Portal too short and over rated?

Started by Lazybones, October 18, 2007, 04:49:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Did you listen to any of the commentary?

It seems like the two biggest time sinks where getting the physics to work via the portals without killing performance, and second play testing levels to ensure users couldn't make unintended shortcuts to bypass intended puzzles.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

The commentary was funny especially during the final puzzle.  I love the song at the end :)

Mr. Analog

So, Tonnica just about finished Portal last night, after downloading Steam and buying the Orange Box (and watching some DVDs and having dinner). I haven't tried it yet myself but I was surprised how quickly she whipped through the game. Maybe it is a bit overblown.

I see a lot of people gushing about it, it kinda makes me a bit sick really but I haven't tried it yet so I'll shut my big yapper.

If I find one more person who tells me there is no cake I'll lose what's left of my mind...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Buying the Orange Box for just Portal will be a let down.  Buying the Orange Box for the whole package is a huge savings and great deal.

That aside, despite how short the Portal game is I still really enjoyed it and it left me definately with wanting more.  This is a sign of a good game IMO, even if it is short.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Well yeah! Now I have a partner for TF2 in the hizouse!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

I didn't realize just how short it was till i checked out my LiveEye.  Only took me 3 hours 28 minutes but that includes a few pauses and a redo of the final battle.  Shocking.  It might not be the second coming of Christ, but as far as puzzle games go their is no equal IMHO (maybe Planet Puzzle League).

Now I'm debating if I should get all the Portal Achievements or just go right into the HL2 campaign.

Lazybones

Quote from: Shayne on October 24, 2007, 08:59:55 AM
I didn't realize just how short it was till i checked out my LiveEye.  Only took me 3 hours 28 minutes but that includes a few pauses and a redo of the final battle.  Shocking.  It might not be the second coming of Christ, but as far as puzzle games go their is no equal IMHO (maybe Planet Puzzle League).

Now I'm debating if I should get all the Portal Achievements or just go right into the HL2 campaign.

The Advanced levels do add a great deal more challenge to the original levels, however I can't see my self doing the fewest portal or fewest step challenges.

The falling achievement would require way too much free fall time from my calculation, as long as your character didn't drift I suppose you could just leave the pc and come back later.

Shayne

Ya, the freefall one from what Ive found takes about 15-20 minutes.  I might queue it up this afternoon and see.

Tonnica

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 24, 2007, 08:31:44 AM[...] after downloading Steam and buying the Orange Box (and watching some DVDs and having dinner). I haven't tried it yet myself but I was surprised how quickly she whipped through the game. Maybe it is a bit overblown.

After downloading Steam and buying/downloading the Orange Box (and watching some DVDs and having dinner) and playing Peggle Extreme. I had to take some time in between Peggle and watching some DVDs for HL2 to download first.

Overall: yeah, it's short but it's fun. The trappings and mechanics of the game really make it. Considering the nature of the puzzles, it could have quickly descended into repetition if it had been longer. Instead it was a nice showcase game and a fun little bonus to come along with Half Life 2 and Team Fortress 2. I hope they come out with some expansions to add more levels. I'd even be interested in generating some custom challenge Portal maps of my own.

For the record my favourite level is is the Companion Cube level. Made me laugh so hard.

Shayne

I like the impossible/broken level (its really early).

Shayne

Quote from: Lazybones on October 24, 2007, 01:55:01 PMThe falling achievement would require way too much free fall time from my calculation, as long as your character didn't drift I suppose you could just leave the pc and come back later.

I set up the perfect portal system that didn't give me any sort of drift.  I left the 360 to its own devices, had a shower, came back 10 minutes later and i was unlocked.  Rather simple really.

Lazybones

Ya, I got board and unlocked it as well with the same method. I think it is game cumulative falling.

I started some of the challenge maps as well... I still kinda dis like the level re use but I have to admit the challenges are hard.

Shayne

I didn't realize the PC version had unlock able achievements as well.  Are they part of the Windows XBL or are they just a Steam thing?

I'm not sure I will go back to portal.  Loved it, but after unlocking the terminal velocity achievement and starting on one of the more advanced puzzles the thrill was gone.  TF2 on the other hand....

Lazybones

Online Steam stats and achievements are available for TF2 http://steamcommunity.com/id/BagOBones/stats/TF2 . Portal has in game ones on the PC but they currently don't appear online as far as I can tell