Telus now offering WiFi Extender -- should I visit MemEx instead?

Started by Darren Dirt, February 24, 2014, 03:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Hey Darren, check this out: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/08/mapping-wi-fi-dead-zones-with-physics-and-gifs/

You can map out the signal in your appt, then you'll know what you need and where! Then do mine! kthx.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 26, 2014, 11:26:55 AM
Quote from: Darren Dirt on August 26, 2014, 09:43:14 AM
Can't hurt to try it. Let's get together this week maybe (not today though).

Obie Kabie

Workso Terrifico! Thanko*!

Now half the apartment is using (name)-EXT, much needed cuz we have 3 Rokus 1 SmartTV 2 laptops and 5 cell phones yeehaw...

* (Operaman, bye bye!)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

IIRC you can just have both networks with the same name, and devices will switch to whatever signal is the best for that side of the apartment.

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on September 14, 2014, 04:54:40 PM
IIRC you can just have both networks with the same name, and devices will switch to whatever signal is the best for that side of the apartment.

In theory devices should switch to the one with the best signal.

In reality devices often bind to the first one in their list or will hang on to the first one they find until forced off. This is common in consumer devices.

This is why the separate -ext SSID method is better for small home networks. 1 you can see what you are connected to on all devices, 2 if you have static devices like media streamers you can force them to use one or the other.

Enterprise mesh networks are another story.

Some home routers have a feature that let's you set a minimum connection strength. This allows the ap to force disconnect weak clients and encourage them to look for the extender.

Tom

True enough. My 5G network has a separate name just so I can force devices onto 5g. Otherwise none of my devices will choose 5g over 2.4 due to the 5g signal appearing to be significantly weaker (which I still find quite odd).

Lazybones

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on September 14, 2014, 06:37:24 PM
In your place that really should not be a problem
Especially since I have my wifi api mounted on the ceiling in the hall. its a straight shot, no walls direct to my laptop. But the 2.4G ssid shows 100% strength, and the 5G shows 64%. Similar things are seen with my phones as well. maybe the linux signal measurment stuff is just weird. i dunno.