youtube interface changes?

Started by Tom, September 05, 2013, 05:50:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

I wouldn't worry about which e-mail provider you pick, e-mail is unencrypted over the wire, so... everyone can read your e-mail
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 08, 2013, 01:29:57 PM
I wouldn't worry about which e-mail provider you pick, e-mail is unencrypted over the wire, so... everyone can read your e-mail
That's not quite true. Some providers support TLS+SMTP or SSMTP, and prefer that over plain text SMTP. GMail is one of them. It will attempt to use TLS before sending email, and my smtp server accepts TLS+SMTP so any mail sent from gmail will arrive encrypted, and the only way to fetch mail from my server is via TLS encrypted POP3 or IMAP.

Hopefully more providers start supporting TLS encrypted SMTP, or that new darkmail protocol.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Sending yes, receiving no, so if someone replies without encryption the chain is broken

I recall reading an old "netiquette" guide that said to treat e-mail like a postcard, it's a very apt comparison IMO
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

This is what I'm saying though, you can get encrypted end-to-end mail, but not all smtp servers support receiving/sending mail with TLS. They should, its not hard to enable. And I'm hoping more systems start doing such things.

Again, Gmail (and probably other services) will send mail with TLS if it can, and my server will understand that and receive it. Then on the client side my server ONLY supports TLS+IMAP/TLS+POP3. It is still unencrypted on disk, but that's something I've been thinking about for a while. It's not easy to do in an automatic way. But yes, via gmail to my server, or vice-versa, it can and will be encrypted over the network both ways.

I'm really hoping more servers start to enable encrypted SMTP.

Mr. Analog

My point though is that if you are worried about snooping e-mail isn't your best choice for communication anyway, so why worry?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 08, 2013, 02:14:37 PM
My point though is that if you are worried about snooping e-mail isn't your best choice for communication anyway, so why worry?
To make it that much harder for them. throw a wrench in the works as it were.

And at some point we'll get end-to-end encryption.

Mr. Analog

I look at it this way, treat all communication as compromised by default. And not just for apps like e-mail but anything requiring trust (like secure service calls, HTTPS)

People say I'm paranoid, they're just jealous of my tin foil outfit
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Sure, but that doesn't mean we should just give up on sticking it to the man. They want to do shady things, we should make it as hard as possible to do it.

Mr. Analog

-_-; if you want to make getting your information hard to get you need to start by making your information hard to get. i.e. don't rely on things that can be easily foiled like e-mail. (sorry talk about OAuth this morning made me look up this and it's been on my mind: http://insanecoding.blogspot.ca/2013/03/oauth-great-way-to-cripple-your-api.html I'm going to try to write an extension for tumblr this weekend and it requires a registered OAuth key)

Also, what's up today? Awfully grumpy sounding posts...

???
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 08, 2013, 02:44:26 PM
-_-; if you want to make getting your information hard to get you need to start by making your information hard to get. i.e. don't rely on things that can be easily foiled like e-mail. (sorry talk about OAuth this morning made me look up this and it's been on my mind: http://insanecoding.blogspot.ca/2013/03/oauth-great-way-to-cripple-your-api.html I'm going to try to write an extension for tumblr this weekend and it requires a registered OAuth key)
OAuth is a bit of a pain. Apparently google is deprecating its OAuth api soon. going to make people use the G+ auth.

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 08, 2013, 02:44:26 PM
Also, what's up today? Awfully grumpy sounding posts...

???
The whole spying mess and harper in general really bug me. Also I feel a bit crappy. Anxiety ramped up the past few days for little or no reason, super tired yesterday, almost couldn't get to sleep last night, I'm glad I've learned some relaxation techniques, back in the day, I'd have either stayed up cause I knew it'd have been futile, or I'd have laid in bed for /hours/.

Oh also, my job consists of a lot of javascript and php these days. not exactly my favourite thing in the world.

But yeah, I'm not saying we should rely on email. Just that we shouldn't make it easy for them in any way what so ever, even with email. giant middle finger essentially. a form of peaceful protest if you will.

Darren Dirt

OAuth is so broken that the key designer has said ' remove my name from it'
http://hueniverse.com/2012/07/oauth-2-0-and-the-road-to-hell/

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Darren Dirt

so in case the CHANGE.ORG "petitions" don't do anything, here's a very youtube-y way of voicing your unhappines...

☻/ This is Bob. Copy and paste him
/▌ all over youtube
/ \ so he can take over
and return the old comment section

[then, after a bit of time passed...]

░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    Bob is building an army.
▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂      ☻/ This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████] /▌  Copy and Paste this all over
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤..  / \  Youtube if you are with us

▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
─▄▀█▀▀█──────▄                Bob is building an army
█▄▄█▄▄██████▀           ☻/   This helicopter & Bob are against Google+
▀▀█▀▀▀█▀▀                  /▌    Copy and Paste this all over
─▀▀▀▀▀▀▀                    /\    Youtube if you are with us

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bob+is+building+an+army+against+youtube

Mr. Analog

It's also the fast track to getting banned from a lot of the larger channels as many of them have hired additional mod support to remove spam and ban spam-producing users from their channels.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I've just seen channels completely disable commenting now. As apparently, the algorithm is actually pushing negative and abusive comments up (which is the exact opposite of what google said their goal was), due to it preferring discussions with more replies and more "interaction" (even if its downvotes).

Darren Dirt

Saw this in the comments for an Eminem video.

\☻/                 ☻    This is frank and he wants to kill all the bob clones.
  ▌              ?-- ▌\
/ \                  / \      ,︻╦╤─ ,︻╦╤─ ,︻╦╤─ ,︻╦╤─ ,︻╦╤─

good.

______      This is Bob
!     []      I killed him,
!     ☻      THE END.
!    / ▌\    To make a real change to YouTube
!     / \     and avoid looking like a retarded troll
!______    share this petition with 115,000 signatures:
http://www.change.org/petitions/google-change-the-youtube-comment-section-back-to-its-original-form

better.