Logistics pipe o how I wish we had it

Started by Lazybones, January 13, 2013, 02:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Tom

Yeah, I recently heard from Direwolf20's SMP Server Play series that the dude who wrote logistics pipes is back from hibernation and is back working on them. They may hit the FTB pack at some point. It'll take quite some work to update no doubt. I think he stopped working on them /before/ the big 1.3 SMP update, and they were never really useable SMP to begin with. So it may just mean he has to start from scratch? I dunno. A lot has changed.

But they are darned cool.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

I can't get the videos to load, but if you need to sort things into groups you can do it with red power sorting machines.

For example, I have one material that I want to go to two different places at different ratios, I put the same item in more than one colour slot in the sorting machine and just add the number of items I want sent down each pipe (eg: I want to send 1 redstone to one box with a white painted pipe and 4 to a box with a red painted pipe, I put one redstone in the white slot and 4 in the red).

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Logistics pipes are significantly more than just sorting. One dude made an auto crafting system that would pull from his main storage chests to get the raw materials and then craft all the individual components in the right order to then output via a provider pipe. It's incredibly cool. The pipes themselves are smart, and can request certain components from the pipe network. Imagine it a bit like the crafting table mk3, but it took from your /entire/ storage collection.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 13, 2013, 06:56:57 PM
I can't get the videos to load, but if you need to sort things into groups you can do it with red power sorting machines.

For example, I have one material that I want to go to two different places at different ratios, I put the same item in more than one colour slot in the sorting machine and just add the number of items I want sent down each pipe (eg: I want to send 1 redstone to one box with a white painted pipe and 4 to a box with a red painted pipe, I put one redstone in the white slot and 4 in the red).

The difference is that they make IC2 pipe compact and super intelligent without needing more MACHINEs to make the pipe work.  IE you could have 1 source chest with various parts and several destination machines... instead of PUMPING stuff into the pipes the pipe connection to the machine could see how full the the machines inventory is and simply REQUEST a specific amount of x to keep it topped up... IE no over flow or backup in the system and one set of interconnecting pipe making up a network..

Think of it as the difference between having a "HUB" and having "Router with built in Switch"... It has over flow and default route logic options...

Quote from: Tom on January 13, 2013, 07:09:39 PM
Logistics pipes are significantly more than just sorting. One dude made an auto crafting system that would pull from his main storage chests to get the raw materials and then craft all the individual components in the right order to then output via a provider pipe. It's incredibly cool. The pipes themselves are smart, and can request certain components from the pipe network. Imagine it a bit like the crafting table mk3, but it took from your /entire/ storage collection.

Have you seen Mr. As solar panel factory yet?

The project was open sourced on GIT hub and there are various updated ports of it, however Tom you are right the original author is back and working on a rewrite if the forums are correct.. It basically fixes EVERYTHING I hate about pipes in one go...

Mr. Analog

Man, that's something I could have seriously used yesterday/today...
By Grabthar's Hammer