Poker: some things about this game that you might not have realized...

Started by Darren Dirt, October 15, 2007, 05:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

...just thought I'd pass this along, because as I've said on occasion I do not myself want to be a "fulltime poker professional" (such an unstable, time-consuming, anti-social way of making a living!) , nor do I desire my children to choose that as a career (although obviously in the end it's up to them, but "for the record" I think as a career choice it has many downsides that almost certainly outweigh the possible benefits).

Keeping all that in mind (verbose Darren as usual), I *do* think that as an occasional leisure activity or regular hobby there are a number of unexpected or unappreciated benefits it offers, especially applicable to aspects of life outside of just playing games.

The reason for this email: I just found the following article. Although it is extremely lengthy, the summary at the end says it all, putting into "point form" what I think I've innately sensed for a while when I think about this game's appeal (and continually growing popularity), but have never quite been able to articulate in any detail.

The key idea is summed up thusly:

Most of poker's lessons are variations on one theme:

>> Think carefully before you act. <<

That principle applies everywhere, and far too many people ignore it.

^ In other words, in life people (including young adults) will take actions, but too often they do so without making informed choices, or without thinking in advance at all (young adults are especially famous for this as a general rule).

But if playing a "game" that soon gets them in the habit of logically thinking ahead about the likely results of their actions, and strengthens their skill in exercising discipline and patience to take positive-expectation actions and to avoid impulsive, harmful, even dangerous actions... that alone is why "Poker is good for you". :)

And especially compared to passively watching TV shows, or repeatedly playing the same repetition interactive blinking-lights a-muse-ments that too much of the current generation is hooked on, I think -- with moderation -- Poker is definitely not as "evil" as some folks seem to want to claim...

POKER IS GOOD FOR YOU

by David Sklansky & Alan N. Schoonmaker, Ph.D.

http://www.twoplustwo.com/magazine/issue33/sklansyschoonmaker0907.html
...All good poker players know and apply David Sklansky's "Fundamental Theorem of Poker." Less well known is his "Fundamental Theorem of Investing:"

"Before making any investment ... you must be able to explain why the other party is willing to take the other side of the deal... if you cannot come up with a good explanation, your buy, sell or bet is almost certainly not as good as you think."

Unfortunately, most people don't seriously analyze the other party's reasons. Their attention is focused primarily on themselves, their economics, their analysis, and their reasons for buying or selling. If they thought about the other party's motives and perceptions, they might realize that they are making a disastrous mistake.

The principle is very clear. You should always determine as accurately as you can why the other party is willing to sell, buy, or do other business with you. If you don't understand his reasons, "all the statistics, income statements, balance sheet data, or analysts' recommendations mean little. There is still some reason they are taking your bet - and, if you don't know it, you don't like it."

We could quote many other authorities on the value of understanding other people, but there is no need to do so. Instead, we will close with a quotation from one of the best selling books of all time: How To Win Friends And Influence People by Dale Carnegie: "If there is one secret of success, it lies in the ability to get the other person's point of view and see things from that person's angle as well as your own."

Since you can't win at poker without seeing things from other people's angle, you will learn this valuable lesson. You will then become much better at winning friends, influencing people, and making decisions about virtually everything.

CONCLUSIONS
We have described many - but certainly not all - of the skills and personal qualities that poker develops. Most of poker's lessons are variations on one theme: Think carefully before you act. That principle applies everywhere, and far too many people ignore it.

The government's attempts to outlaw poker are based upon a misconception of its nature and value. It is not "just gambling," and it should not be subject to the same rules and penalties as other gambling games. Instead, the government should allow you to play poker in regulated and taxed places because poker is good for you and good for America.

SUMMARY OF POKER'S BENEFITS
Because this essay is so long, you may not want to reprint all of it. We believe that a good summary is simply a list of the headings. Please feel free to reprint as much or as little as you wish.

Poker Is A Great Teacher.

Poker Improves Your Study Habits.

Poker Develops Your Math Skills.

Poker Develops Your Logical Thinking.

Poker Develops Your Concentration.

Poker Develops Your Patience.

Poker Develops Your Discipline.

Poker Teaches You To Focus On The Long Term.

Poker Teaches You That Forgoing A Profit Equals Taking A Loss (And Vice Versa).

Poker Develops Your Realism.

Poker Teaches You To Adjust To Changing Situations.

Poker Teaches You To Adjust To Diverse People.

Poker Teaches You To Avoid Racial, Sexual And Other Prejudices.

Poker Teaches You How To Handle Losses.

Poker Teaches You To Depersonalize Conflict.

Poker Teaches You How To Plan.

Poker Teaches You How To Handle Deceptive People.

Poker Teaches You How To Choose The Best "Game."

Poker Teaches You The Benefits Of Acting Last.

Poker Teaches You To Focus On The Important Subjects.

Poker Teaches You How To Apply Probability Theory.

Poker Teaches You How To Conduct Risk-Reward Analyses.

Poker Teaches You To Put Things In Context And Evaluate All Variables.

Poker Teaches You How To "Get Into People's Heads."

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

I am willing to host -- complete with new set of chips and a new poker-table felt top! -- any Monday thru Thursday in which at least 3 of you guys express interest (with a few days in advance, my kid-full weekends are chaotic  :wall: ) but if Handsome Devil is willing to host that might be preferable as his place is so freakin' clean and organized it makes us non-childless folks jealous :-\

...or maybe ask Ustauk, if he's willing -- he still enjoys playing games with his friends, right? ( ;) )

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Bixby

We just had a game at a friend's last night. Three tables and 24 people. Wow. What a hoot playing down to 1 winner from a field of 24.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Bixby on October 21, 2007, 04:09:41 PM
We just had a game at a friend's last night. Three tables and 24 people. Wow. What a hoot playing down to 1 winner from a field of 24.

Sounds like a good time :D
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Poker is a game of two prime skills.

First is the skill of recognizing and making good investments of your resources while avoiding making bad ones.

Second is the skill of reading your opponent's strategy without revealing your own.

These are useful skills for moving successfully not only at a poker table but as well in law, business and romance.

- Charles Nesson, founder of the "Global Poker Strategic Thinking Society".

(methinks the success of any endeavor against adversaries depends on consistent utilization of these 2 skills)