Idea, make spawn city largely a safe zone..

Started by Lazybones, May 01, 2012, 02:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Now that I have amassed a fare amount of iron I was contemplating generating golems to protect various areas.

A fence to keep them from wondering off would be needed but we could create golem zones to help fend off stray spiders and other mobs (they don't attack creepers) that get in due to the trees shading.

Maybe even just making them petrol the walk ways?

Another idea would be to start placing a log of slabs, starting with the walk ways and maybe adding more to reduce spawning areas.

Mr. Analog

I can't recall, do golems despawn?

Sounds pretty good to me though
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Oh yeah, if we do end up putting slabs everywhere the main problem will be stuff spawning in trees / on buildings / in mines

Sort of like the experience I had on murder island last week...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

That's why general fencing and some golem guards might be best..

They don't despawn from my understanding, but they also don't heal so they will need to be replaced over time.

Iron Golems are fairly predictable to pen and manage... Snow golems have ranged attacks but are suicidal and attack anything.

Mr. Analog

Snow golem is also pretty weak, I made one once, it didn't last the night.

Now I wonder if I made a horde of them...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

If you're looking to stop mobs from spawning, first thing is a fence.  Frontier Fencing Co can help out with a few dozen stacks of fencing if needed (my large chest of fences is about 3/4 full, I think).  Then you need to identify all the places mobs can spawn.  I recommend installing Zombe Mod Pack's "safe" mod.  That'll mark any area where mobs can spawn based on light level.  You'd be surprised what places are and are not safe.  I like the idea of golems patrolling, because if you don't cover absolutely every spot with light or a slab, they're all going to spawn _somewhere_.

Would you want to keep the trees up or chop them down?  That'll make a big difference to the strategy employed.  If you keep trees, I found birch trees are better because they're guaranteed to have their leaves start at least two off the ground.  That gives better sight lines and allows you to move under them more freely.  Frontier Fencing Co might have a couple stacks of birch saplings if needed.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

A one high fence is usually enough to keep a iron golem in an area, they are two wide so if you want them to patrol you need to leave enough spacing for them to get around so paths should probably be 3 or 4 wide to allow passing them.

I don't inhabit spawn city so I can't say anything about the trees....

Darren Dirt

I usually just log off in the hospital, it's the safest of safe zones with no worries about spawns.

Oh, wait, wrong game -- all the key words in this thread title confused my noggin.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Lazybones

Then stay out of the minecraft forum... ?

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Hmm I could create some new security groups that are self serve, opt in and opt out... Then you could completely ignore minecraft.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Lazybones on May 02, 2012, 11:28:49 AM
Hmm I could create some new security groups that are self serve, opt in and opt out... Then you could completely ignore minecraft.

It's like I get a webcam viewpoint of a distant vacation spot you all went to ... I don't mind lurking with the occasional pun contribution or whatnot. BUT if you wanna kick me out of your "club" go right ahead  :-X

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Tom

Quote from: Darren Dirt on May 02, 2012, 12:58:38 PM

It's like I get a webcam viewpoint of a distant vacation spot you all went to ... I don't mind lurking with the occasional pun contribution or whatnot. BUT if you wanna kick me out of your "club" go right ahead  :-X
I don't think that was what was intended ;)
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on May 02, 2012, 01:10:36 PM
Quote from: Darren Dirt on May 02, 2012, 12:58:38 PM

I don't think that was what was intended ;)

Sounds like someone wants in to me...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 02, 2012, 01:33:47 PM
Sounds like someone wants in to me...

watches and frequently comments on Minecraft threads
Has a minecraft avatar now....

Ether that or he wants use all to play CoH, I can't tell if the previous post was a joke or a jab. ???