Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings HHGG easter egg

Started by Darren Dirt, June 28, 2012, 02:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

fun fact #1: Douglas Adams in drag = the still* frame picture in the animation for "worst poetry in the universe"

fun fact #2: the name "Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings" is a slight modification of a REAL NAME, of a real-life poet who, Adams was trying to warn the world, really stinks up the joint with his verbiage.

http://www.eeggs.com/items/22584.html

fun fact #3: the still* frame also contained some horrible poetry about rotting swans... Wikipedia says it's also a real thing

fun fact #4: Adams felt so strongly that he claims this poetry = worse than that of the Vogons.

(original source that doesn't like direct-linking: http://www.eeggs.com/images/items/280.full.jpg )

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

I remember reading about this a long time ago, quite frightening really.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

and now to balance out the frighteningness, how about a tune by The Eagles...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rOMGIbY-9s

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on June 28, 2012, 03:28:44 PM

Well of course! What HHGTTG fan doesn't have this particular album!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 28, 2012, 03:30:41 PM
Quote from: Darren Dirt on June 28, 2012, 03:28:44 PM

Well of course! What HHGTTG fan doesn't have this particular album!

Now you've made me feel sad.

Mr. Analog

Just like, don't have it around if The Dude visits...

:)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 28, 2012, 03:51:53 PM
Just like, don't have it around if The Dude visits...

:)

or Elaine Benes from Seinfeld?

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 29, 2012, 07:21:23 AM
The witchay woman?

You bet your ass

"I'd know that ass anywhere"? (oops wrong excellent from-the-mind-of-Larry-David show)

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

HHGD (Hitchhikers Guide to Daleks)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWn_1yOFpfU

VERY well done animation and writing, and the voice work is very Peter Jones-like (a dramatic improvement over his initial attempt)

the writing is pretty deep and rewards a 2nd viewing -- there's this one thing it mentions about "Football" (especially timely considering it's World Cup Fever time)

Mr. Analog

Blarg! People and their @%&#ty microphones ruin so much on YouTube.

It's not that expensive to buy a decent sounding mic!

Step 1: Go to a music store and buy a Shure SV100 Dynamic Handheld Microphone for thirty Canadian dollars, if Canadian dollars are not available in your part of the galaxy simply set up a system of barter for goods or if those are unavailable, services.

Step 2: When buying your Dynamic Handheld Microphone ignore the conventional advice that might lead you to believe you should use your hand to operate it and purchase a sturdy microphone stand, this may in fact cost more than the microphone however it features multiple functions such as a bludgeon for particularly bad poets, a device by which hard foodstuffs may be mashed and on certain planets can be used as a flotation device (where liquid lead is the fluid you find yourself uncomfortably suspended in).

Step 3: While you're on a spending spree already it is wise to buy a pop filter, it is merely a fabric covered hoop that creates a portal to an alternate dimension where the motion of air forced from the mouth is substantially diminished by a miscalculation of thermodynamics on God's part (see chapter "God"), the end effect is whistling, blowing and spraying sounds emitted by your vocal orifice are eliminated and exist in a wholly non-functional universe where mimes roam freely and unchecked.

Step 4: Purchase an XLR to USB conversion device, this allows you to connect your microphone to any computer that supports the horrifically misnamed Universal Serial Bus interface, this name in fact has caused innumerable problems in the universe at large confusing travellers who thought they had purchased valid transit tickets to Sirius only find themselves equipped with small storage devices designed for use with rudimentary computers built by low intelligence apes.

The final Step involves connecting all of the aforementioned items, making sure not to urinate on them, and begin overdubbing your video clips of juvenile beasts performing amusing tricks.

It has been estimated that the number of videos with poor audio quality in the universe is rapidly increasing at such a rate that within 7 galactic cycles the dominant form of life in the galaxy will be comprised of sentient cute kitten videos.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

^ grumpy old man much?

;)

Sure it's not professional BBC level audio, but it's not BAD (i.e. not worth skipping the video because of it) ... heck you listen to Yogscast all the time and there's sometimes audio issues in their mass of video product (volume inconsistencies, the occasional distortion or background noise).

Although I like how your rant was totally "in character" with the theme of the video I linked to.

Mr. Analog

Yogscast generally has good audio, even some of the corollary video blogs are mostly listenable, I found this to be ... hard to hear

And yes, of course I was going to parody one of the things that's been burnt into my brain since the early 80s :)

I shall never forget when it was first broadcast :)

I still think digital watches are a neat idea haha
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

So the conversation came up on chat about HHGTTG references in things among my animation chums and they pointed out this little weirdness from a Disney cartoon of all things...

From an episode of "Aladdin" ~1994

"Oh no, not again!"

Mind officially blown.
By Grabthar's Hammer