XBMC for Anroid

Started by Tom, August 18, 2012, 04:58:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

It looks like nightlies are finally available!

I just installed it on my nexus 7 tablet. And its pretty slick so far. Some slight file seeking issues streaming over wifi from SMB. But I get full soft subtitle support! And I can switch audio and sub channels as I please!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1813089
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Melbosa

Quote from: Tom on August 18, 2012, 04:58:07 PM
It looks like nightlies are finally available!

I just installed it on my nexus 7 tablet. And its pretty slick so far. Some slight file seeking issues streaming over wifi from SMB. But I get full soft subtitle support! And I can switch audio and sub channels as I please!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1813089

Interesting... could do that with the Plex app on iOS as well (as well as other devices).  Nice feature for a tablet in either case :D.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

good god, I misread that as "nighties are finally available".  As in, what girls in pillow fights at pyjama parties wear...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

I want to try Plex for Android but I don't want to spend $5 to find out it doesn't work all that well lol
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Plex on Android works rather well for TV and Movies. But for anime you're stuck. It's Plex's oppinion that most anime files are some how "broken", so that they can't detect the stream's properly. Even when mplayer and XBMC (which Plex is/was based on) can detect them just fine. Also the app doesn't let you switch the audio/sub streams at play time. Or even in the app itself that I've found. Apparently you have to go into the web management and set it up? A bit retarded if you ask me.

One odd thing I found, XBMC didn't like streaming off my Plex server. It just couldn't play the streams. I guess its not standard UPnP? Streaming directly over CIFS/SMB worked fine however, just a few seeking glitches where the file would keep playing, but the picture would freeze. seeking a bit back would fix it though.

Lazybones

To be clear the problem Tom is talking about is only an issue if your videos contain multiple alternate audio streams.

Tom have you provided feedback in the Plex forum for the devs?

Plex devs are working on an offline mode for local caching of videos. Also in the iOS client they added fan art backgrounds and theme misic, it think the Android version has this as well.

FYI if you are not on a BIG data plan I would avoid streaming over 3G I used up 1.5G of data in two weeks watching stuff on the train. Switched to a 6GB data plan now do I should be OK

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on August 19, 2012, 09:22:13 PM
To be clear the problem Tom is talking about is only an issue if your videos contain multiple alternate audio streams.
Which these days is most anime. As I said its fine for most TV and Movies.

Probably not. But I can't remember. The info you linked me to seemed to say they didn't care and just thought of the files as broken. Which makes posting a message on the forums pretty useless.

Plex devs are working on an offline mode for local caching of videos. Also in the iOS client they added fan art backgrounds and theme misic, it think the Android version has this as well.

FYI if you are not on a BIG data plan I would avoid streaming over 3G I used up 1.5G of data in two weeks watching stuff on the train. Switched to a 6GB data plan now do I should be OK
I get "unlimited" data with Wind. But they start throttling after 5G. That said I don't go out a heck of a lot ;D especially with my tablet and earphones.

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on August 19, 2012, 11:42:45 PM
Probably not. But I can't remember. The info you linked me to seemed to say they didn't care and just thought of the files as broken. Which makes posting a message on the forums pretty useless.

Actually I think it is more of a case they need more examples of HOW it is failing. Also the examples given did show that no meta data had been set for alternate audio tracks... Maybe they just need more users highlighting this issue.. The impression I had was not that it was dismissed but that it was not as important as more broad issues like offline viewing and getting subs to work with DLNA devices that do not support sending the subs directly.