XBMC 8.10 (not just for xbox any more)

Started by Lazybones, January 26, 2009, 09:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

So I dug my old XBOX out of retirement since my 360 is away on business.

For those that didn't know XBMC has continued development and is available on XBOX, Windows, Linux and MAC now.

I must say it really has matured and I think I might check it out on a PC now.

No more editing text files to add sources, it has a built in browser in the GUI for finding SMB shares, UPNP servers and all sorts of common streaming sources.

It still has a great UI and plays a bunch of formats.  The old XBOX can't decode anything higher than 480P content without loosing frames but given the multi platform nature of the system now that is no problem. I am thinking one of those NVIDA ION platform devices would be great or hell even a MAC mini.

Worth checking out if you have a HTPC, well unless you have a full blown install of Windows Media Centre which is also not bad.

Tom

The only thing that can stop me from using it is that I don't think it supports Mythtv's backends and playing back recorded shows. Maybe if I have to give up cable again I'll try it out.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

It seems to support several streaming sources now.

Main disadvantage is that it uses a software decoder so it is CPU limited, it ha no video card acceleration.

Lazybones

There is a MythTV Plugin http://sourceforge.net/projects/xbmcmythtv/ might be more useful on systems like the Xbox where you can run XBMC but not Myth.