Plex media server is slick

Started by Lazybones, June 05, 2012, 12:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on March 30, 2019, 11:54:58 AM
Which Plex client?

Haven?t had it reboot a device.
Android

VLC worked fine so I could still watch my show but the Plex client just bombs every time

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

I would uninstall and re-install.

There is some stuff that sometimes gets messed up between major releases of the client.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on March 30, 2019, 01:15:11 PM
I would uninstall and re-install.

There is some stuff that sometimes gets messed up between major releases of the client.
Good call

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Mr. Analog

Bwuh!?!

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Uh...  Yeah, okay, that's something different!
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Melbosa

Yeah that is crazy... but very kewl!
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

Requires a windows or mac plex server AND an additional subscription cost so it is a pass for me right now. Still neat especially since it gets them onto phones and Apple TV etc which is neat.

If they support linux servers in the future I will probably check it out on trial at least.

Tom

<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

I already manually port forward but it is on the default port, and I only allow TCP traffic not UDP.. Need more info on the tack as the mitigations appear to be speculation at this point.

Mr. Analog

Just migrated my library off my oldest machine over to my main one. Took a long time given there was 9 GB of metadata and such... Genuinely happy that it's all working

By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Quote from: Mr. Analog on December 28, 2021, 03:50:40 PMJust migrated my library off my oldest machine over to my main one. Took a long time given there was 9 GB of metadata and such... Genuinely happy that it's all working

Nice!  Bought my parents a Google TV and man does it work great with Plex!
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

I have used Apple TV 4ks (my setup), recent Roku boxes and recent Android TVs, the experience across all 3 is VERY good these days short of some extremely specific differences when using high end Audio or 4K video.

I don't miss the early days where devices were super unreliable.

Thorin

Except when the internet goes out and you can't log in and view your local library.

Don't forget to set your List of IP addresses and networks that are allowed without auth while you have internet, so you can still view stuff locally when you don't.  Or when the Plex Auth servers have an outage (which has happened to me three times this past year).

Note that this will leave you logged in as the last Managed User to access Plex, if you're using Managed Users in your Plex Home (I am, so that everyone has their Continue Watching / On Deck lists).  So if my daughter was watching something, then the Plex Auth servers die, then I can't switch to me, I'll have to watch under her user (Managed Users are not the same as Accounts).
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on December 29, 2021, 05:32:46 PMExcept when the internet goes out and you can't log in and view your local library.

Don't forget to set your List of IP addresses and networks that are allowed without auth while you have internet, so you can still view stuff locally when you don't.  Or when the Plex Auth servers have an outage (which has happened to me three times this past year).

Note that this will leave you logged in as the last Managed User to access Plex, if you're using Managed Users in your Plex Home (I am, so that everyone has their Continue Watching / On Deck lists).  So if my daughter was watching something, then the Plex Auth servers die, then I can't switch to me, I'll have to watch under her user (Managed Users are not the same as Accounts).
Which client do you use?  IIRC both the Apple and Android based clients support credential / auth caching so I don't even remember the last time this impacted us.

It is howver one of the reasons I keep an eye on alternatives like Jellyfin / Emby if Plex ever folds / screws up too much.