You know you are a Programmer when...

Started by Mr. Analog, March 26, 2015, 04:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

You spend 10 hours to solve a problem with a single line of code
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

When you look at something and think "I might only have to do this twice in my life, but just encase I have to do it three times I'm going to automate this manual thing"
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

When NOT writing code you still make sure your parenthesis match (and do not contain periods that would end the sentence because they're obviously the statement separator, but for English).

Or better yet when you see an unclosed brace you start to worry (that somehow the paragraph won't compile and you'll have to change it before somebody understands it
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Melbosa on March 26, 2015, 04:09:45 PM
When you look at something and think "I might only have to do this twice in my life, but just encase I have to do it three times I'm going to automate this manual thing"
^ back when you were young and naive you used to mock me for that thinking ;)

^ I still self-mock myself sometimes for over-complicating stuff though.

...when you find yourself seriously considering learning your mobile device's coding language just so you can build a super-simple app to automate some task that takes literally 3 clicks (but you do it on a really regular basis) ... let your imagine determine what particular task for each of you :)

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 26, 2015, 04:13:23 PM
When NOT writing code you still make sure your parenthesis match

^ I recall a recent post of mine that was exactly THAT! Guess I'm one eh?

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 26, 2015, 04:02:08 PM
You spend 10 hours to solve a problem with a single line of code

I've spent ten hours on a problem in the last two days and fixed it without changing a single line of my code - in the end, I got the server admins to change url rewrite rule for me so my app doesn't have to change.

Also, I actually don't think I could change the app to work correctly without that rewrite rule.

---

So, is there a reason you posted this today?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Two reasons:

1. I solved a problem that had stumped another dev (who's on vacation) and me for about 10 hours and solved it with a Linq where statement

2. I was out with a bunch of ol' dev buddies at lunch today and we geeked it up pretty hard

but back on point

When you see a crappy site and want to build a better one and start mapping it out completely in your brain and realize it would be HUGE... but you still want to do it
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

... when you spend 16 hours behind the computer trying to figure out why the other guy's code doesn't work even though he says it does. And you eventually fix it and test it because it was stopping your PO from being able to demo new code you finished four weeks ago.

Jeebus I'm tired now, it's been a long three days in a row.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful