Celestial Battles: Jedi The Last

Started by Darren Dirt, December 14, 2017, 12:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

I'll check it out over lunch today, see what he has to say about it. I'll give him the same chance I gave RLM and The Cinema Snob.

I absolutely hated TLJ and was not overly impressed with Rogue One. I quite enjoyed TFA and Solo though. So maybe I'm the right audience?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Like Melbosa said I can't say the presentation was something I enjoyed, came across as arrogant more than funny.

The points made were focused on the one good thing about the film; moral ambiguity and what that means in relation to the binary nature of all the previous films (good vs evil, heroes vs villains, destiny vs fortuity, etc) the thing about Star Wars is It's Not That Deep(tm) and what I think annoyed people the most about the film, far beyond its weird disjointed meandering plot was what it seemed to be trying to get away from; The Star Wars Formula. You don't do that with Star Wars, y'just ... don't. Sure that limits Star Wars but Star Wars has always been limited. Plenty of room to work in though, look at the expanded universe and all the spinoff shows, they had plenty of room to tell interesting stories within the framwork provided. This just cast off everything we knew about the universe and went in a direction that barely made sense, it's hard for me to willfully ignore that, or praise it.

I'll give him this though; he tried
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Melbosa on March 21, 2019, 05:16:53 PM
Yeah I tried DD, I really tried, but I don't really like this Movies with Mikey guy... His theories didn't really blow my mind as for me they were evident to me for the most part, nor did his attempt at qwerky delivery (I'm not sure if this is his "thing" as I didn't get an urge to watch any more of his videos after this one).

As for the Start Wars Movie, I liked Last Jedi as much as I liked Force Awakens.  But I really liked Rogue One way above them both though lol...

I watched a few years ago, when he covered some good but underappreciated movies, and I always liked his enthusiasm and his silly sense of humor and style of editing. Because like RLM that humorous surface veneer hides some actual deeper intelligence.
To me its like halfway between Film Theory MatPat and RLM, less high-speed than the former and less lengthy than the latter.
PS: forget the "controversial" titles like [anything Star Wars] if you judge Mikey based on only that then you are missing a whole lot of context and character development of Mikey himself. As I said, it's been many years of growth and a wide variety of films that his analysis is both entertaining and informative. IMO.

Seriously has nobody else encountered Movies with Mikey before this post? O_O
(if so, then "In Defense of The Last Jedi" is probably the WORST entry point! Check out his grin-inducing coverage of John Wick and then John Wick 2! Plus his appreciation of Blade Runner 2049 is not just fanboi shallowness)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Darren Dirt

Sorry Demolition Man, but I think you completely missed what more important "War" was destined to be waged amongst the mega-corps!

"The Nerd Crew: D23, Star Wars, D23, Disney+ and Streaming Services"
https://youtu.be/qejGHLAbo_c

That escalated slowly.

But the end is... INEVITABLE.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Hahaha yeah saw that this morning, nailed it

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer