So I'm considering getting a bigger monitor...

Started by Darren Dirt, August 28, 2007, 09:25:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

1 LG Flatron L226WTX-BN 22in Widescreen LCD w- DVI, 5ms, 30001 Contrast, Black - Memory Express
$269.95

2 Acer AL2216Wbd 22in Widescreen LCD w- DVI, 5ms, Black - Memory Express
$269.96

3 BenQ FP222WH 22in Widescreen LCD w- DVI, HDMI, 5ms, Black ($269_95 After $10 Instant Rebate 8-7-8-31) - Memory Express
$269.95

As you can see, all 3 of these are $269.95, and the specs all seem virtually identical, except the LG has 3000:1 contrast instead of 700:1 (although it says "Digital Contrast" ?? )

So do any of you hardware geeks have any thoughts as to the quality of picture, durability, etc. of any of these brands?

Also when it says "Native Resolution: 1680 x 1050" (all 3 say this) does that mean that if I try to go higher, like 1600 x 1200 , that it will "pan" the extra pixels, or will it just not work?

...I also wonder if M.E. has the best prices right now, considering it's "Back To School" time -- anyone else looking at hardware prices this month?

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

As with any piece of computer hardware you must consider what you use your monitor for the most. If you are a gamer and response time is a factor for you you will have to consider that. If you can't tell the difference between 4 ms and 8 ms response time while reading /. then it won't matter.

One thing that I've had to deal with recently is the colour balance / brightness of my current monitor and how it affects my artwork. I can't see colour so good but I know when things are too dark or too light and recently I've been questioning whether or not my colouring is too dark and whether I've been going to extremes in terms of colour depth. I look on my monitor and everything is nice and brilliant. I look at it on my work monitor or on the Wii browser and it seems dark to me. Other problems I can work around for the most part, I mean the first big problem I had with it is that it's native resolution. While beautiful for games and video it really blows it for reading. I upped my fonts to Windows Extra Large AND I changed my OS dpi and I still have to Alt+Scroll when reading stuff on the world wide weeb.

The final thing is that you know all those great YouTube videos and standard def DVDs you have? Prepare to be annoyed by artifacts and other blemishes. Granted there is a lot of video content out there that is encoded at a nice high resolution but there is an overwhelming amount of stuff recorded at low resolutions which might look fine on a 1024x768 display but look like ass at higher res.

Other than those few niggling details, and I'm picky with monitors, getting a new fangled high-res B-I-G sub-$500 monitor is a satisfying experience.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Darren Dirt on August 28, 2007, 09:25:41 AMAlso when it says "Native Resolution: 1680 x 1050" (all 3 say this) does that mean that if I try to go higher, like 1600 x 1200 , that it will "pan" the extra pixels, or will it just not work?
Generally, it just doesn't work. You can however set a smaller mode if that's your thing. Though it'll just use some built in scaler chip that may or may not make the image look like ass.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Panning is a function of your video card NOT the monitor, you will need to check your cards driver documentation if it supports panning at higher res.

LCDs ONLY look clear at their native resolution, running lower than native res always adds a bit of blur to everything as the software interpolates the resolution. However some do better than others and it also depends if you set it in proper multipules of the native.

Mr. Analog

I found that my video was stretched to meet the lower res requirements and that it only looks good at it's native res with the larger font settings.

Again, they're not all the same when you go over to Best Buy (or wherever you're purchasing from eventually that has them on display) take a look at a few websites (etc) that you frequent using that monitor if you can to see what they look like. Then check what contrast / brightness settings they have the monitor set to. If everything looks good then go for it.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on August 28, 2007, 02:24:13 PM
Quote from: Darren Dirt on August 28, 2007, 09:25:41 AMAlso when it says "Native Resolution: 1680 x 1050" (all 3 say this) does that mean that if I try to go higher, like 1600 x 1200 , that it will "pan" the extra pixels, or will it just not work?
Generally, it just doesn't work. You can however set a smaller mode if that's your thing. Though it'll just use some built in scaler chip that may or may not make the image look like ass.

My specific need, part of the reason I'm thinking of going up from my 19incher, is to 4-table poker games -- which is perfect no-overlap at 1600x1200.

Plus I do an awful lot of surfing while watching a Youtube video at the same time, so in that case 1600x1050 would be just fine. But it's mainly the ability to have 1600x1200 without any panning. :-\

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on August 28, 2007, 03:10:18 PM
Quote from: Tom on August 28, 2007, 02:24:13 PM

My specific need, part of the reason I'm thinking of going up from my 19incher, is to 4-table poker games -- which is perfect no-overlap at 1600x1200.

Plus I do an awful lot of surfing while watching a Youtube video at the same time, so in that case 1600x1050 would be just fine. But it's mainly the ability to have 1600x1200 without any panning. :-\

In that you are safe, just make sure the text is readable...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

You'll have trouble finding 1600x1200 LCD monitors, as they're all going widescreen (16:9 aspect ratio) now, and 1600x1200 is the old 4:3 aspect ratio.

And I second (or third) the opinion that the LCD monitors only look good at their native resolutions.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Melbosa

Agreed Native Rez is the only way to utilize a LCD monitor.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on August 28, 2007, 03:23:23 PM
Agreed Native Rez is the only way to utilize a LCD monitor.

Well, without permanently fuzzing your eyes out...

FYI, I have a 16:9 ratio and I love it!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Cova

Definitely run native resolution.

As for what res to get - I wouldn't get anything that can't do at least 1600x1200 either (though for different reasons).  You can get it on a 4:3 aspect monitor, eg the two HP L2035 LCD's on my desk at work are 16x12 native res monitors.  Or in a wide-screen you'd actually be looking for a 16:10 aspect, which is fairly common for monitors that do 1920x1200 - thereby providing enough screen space to display a 1600x1200 resolution PC desktop, or a 1920x1080 1080p HD video, both without any scaling.

Darren Dirt

Hmmm... Looks to be a difficult task to find a non-widescreen monitor over 20inches... Futureshop.ca also a no-go.

But I found THIS on Dell's website...

Samsung SyncMaster 204B 20.1 in Black Flat Panel LCD Monitor with Height Adjustable Stand ($309 - $20rebate)

It says "Maximum" is 1600x1200, I wonder if that is its "default"? :-\
(strangely, on the Memory Express website it seems like 204b is missing, but they have 203b and 205b :o )

Mr. Analog

I think when they say maximum res that is also the native res.

Is 4:3 that important?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

I think at least 1600x1200 is super-important for him.  1600x1200 is possible on a 4:3 ratio monitor.  The closest he could get on a 16:10 monitor would be 1920x1200, on a 16:9 it'd be 2134x1200.  Those latter two would get more expensive...
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Ustauk

Could you throw in an old PCI video card and run your existing monitor with another one?

Darren Dirt

Thanks Ustauk, I'm considering that but the extra desk-top space (real world) is what I'm trying to conserve.

Also from doing a quick Google search I'd say that it looks like yes the Samsung 204B (non-widescreen) is 1600x1200 *native* resolution <-- might be a pretty old model, too -- since 11/05/2006 review says $439 was the price back then... so maybe Dell is just about to discontinue this model... I wonder if non-widescreen LCDs are gonna become hard to find :-\

online price searches show it's in the $290-$350 US range right now, however the only "con" I see is the viewing angle: "160 degrees" is the official spec, but I guess many reviews are consistent and observing it "gets dark fast" though for some that's not a big deal :-\

Mr. Analog

DD please don't consider the desk space you "gain", sure it's not as deep but it's just as wide. I feel that I have more wasted space with my new monitor.

Incidentally, speaking as someone who bought a new monitor in the last 5 weeks it's getting harder [nay, impossible?] to find 16:9 LCDs these days, particularly over 17" in stock. Certainly that's what I was out for originally. 1680 x 1050 grew on me though I have to say...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

If it's like my house, the extra desk space just means more papers (and other debris) piled in front of the monitor...
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on August 30, 2007, 12:54:58 AM
If it's like my house, the extra desk space just means more papers (and other debris) piled in front of the monitor...
Or behind. ;D
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 29, 2007, 10:23:07 PM
DD please don't consider the desk space you "gain", sure it's not as deep but it's just as wide. I feel that I have more wasted space with my new monitor.

Incidentally, speaking as someone who bought a new monitor in the last 5 weeks it's getting harder [nay, impossible?] to find 16:9 LCDs these days, particularly over 17" in stock. Certainly that's what I was out for originally. 1680 x 1050 grew on me though I have to say...

...well then maybe I should go for a "Duo" :p

Thorin

Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on August 30, 2007, 12:45:50 PM
Quote from: Darren Dirt on August 30, 2007, 10:43:41 AM

Nope, MasterPlex 30D all the way :D  Also, your link be broke...

Holy Cow! Now that's a monitor solution!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 30, 2007, 01:22:31 PM
Quote from: Thorin on August 30, 2007, 12:45:50 PM
Quote from: Darren Dirt on August 30, 2007, 10:43:41 AM

Nope, MasterPlex 30D all the way :D  Also, your link be broke...

Holy Cow! Now that's a monitor solution!

rofl yup -- quite a few online Poker grinders do like 9-tabling Sit and Gos on one monitor while playing 4 tournaments on the other :o -- not quite the level of insanity I am striving to dive into ;)

Ustauk

There's a thread on the Tech Report forums about picking out a monitor.  It may be of some help.

Adams

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=320-5205

I have the Dell E228WFP 22", it is truly awe inspiring. My wife's first comment was why do you need a screen that big. Not many issues with Dell, Shayne has 2 x 24" Dell 2407WFP and has no complaints.

4:3 is so 1990's, I guess the issue with most displays now a days is widescreen is popular so finding a resolution that allows a width of 1200 will be harder to find.

Hope you get one that is good. :D
"Life is make up of 2 types of people...
50% of People who do want to do things
50% of people who do not want to do things
The rest are all forced to do things."

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Ustauk on August 30, 2007, 02:33:03 PM
There's a thread on the Tech Report forums about picking out a monitor.  It may be of some help.

very helpful, a few links in there got me a bit more informed. One of them found this:

AnandTech - The LCD Thread
Wow. Just... WOW. My smartness feel bigger now.

From the Anandtech thread I am interested in checking out:
20.1": Viewsonic VP2030b, 1600x1200 (4:3)
Panel: P-MVA (AUO M201UN02 V5); true 8-bit, 16.7M colors
Image Delay (rt+lag, estimated): Medium (30 ms)
Specifications: Viewsonic VP2030b
HDCP Compliant: No
More Info: prad.de
Notes: Some have experienced DVI problems with various configurations.
Price: ~$420 USD

Although this Dell monitor has like 90% positive reviews:
UltraSharp 2007FP Flat Panel with Height Adjustable Stand
Manufacturer Part# : C9536
Dell Part# : 320-4687
Overview
The Dell UltraSharp 2007FP 20.1-inch Flat Panel LCD Monitor redefines the performance of LCD displays with a stylish design and advanced functionality. The monitor offers resolution of up to 1600x1200 pixels and also provides 16 ms typical response time to enable crisp clear images when using the display for fast motion video. It also offers high contrast ratio of up to 800:1 that generates sharper, crisper lines and images while, the wider viewing angle allows you to view the screen from various positions without compromising image quality. The Dell 2007FP features analog as well as digital (DVI-D) capabilities, providing connection flexibility. The slim black bezel design fits into most working environments and on most desktops. The combination of advanced LCD technology and the range of added features make the UltraSharp 2007FP the perfect display for any user. This Flat Panel LCD Monitor comes with a height adjustable stand and a 3-Year Warranty.

$379.001
[You Save $50.00]

and ditto for the positive customer reviews of the HP LP2065:
The HP L2065 gives you high performance and quality with crisp, bright images at a great price! This brilliant screen features the latest in graphics and multimedia displays. It even includes a built-in USB hub for quick and easy connections to your peripherals. This monitor rotates to landscape or portrait orientation, and is vertically-adjustable for your ergonomic pleasure!
The 178-degree viewing angle gives you a great picture all around the room! You get 800:1 contrast ratio, 16.7 million color support, 8 ms response rate, and sharp 1600 x 1200 resolution on a large 20.1-inch viewable LCD screen with crisp, true-to-life clarity. Standard and advanced DVI-I digital interfaces that accept analog allow a smooth transition from legacy applications to the latest standards.
The stylish LP2065 delivers an amazing picture, flexibility, and ergonomic features for all your work and entertainment needs.

also, LCD Technology Matrix. 8)

- - -

...now I really have to spend time thinking about what exactly I want -- choosing a lower price tag and getting stuck with old-tech MVA for the next handful of years is something I didn't even know I need to be wary of... :o

PS: Throughout my skimming I have definitely confirmed that most of the LCDs being marketed now as "new" are no longer 4:3 ratio, and depending on price range a lot of them are TN instead of IPS technology :-\ So now I also have to hurry in completing this purchase ::sigh:: ;)

Ustauk

I actually have the Dell 2007 FPB at work.  It was a very pleasant surprise to walk in to work one morning and find my CRT replaced with it.  I don't know how gaming or video would be on, but it's been wonderful for day to day work.  You may want to wait and see if it goes on sale.  Good luck with your purchase.

Thorin

Haha, I started reading that thread, too.  Any thread where the first post contains a Table of Contents for the rest of that post, you know it's gonna be a serious read :P
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful