two harddrives, one slower than the other?

Started by Tom, September 08, 2012, 01:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Hey, I just got two new 2TB seagate baracuda drives to build a backup array, and when running some burnin/stress tests on them, one is consistently about one hour slower to finish a 15hr or so long test. One finishes in 15.5 hours, the other is up around 16.5+.

Is this something I should be worried about? A short smart test shows nothing on either drive. Doing an offline test on both as we speak, and then I'll do a long test after.

I've never seen this before with two drives of the same model and same firmware revision.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Are they on the same controller?
Do they share a controller with a slower device like a DVD rom?

That is a really long test but if you haven't I would run the test on the same controller and port swapping out the drives?

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on September 08, 2012, 07:37:55 PM
Are they on the same controller?
Do they share a controller with a slower device like a DVD rom?

That is a really long test but if you haven't I would run the test on the same controller and port swapping out the drives?
Same controller. Not the same port. Not shared with a CDROM as its SATA, and each port is self contained afaik. It was suggested to me earlier to try the same port as well. So I'll be doing that soon (was waiting for a smart /long/ test to finish, took the slower drive quite a bit longer to finish, and now I'm trying to catch up with a bit of work atm).

Tom

Ok so, I tested them both on the same port, and the performance differential is much reduced, about 50% of what it was, and I think the two drives /flipped/. So the faster one is now the slower one. So it's either a hardware or OS issue.

Thanks for the input Lazy.

Lazybones

No problem, I would check for firmware updates for the controller chip-set on the board and make sure you have the matching driver in the OS.