Barack Obama rejects Keystone XL pipeline

Started by Mr. Analog, November 06, 2015, 10:42:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on November 06, 2015, 05:56:35 PM
I'm pretty sure thats sarcasm from Darren.

yup and I'm also hoping so was Thorin's post ;)

...I think there needs to be a new Canadian equivalent of "X Y Z, *thanks Obama*" meme...

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on November 09, 2015, 11:16:40 AM

...I think there needs to be a new Canadian equivalent of "X Y Z, *thanks Obama*" meme...

Well for a while any time anything went wrong people would shake an angry fist at the Harper GovernmentTM
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 09, 2015, 11:20:06 AM

Well for a while any time anything went wrong people would shake an angry fist at the Harper GovernmentTM
Except it was generally either directly his fault, or indirectly through inaction. It doesn't quite apply. (I thought about saying it, lol)
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Darren Dirt

btw...

Quote from: Thorin on November 06, 2015, 07:16:04 PM
Sorry Darren.  I was pissed off at something at home and went off for no good reason.

...Chillax my friend; based on what you have shared lately, "pissed off at something or someone at home" will be my default assumption for you when it comes to any negative-vibed conversational contributions -- for the next few months at least ;) The cliche of Deep Breaths can actually help, but especially changing the sitch by standing your ground when crap is unsustainable and you know that the problem ain't you, it's the other person(s) got some growing up they gotta do. Ain't easy tho, getting yelled at by entitlement-addicted people you care about.

Darren Dirt

Wow, unlike a lot of them, the meme page for this one = quite a lot of funny examples!

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/thanks-obama

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on November 09, 2015, 11:21:13 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 09, 2015, 11:20:06 AM

Except it was generally either directly his fault, or indirectly through inaction. It doesn't quite apply. (I thought about saying it, lol)

Yeah totally; rainy day? Harper. Stub your toe? Harper.

It was like when George W Bush was in charge of the US and he became a byword for anybody who didn't like something the government was doing, regardless if it was actually done by the Senate or Judicial branches, putting the blame on a single person is somehow WAY easier for people to comprehend than actually exploring the highly complex sociopolitical issues actually at play, it also seems far easier for people to make some extraordinary leaps of logic in order to continue to support that narrow view.

This is exactly why the joke of "thanks Obama" works so well, it subverted the attitude that the "fault" of any given decision was on one person

Then again we can thank Pierre Trudeau for consolidating power in the PMs office, there aren't as many checks and balances thanks to those changes (previously the PMO would be offset by the cabinet and Parliament itself, not anymore! WHOOPS!!)

:D

Quote from: Darren Dirt on November 09, 2015, 11:31:47 AM
Wow, unlike a lot of them, the meme page for this one = quite a lot of funny examples!

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/thanks-obama

LOL
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I would joke about harper more, but he consolidated power even further, and ran things with an iron fist. He didn't like someone, he drove them out. didn't like something? made sure it was run into the ground. thought something was unimportant? ignored it completely.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

If he was a regular old canadian politician, I wouldn't hate him nearly so much. however he had a serious agenda he wanted to see through back from his Reform days, and it was NOT a good thing for Canada. It was your typical US style politics and far right fiscal management (Corporate welfare, the poor and minorities are lazy useless bums, and kind of public service should be spun off no matter how important it is, etc).

I don't blame him for stubbing my toe. Just subverting Canadian values and its way of life.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

*sigh* glad you're interested in serious discourse. I suppose you agree with his policies and the direction he took canada.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on November 09, 2015, 11:45:04 AM
I would joke about harper more, but he consolidated power even further, and ran things with an iron fist. He didn't like someone, he drove them out. didn't like something? made sure it was run into the ground. thought something was unimportant? ignored it completely.

Sounds like a graduate from the Steve Jobs School Of Business Management.

Oh wait, this wasn't a business he was running :(

Mr. Analog

You missed the point I was trying to make about generalized anger being focused on an individual (which is laughable and why the "Thanks Obama" meme exists at all)

Quote from: Tom on November 09, 2015, 11:50:55 AM
*sigh* glad you're interested in serious discourse. I suppose you agree with his policies and the direction he took canada.

I believe this fallacy is called "a false exclusionary disjunct"

Because I'm having a bit of fun today I obviously agree with policies and direction the previous PMO. Hahaha. No.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 09, 2015, 12:08:50 PM
You missed the point I was trying to make about generalized anger being focused on an individual (which is laughable and why the "Thanks Obama" meme exists at all)
I missed nothing. I don't think it applies to most comments for harper. he actually IS responsible for a lot of the state our country has found itself in.

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 09, 2015, 12:08:50 PM
Quote from: Tom on November 09, 2015, 11:50:55 AM

I believe this fallacy is called "a false exclusionary disjunct"

Because I'm having a bit of fun today I obviously agree with policies and direction the previous PMO. Hahaha. No.

I just feel like people aren't actually reading what I'm typing. skimming, or stopping after a sentence? Generally I don't type things that are entirely pointless in more serious discussions. Been feeling this a while now.

Thorin

Here's how I think the switch from Harper to Trudeau will affect our little community:

Darren, Melbosa, Mr. Analog: end up paying a little less in taxes (twenty bucks per paycheque, maybe?)
Thorin: about even in taxes
Lazybones: a little less in taxes (mostly by getting more child benefits)
Tom: much better support when not working

all: more responsive healthcare, better infrastructure, same level of federal debt, less advanced military

Be wary of companies that claim an increase in the corporate tax rate suddenly cause them to suddenly post losses of hundreds of millions of dollars.  Corporations only get taxed on profits (revenue minus expenses, although there's a lot of arguing about what expenses can be included).  So if they made no profits, they'd pay no tax.  The reason we're seeing some companies post big losses and blame it on taxes is because there's some strange loopholes that lets them carry forward tax liabilities and claim them at a later date, and that's what they're doing now.

---

Tom, I read everyone's posts.  Sometimes I take the wrong message and get mad, or miss the sarcasm because it's not obvious to me, or whatever, but I do read it all.  I think everyone does.  Mr. A's just in as good of a good mood today as he was in as bad of a bad mood on Friday.  I blame sun spots.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful