Tremulous FPS +RTS +GPL.. New game for Frag?

Started by Lazybones, May 31, 2006, 10:45:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

http://www.tremulous.net/index.php?section=about

QuoteSummary

Tremulous is a free, open source game that blends a team based FPS with elements of an RTS. Players can choose from 2 unique races, aliens and humans. Players on both teams are able to build working structures in-game like an RTS. These structures provide many functions, the most important being spawning. The designated builders must ensure there are spawn structures or other players will not be able to rejoin the game after death. Other structures provide automated base defense (to some degree), healing functions and much more...

Player advancement is different depending on which team you are on. As a human, players are rewarded with credits for each alien kill. These credits may be used to purchase new weapons and upgrades from the "Armoury". The alien team advances quite differently. Upon killing a human foe, the alien is able to evolve into a new class. The more kills gained the more powerful the classes available.

The overall objective behind Tremulous is to eliminate the opposing team. This is achieved by not only killing the opposing players but also removing their ability to respawn by destroying their spawn structures.

Looks like the natural selection mod for Half life, but it is Free and GPLed.. Something I think we should check out.

Mr. Analog

Sounds Savage-like, I likey! I'll have to download it tonight!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Hmmm will have to check this out... GPL games are not always the best out there... but hey this part of the gaming market only has a few games to compete with, so more the better :D.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Melbosa

Oooo watching video... Aliens remind me of playing AvP back in the day.

Ustauk

Melbosa

One thing I did notice is that I don't think it has a RTS view like Savage for the builder... which I really liked :(.  I think you just have a construction unit you can be, and you build stuff inside the maps.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on May 31, 2006, 11:10:15 AMGPL games are not always the best out there...

Meaning what exactly? FreeCiv, Free Orion and MAME kick much ass. Or were you thinking OpenGL games aren't always good (which, considering how decrepit OpenGL is... well fun is fun sometimes)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Ha! We should dig up AVP and have a few rounds  8)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 31, 2006, 11:16:33 AM
Quote from: Melbosa on May 31, 2006, 11:10:15 AMGPL games are not always the best out there...

Meaning what exactly? FreeCiv, Free Orion and MAME kick much ass. Or were you thinking OpenGL games aren't always good (which, considering how decrepit OpenGL is... well fun is fun sometimes)

Just an observation from experience.  Not shooting down the games that fall under GPL, just haven't played one yet that has been excellent.  I do enjoy them, and who knows this may be one that is.  Again just an observation, not a shot.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on May 31, 2006, 11:21:14 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 31, 2006, 11:16:33 AM

Just an observation from experience.  Not shooting down the games that fall under GPL, just haven't played one yet that has been excellent.  I do enjoy them, and who knows this may be one that is.  Again just an observation, not a shot.

Well, I'm not sure what you were saying then because there are a lot of crappy non-GPL games too.

Here's a huge list of crappy games! Enjoy!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

This is more like a mod or a total conversion for Quake 3, just happens that the Quake 3 engine is open source now so the complete game + mod is free.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on May 31, 2006, 11:27:51 AM
This is more like a mod or a total conversion for Quake 3, just happens that the Quake 3 engine is open source now so the complete game + mod is free.

That rocks!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 31, 2006, 11:27:06 AM
Well, I'm not sure what you were saying then because there are a lot of crappy non-GPL games too.

Agreed.  I apologize if my posts are antagonizing you this week Mr. Analog, as that is not my intent at all.

Cova

Quote from: Melbosa on May 31, 2006, 11:40:29 AM
Agreed.  I apologize if my posts are antagonizing you this week Mr. Analog, as that is not my intent at all.

Oh, but its so much fun.

:)

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on May 31, 2006, 11:40:29 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 31, 2006, 11:27:06 AM

Well, I am a bit stressed because of stupid @%&# at work, but "GPL games are not always the best out there" is a very broad statement. It's like saying "Y'know a lot of Mazdas suck". You're gonig to hear some responses.

Unless you meant that OpenGL sucks (in which case I agree LOL).
By Grabthar's Hammer