Portal too short and over rated?

Started by Lazybones, October 18, 2007, 04:49:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

So I breezed through Portals main story mode in about 4 hours and was left thinking.. that was it?

I was also left thinking that the mechanic of portals them selves really isn't that ground breaking and the puzzles them selves reminded me if the types of puzzles you might find in a current Zelda game.

After story mode which is only 19 levels long you are left with the 6 advanced puzzles which are just harder versions of 6 regular levels, and challenges which are just time mode and fewest X restrictions on regular puzzle levels from the story mode.

If it wasn't bundled with Team Fortress and Episode 2 I would rate its value rather low.

Fun but WAY to short.

Lazybones

For those that finish the game you get the following song, if you finished the game and through the song was great or never plan to here is the song.

End credits song by the computer that watches you all game.

Warning if you haven't finished portal this is a spoiler...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjGfgV7rJHI&mode=related&search=

Melbosa

I'm stuck on one of the puzzles at the moment.  Can't figure it out for the life of me... although the last time I tried I was so drunk I almost fell on my keyboard with my face.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

Quote from: Melbosa on October 19, 2007, 07:57:20 AM
I'm stuck on one of the puzzles at the moment.  Can't figure it out for the life of me... although the last time I tried I was so drunk I almost fell on my keyboard with my face.

What level? I might be able to give you a hint if you really really want one. I found some of the puzzles where easier if I stopped playing and came back to it later.

Maybe my comments where a little harsh in my first post, I think the game is fun, the plot and humor where perfect. Still my only beef is content... It needs twice as many levels.

Melbosa

Level was the one with Acid at the bottom, multiple tripod shooters, and a rotating energy cannon thingy.  I have taken out all the tripod dudes, and got the launch to the other side down but don't know what to do once on the top section of the far side of the level (i know terrible description, but remember this is what I can remember while being drunk at the time of playing it :P).

Lazybones

That is level 18 I believe.

Did you activate the bridge before jumping to the far side?

Melbosa

Kinda had to in order to get the button thingy on the bottom part of the level in order to setup for the long jump to the top.

Lazybones

Where you able to get into the top part with the cube?

Melbosa

Yeah, but don't know how to get the cube out of the thingy, nor what to do with it when I have it.

Lazybones

Without giving too much away, you need to take the cube back out of that room the way you came in.

Melbosa

Lazybones

Not bad, but it is not the same without GLaDOS

The cake is a lie!

Shayne

I would have paid $40 for Portal alone.  What a @%&#ing fantastically amazing game.

Lazybones

It is perfectly polished, however TOO SHORT... Never playing it before I smashed through it in about 4 hours, and that includes the time I spend going through the commentary parts.

I think it need to ship with more levels.. and that the challenge/ advanced levels needed to be different levels, not modifications of the story levels.

When I completed the story mode I literally went WTF, I though I was only half way through....

Shayne

I can agree at the length, I'm guessing that development sorta hit the wall with content themselves.  You'd have to hire some pretty interesting thinkers to come up with puzzles.  What go me sort of annoyed was the length of the "escape" sequence, seemed to go on just as long as the puzzles did.

Perhaps not $40.  But if it was an XBLA game I would have gladly put down $25 worth of points and not felt raped.