Double Fine Adventure

Started by Lazybones, February 12, 2012, 09:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/66710809/double-fine-adventure

days to go

The project is already WAY over its funding goal, but interestingly $15 gets you the game, beta access on steam and access to developer forums during development.

Darren Dirt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_Fine_Productions#Other_projects

pretty freakin' cool to have almost THREE TIMES your goal in less than 24 hours ... esp. when your goal is 400k.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_Fine_Adventure
"The success of the Kickstarter project has been seen by some journalists as a shakeup in the traditional publication model for video games... 'You're making us all feel like we're a part of something historic.' "

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Lazybones

I like the video that goes with it http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-pSteVDn78s

$15 for a new adventure game from these guys seems to be a sure with to me..

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Lazybones on February 12, 2012, 10:37:25 PM
I like the video that goes with it http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-pSteVDn78s

"Dude, I'm not talking to you [epic push out of frame]..." rofl Tim is da man!

yeesh: $1,668,951 PLEDGED OF $400,000 GOAL, 29 DAYS TO GO

as Tim said, it's win-if-success, win-if-fail: "2 Player Productions will be documenting the creative process and releasing monthly video updates exclusively to the Kickstarter backers. This documentary series will strive to make the viewer as much a part of the process as possible by showing a game grow from start to finish, with all the passion, humor, and heartbreak that happens along the way.  Double Fine is committed to total transparency with this project, ensuring it is one of the most honest depictions of game development ever conceived."

also weird wtf moment: the Related Videos included a neat little Will Ferrell cameo thingie

Lazybones

I think the attached is fitting.

Lazybones

http://youtu.be/TFKwplDBmgg

Due the higher than expecteded funding:
Platforms: win,Mac,Linux, iOS and Android
Voice acting
And multi language translation.

Darren Dirt

funny fact #1:
$1,861,562 PLEDGED OF $400,000 GOAL , 26 DAYS TO GO

funny fact #2: as it keeps going up it is ENTIRELY from pledges of $100 or $30 or $15 ... because EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THE "bigger" pledge amounts ($250+) are "sold out", which means this coulda gone WAY higher if they just allowed for more people to get autographed posters this could easily be > $2Million...

Lazybones

Mr. Analog

There was an interesting point brought up on /. yesterday, Kickstarter is sort of like being a venture capitalist without the ROI. If the game gets made, but people still have to buy it, there's no return on the investment for the people who put money in.

I wonder how taxes work on this sort of income? Is it like investment capital or is it a tax free donation?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 13, 2012, 09:36:22 AM
There was an interesting point brought up on /. yesterday, Kickstarter is sort of like being a venture capitalist without the ROI. If the game gets made, but people still have to buy it, there's no return on the investment for the people who put money in.

I wonder how taxes work on this sort of income? Is it like investment capital or is it a tax free donation?

With a minimum of $15 you get beta access and a copy of the game..... I consider it a CHEAP pre-order if anything... Hell If you kicked in $100 you get a T-shirt and other stuff including the game, it is STILL in line with the Deluxe/ Collectors editions of games these days, accept you know the money is ACTUALLY going to the developer and in this case increasing feature-set and platform support.

It's not an investment.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on March 13, 2012, 09:40:58 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 13, 2012, 09:36:22 AM

With a minimum of $15 you get beta access and a copy of the game..... I consider it a CHEAP pre-order if anything... Hell If you kicked in $100 you get a T-shirt and other stuff including the game, it is STILL in line with the Deluxe/ Collectors editions of games these days, accept you know the money is ACTUALLY going to the developer and in this case increasing feature-set and platform support.

It's not an investment.

Well it all hinges on if the game actually makes it to beta (and beyond) of course.

That fact that people get something out of the deal does sort of make it an investment.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Darren Dirt on February 16, 2012, 07:37:07 AM
funny fact #1:
$1,861,562 PLEDGED OF $400,000 GOAL , 26 DAYS TO GO

$3,062,742 PLEDGED OF $400,000 GOAL , 8 *HOURS* TO GO

jeepers!

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 13, 2012, 09:43:12 AM
Well it all hinges on if the game actually makes it to beta (and beyond) of course.

That fact that people get something out of the deal does sort of make it an investment.

True, but it isn't an investment you expect to make a return on, only to get SOMETHING in return. Those that donate more than $100 are basically giving money away.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on March 13, 2012, 10:15:44 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 13, 2012, 09:43:12 AM

True, but it isn't an investment you expect to make a return on, only to get SOMETHING in return. Those that donate more than $100 are basically giving money away.

Exactly what I was saying, it's like VC capital investment but without any possibility of return.

It's an interesting concept.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

$100 or more gets you more exclusive things.  To some people, those things have value, to others they do not.  I'm sure the people who pledged $1,000 to get the mini portrait of themselves feel it has that value to them.

Venture capitalists invest money, then expect to get more money out than they put in.  This doesn't always happen.  This is a risk they take.

Kickstarter pledgers invest money, then expect to get swag out.  This doesn't always happen.  This is a risk they take.

In the latter, however, the artist is driven by their desire to create and finish their artistic project, whereas in the former the artist is driven by their desire to keep the capitalists from trying to take everything they own.  In that sense, Kickstarter enables and encourages creativity and expression much more so than any regular investor would.

Interesting question about the tax implications, though.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful