Vid Card question

Started by Ustauk, November 01, 2005, 07:35:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ustauk

Would a x800 GT AGP(assuming I can find such an animal) or a 6600 GT AGP be a worthwhile upgrade over a 9800 Pro?  I'd like this as an interim upgrade until the dual cores drop in price and the new AMD M2 cpu socket is released.  Additionally, would anybody here have a need for a 9800 Pro?

Melbosa

I think it would definately be a jump.  My 9800 Pro to X800XT Plat AGP was a massive increase in performance on my current machine.  So I think it is worth the change, IMO.

And yeah I always have a use for Vids, but I don't think you would sell it to me at the price I would ask for it.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Ustauk

Quote from: "Melbosa"
And yeah I always have a use for Vids, but I don't think you would sell it to me at the price I would ask for it.

I was thinking $100, but I might be willing to give you a 25% guild discount :)

Lazybones

I went from a 9800 AIW Pro AGP to an x800 PCI-X, its hard to say what was a system improvement and what was the Video card. You should still see a big improvement in most titles going from a 9800  AGP to an x800 AGP.. I would not expect a big change in COH/CoV as it has been optimised for Nvidia and there are still reported ATI frame rate issues.

Melbosa

Quote from: "Ustauk"
Quote from: "Melbosa"

I was thinking $100, but I might be willing to give you a 25% guild discount :)

Hehe, I was thinking under the $50 range myself, so no biggy.  Try and sell it for $100 first I think.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Shayne

I went from a 9700 Pro, to an X800XL, and saw a pretty good jump.  Not sure it was worth the $300 though.

Ustauk

Quote from: "Shayne"I went from a 9700 Pro, to an X800XL, and saw a pretty good jump.  Not sure it was worth the $300 though.

Yah, I thought about the XL, but I wasn't sure if the cost was worth it.  I think a $200 upgrade is more reasonably, particularly if I manage to get $100 for my old card.

Thorin

Hmm, is $100 a decent price?  I might be interested.  I'm going to crack open my computers at home tonight and see what they have in them, and then I'll let you know if I wanna buy it, 'k Ust?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Ustauk

Quote from: "Thorin"Hmm, is $100 a decent price?  I might be interested.  I'm going to crack open my computers at home tonight and see what they have in them, and then I'll let you know if I wanna buy it, 'k Ust?

The cheapest you can get the card new is $169, so a $100 might be a bit much.  

http://www.pricenetwork.ca/products.php?p=29

Since you're a Righteous Wrath member, I'll give it to you for $75.  And that's cuttin' me own throat :)

Thorin

Well thank you!  AGP, right?  Does it come with a DVI-to-VGA dongle?  If not, I'll want to find one of those so's I can finally hook up that second monitor sitting on my computer desk...
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Ustauk

Quote from: "Thorin"Well thank you!  AGP, right?  Does it come with a DVI-to-VGA dongle?  If not, I'll want to find one of those so's I can finally hook up that second monitor sitting on my computer desk...

Yes, it is AGP.  And I believe I do have the DVI to VGA adapter lying around the house someplace. Post what vid card you have tonight, though, to make sure a 9800 Pro is actually an upgrade :)

I can't seem to find a x800 GT.  The closest I've found is thex800 GTO, which has a slower CPU but has four more pipes, and which is apparently fairly overclockable.  I'm trying to see if the guys at Memory Express can get it in, but I haven't heard back from them yet.

Thorin

Finally got around to checking.  I have an ATI Radeon 7500 AGP with 64MB onboard.  So a 9800 Pro would definitely be an improvement, plus my wife'll finally get her dual monitors like she wanted.  How about I come by Monday after work and pick it up?  I will need the adapter, so add in whatever you want for that.  And thanks for the good deal :)
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Ustauk

Quote from: "Thorin"Finally got around to checking.  I have an ATI Radeon 7500 AGP with 64MB onboard.  So a 9800 Pro would definitely be an improvement, plus my wife'll finally get her dual monitors like she wanted.  How about I come by Monday after work and pick it up?  I will need the adapter, so add in whatever you want for that.  And thanks for the good deal :)

Sounds good.  If I can find it, I'll give you the DVI to VGA adapter for free, since it came with the card :)  If I can't find it, I'll pick up one for you at OemDepot on Friday or Saturday when I go get the new card.  You work at the same spot as Mr. Analog, right?  Can we meet at lunch on Monday?  I've got Kung Fu after work, so its easier for me to meet you at lunch.

Mr. Analog

Yes, we work in the same building, perhaps lunch on Monday.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Heh, my secretary answered for me. :D

Sure, we'll arrange a meet on Monday at lunch.  I assume mr. A. has your contact information for getting a hold of you while you're at work.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful