PS3 release schedule sucks the big one...

Started by Melbosa, October 24, 2007, 01:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Shayne on October 24, 2007, 03:53:03 PMThese forums actually support my market segregation argument.  Melbosa, Cova, Druid, AdamS and myself are all sporting Xbox 360s for the hardcore games with lots of graphics and gameplay.  Dare I say the hardcore gamers.  Tonnica, MrA, Throin (not sure who else) have Wii, the less hardcore and people with families.  Lazy has a Wii as well, but is looking at a 360 when a few games he is looking forward to arrive.

What the heck are you on about? "Hardcore"? What does that even mean? More hours of games played? The types of games being played? The content?

To hold a console up as a "Badge of Badassness" is fanboyism. I'm not opposed to owning an XBox, but given how much gameplay I already invest on my PC I don't see what the XBox is going to give me that I don't already get.

I assert that you have divided gamers into two groups; those who own XBoxes like yourself and those who do not.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Shayne on October 24, 2007, 03:53:03 PM
These forums actually support my market segregation argument [..] I'm sure their is overlap in the marketplace.  much like a ven diagram.  its not like owning one takes you out of the market for the other.

Okay, aren't those two contradictory statements?  Either there's segregation where people are in one group or the other and only buy one or the other, or there is overlap where people buy both...

I could be wrong, I just feel sorry for those that are so closed to a second console and praise the Wii for Mario and Zelda

This made me do a double-take.  I had to go back and see who started the Wii-vs-Xbox360 debate in this thread:

Quote from: Shayne on October 24, 2007, 02:24:27 PM
Nintendo is less competition now then the PS2 was in the last generation.

I could be wrong, I just feel sorry for those that are so closed to a second console and praise the Wii for Mario and Zelda that they are missing out on the masterpieces that are Bioshock, Final Fantasy, Gears of War, Metal Gear Solid, Mass Effect, Halo, etc.  Different strokes for different folks, but getting excited for Zelda 15 is a little hard.

I'm not exactly excited about Halo 3, myself.  Correct me if I'm wrong, are Bioshock, Final Fantasy, Gears of War, Metal Gear Sold, Mass Effect, and Halo all action/shooter games?  Are there any non-shooter games that you're actually interested in playing?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Shayne

I'm not sure what I mean by Hardcore gamer but you don't see the a connection of the people who play each console here on the forum?  I do.  Guess I'm naive or whatever I was called earlier.  We are all gamers everywhere or whatever.  I'll stick to online, hidef, fancy graphics, great marketplace and media center, you can have your waggle.

As for the argument of one or the other, I didn start that Thorin, MrA did with his statement in the topic above mine.  All I said was that Sony was more of a competition then Nintendo is this time around as they sough the same audience.

As for the games listed, 2 are RPGs.  1 is a FPS/RPG, 1 is an FPS and 2 are "Action" games.

Shayne

So yes PS3 has issues in the future, Nintendo and Microsoft seem to have it figured out.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Shayne on October 24, 2007, 04:54:14 PMI'll stick to online, hidef, fancy graphics, great marketplace and media center, you can have your waggle.
There you go again, marginalizing... but you don't really prove your point either. There is a big pie called "gamers", each publisher does not see part of the pie and say that's all they want. That's a ridiculous notion, even without a degree in market analysis.

I think they may focus on a demographic for marketing / image purposes but ultimately they are always in direct competition with each other.

XBox 360 Wins because it has a great lineup of games, met expectations and has a lot of added value (Live! for one).

Wii Wins because it has a great lineup of games, met expectations and was sold at a value.

PS3 Fails because it has a limited lineup of games, did not meet expectations and is not a good value.

OT: I didn't mean for this thread to fly off the handle (complete with name calling) but when you say something like "Nintendo is less competition now then the PS2 was in the last generation." as a rebuttal when clearly sales figures argue against that I'd like you to at least explain what you meant by it otherwise it's just your opinion, which is all fine and well, but irrelevant to the discussion.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

Aye, things went a tad astray.  At least we all agree on the PS3 :P

Shayne

QuoteSony reported its second quarter earnings today, and while the company's overall profits were up, at ?90.5B ($790M), the Playstation division's losses for the quarter came in at ?96.7B ($844M), double those of a year ago.