Upgrading to SSD?

Started by Mr. Analog, April 28, 2016, 09:36:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Since I have my home office ripped apart I might as well upgrade my HDD. Currently I have a 1 TB HDD BUT I'd like to get that sucker up to an SSD.

The thing is I bought it from MemEx and it has the OS installed on a partition, so if I use a clone tool (suggestions welcome?) will it copy everything over including the OS install partition?

Is this something I would have to contact MemEx over?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Most clone tools should support just copying the old disk to the new, assuming you have enough space on the new disk for the contents of the old disk (empty space should be skipped, unless the tool is rather dumb).

A lot of SSDs come with clone tools, so you might want to look into that.

If you just don't want to deal with it, might as well pay MemEx to do it.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Melbosa

Samsung's Cloning tool works while your OS is even running (its so slick! I've used it many times, probably in the 15+ range now).  I own a Samsung EVO 1TB SSD, and I can say they are solid and reliable.  Been using mine for the last year now.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on April 28, 2016, 09:55:45 AM
Samsung's Cloning tool works while your OS is even running (its so slick! I've used it many times, probably in the 15+ range now).  I own a Samsung EVO 1TB SSD, and I can say they are solid and reliable.  Been using mine for the last year now.

That's exactly what I was looking at today :)

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX55509
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I recently got a EVO 250GB IIRC. It's a nice drive. It was dirt cheap at the time :D  I have like 4 SSDs in that machine now I think, most/all were stupid cheap. And thank god for linux LVM, i can just do a linear append on them and pretend like I have one large ssd. hahaha.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Well, I'm sold

That Was Easy?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

If you're going from 1TB to 1TB and you're getting a Samsung and you've got the extra SATA port and cable in your computer so you can just hook up the SSD without having to disconnect the HDD, then yeah, the Samsung clone app will work wonderfully.

If you don't have the extra SATA port, you might want to temporarily disconnect your DVD drive or something, just so you can have both hooked up at the same time.

You will also love how well your machine responds to an SSD as your main drive.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on April 28, 2016, 11:07:28 AM
If you're going from 1TB to 1TB and you're getting a Samsung and you've got the extra SATA port and cable in your computer so you can just hook up the SSD without having to disconnect the HDD, then yeah, the Samsung clone app will work wonderfully.

If you don't have the extra SATA port, you might want to temporarily disconnect your DVD drive or something, just so you can have both hooked up at the same time.

You will also love how well your machine responds to an SSD as your main drive.

Ya, on one of my older machines I had a SSD hooked up as C:\ and man, it was the bees knees until it died.

The early model SSDs were quite fragile

I do have SATA ports on my case, so it should be easy :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

MemEx already shipped, they don't piss around!  :o
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Thorin

Noice!

Sometimes I find stuff cheaper elsewhere than at MemEx.  But still, I actually prefer going to them because they're efficient, helpful, and supportive.

I wonder if BCOM is still around?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Melbosa

Their South Side location and 118 Ave locations still exist.