing. so when that css file is updated and its hash changes you lose your override.

So its really only super useful for testing.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!