Main Menu

Ouya

Started by Darren Dirt, May 28, 2013, 10:23:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Melbosa

Like you always point out... http://forums.righteouswrath.com/index.php/topic,9249.msg67345.html#msg67345

I've had mine on preorder for quite a while.  Waiting patiently for it!
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Darren Dirt

1a. Thanks, didn't search cuz I have no memory of seeing that thread (:shocking: I never even posted in that thread!)

1b. Irony, you even named the thread the exact same title!

2. Are you keeping up with their blog and checking out any preview early looks that tech sites might get? (like the one I linked) Obviously some of us on RW are hoping you share with us a hands-on review once you get it like Lazybones did with the Pebble.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Melbosa

I am keeping up-to-date with the Ouya's progress as best I can.  I am very excited to see the media potential of the box, to see if it will run Plex or XBMC very well... then the gaming is just a bonus!!!

Melbosa

So looks like I won't see mine until July is my guess.  If anyone else got one, feel free share....

Lazybones

Quote from: Melbosa on May 29, 2013, 04:01:54 PM
So looks like I won't see mine until July is my guess.  If anyone else got one, feel free share....

Not interest in it from a gaming stand point,, I have been looking more into devices like these http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006520%2050084475%2040000003&IsNodeId=1&SubCategory=3&Manufactory=84475&SpeTabStoreType=1 for Plex Clients.

Melbosa

Guy at the office has a Minix.  Replaced it with a Roku 2 as he wasn't happy with the interface.  But that could just be him.

I figured if the Ouya does both XBMC and Plex as well as any game in the store and its own, it would be a nice device already to replace my WD.  The Microsoft XO might replace it yet, but for now was a nice choice for replacing my WD Live! with benefits.

Lazybones

I have a WD live, Roku2, Samsung Blueray Player as dedicated clients, the new Android app has been completely redone so that is my primary interest in the Minix devices.

Also I am curious what your friend was running on it and when. Both XBMC and Plex have evolve a lot

Melbosa

He replaced it in April this year.  Was running both XBMC and Plex.  It wasn't those apps he was having issues with, it was the device's interface and response time he wasn't happy about.  And he used both its remote and the Harmony.  He isn't much of a friend though, just a coworker so I didn't press harder on the issue.

Lazybones

Quote from: Melbosa on May 30, 2013, 09:09:41 AM
He replaced it in April this year.  Was running both XBMC and Plex.  It wasn't those apps he was having issues with, it was the device's interface and response time he wasn't happy about.  And he used both its remote and the Harmony.  He isn't much of a friend though, just a coworker so I didn't press harder on the issue.

Thanks, it is good to know... The Roku2 or 3 are the most popular devices for predictability and core function but they have the LEAST exciting UI of nearly all the devices.

Tom

Is the new roku ui as unexciting as the old one? I got my mom a roku 2 xs, and it apparently got the new firmware just after I left. Kinda interested. The original ui is unspectacular, and can actually be a little confusing sometimes. Its level of discoverability seemed inadequate. Some things you just had to know were there.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Instead of a row, it is now a multiple  stack with more items visible and more advertising. 

It is easier to navigate, doesn't really change anything visually app wise.