Plex Home (family controls / fast user switching)

Started by Lazybones, November 20, 2014, 06:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

I agree.  I love that this application continues to evolve and grow!
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

It's finally here!

Not that I have more than one person at home, but still, cool stuff.

Now if they only add a feature to wipe watch history I'd be a happy camper. I don't know about you guys but sometimes I feel like watching a single episode of a series and don't want to see all the stuff cluttering up the dashboard. I know you can mark series as "watched all" but you have to go into each series profile and blah blah blah
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Mark all watched or in the library under advanced hide the whole library from adding items to the home screen.

Mr. Analog

The thing is sometimes I want recently watched items there .I just want a button on that view so I can quickly clear the items there.

Unless that's what you're saying, in which case I'll check it out tonight
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 21, 2014, 11:01:34 AM
The thing is sometimes I want recently watched items there .I just want a button on that view so I can quickly clear the items there.

Unless that's what you're saying, in which case I'll check it out tonight
Edited:
You can mark entire series / seasons as watched by going into them and clicking watched.

You can also multi-select  series or seasons and mark them watched.

You can trigger multi-select mode with the button in the attached image

Mr. Analog

It's a bit better that way, but still, would be cool to just have a button to clear the page

Thanks!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Most of the PAY clients for Plex are on sale right now, well worth the purchase in my opinion.

The Windows 8 native app is actually really nice.

Tom

I already bought the android client. was worth it the first day I used it :D even if all I mostly do is watch stuff from my bedroom :D
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on November 24, 2014, 09:15:21 PM
I already bought the android client. was worth it the first day I used it :D even if all I mostly do is watch stuff from my bedroom :D

I watch more of my content on my Phone than my TV as well

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on November 24, 2014, 09:47:52 PM

Sometimes I just want to watch a few things on my nexus 7 (2013). Its a really nice size for that. Though I don't actually do it that often... I'd be using it here, but the internet sucks too much for that (or so im assuming), and my nas is currently DOA. boh. I'll try hooking up to yours at some point, but the internet we have really bogs down during peak times, which is of course when I want to use it the most.

Thorin

Sure it's cold in Canada, but at least we have reliable high-speed internet!
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on November 25, 2014, 04:08:06 AM
Quote from: Lazybones on November 24, 2014, 09:47:52 PM

I'll try hooking up to yours at some point, but the internet we have really bogs down during peak times, which is of course when I want to use it the most.

I'll double check later but I believe I granted you offline sync rights on my server. Thus if you can use that to download an offline copy to watch later without the streaming issues.

Just don't go nuts syncing everything.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on November 25, 2014, 08:12:23 AM

Which is why it's so expensive eh?

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Tom

Quote from: Darren Dirt on November 25, 2014, 05:22:38 PM

Its less reliable here, AND more expensive. And I'm not even adjusting for cost of living. It is purely just more expensive here. 100mbps cable? $500/mo cad. And I have my doubts as to the stability. I am pretty sure they are also limiting my per connection speed at times to 30-60kBps. Makes youtube at peak times quite sucky, even at 480p and even sometimes 360p.

Lazybones

Anything TCP based will be slow if you are far enough away / there is significant latency.  CDNs are good but they do not have a presence everywhere. 

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on November 26, 2014, 12:19:14 AM
Anything TCP based will be slow if you are far enough away / there is significant latency.  CDNs are good but they do not have a presence everywhere. 
I've seen my max bw use occasionally. From canadian speedtests even. BW is not a real factor over long distances. It can fill up the pipe, even with the large latency. At least for the connections I've tried. The real problem is the instability and odd traffic shaping I think Im seeing.

CDN wise, even some of the youtube content I watch at home isn't CDNed, and can be slow to initially load. youtube's own servers can be horrendously slow on not so popular content.

Thorin

Quote from: Tom on November 25, 2014, 10:19:45 PM

Its less reliable here, AND more expensive. And I'm not even adjusting for cost of living. It is purely just more expensive here. 100mbps cable? $500/mo cad. And I have my doubts as to the stability. I am pretty sure they are also limiting my per connection speed at times to 30-60kBps. Makes youtube at peak times quite sucky, even at 480p and even sometimes 360p.

Wait, they're charging 14,000+ baht per month (500 CAD) for 100Mbps cable?  When the typical software developer makes about 50,000 baht per month?  Can you imagine paying 28% of your income before taxes for high-speed internet?  HOLY COW!
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on November 26, 2014, 04:23:14 PM
Quote from: Tom on November 25, 2014, 10:19:45 PM

Wait, they're charging 14,000+ baht per month (500 CAD) for 100Mbps cable?  When the typical software developer makes about 50,000 baht per month?  Can you imagine paying 28% of your income before taxes for high-speed internet?  HOLY COW!

I'm going out on a limb here but I'm guessing the coup d'?tat has made a few conveniences like high-speed internet more expensive not to mention heavily monitored

http://www.telecomasia.net/content/google-yahoo-smtp-email-severs-hit-thailand

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/thai-police-we-ll-get-you-for-junta-criticism-1.2666988
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I didn't even look at internet in Thailand seriously. This is in the Philippines, and in Pesos.

Electricity in Davao is at like 18-20c/kWh. We're going to have to keep a closer eye on the power use, especially the Aircon.

Tom

Is there a way to copy sync'ed movies off an android device? The tv i have here can't find anything plex has synced, and for that matter, my laptop can't see it over ptp or mtp, so plex doesn't seem to save it anywhere visible.

I had hoped I could actually play synced content off my nexus7 to this sony tv we are using (it has usb support for video, audio and pictures).

Darren Dirt

Find some junta-friendly forums to post positive yes-man things in, maybe your speed will increase.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

Quote from: Tom on November 27, 2014, 03:16:24 AM
I didn't even look at internet in Thailand seriously. This is in the Philippines, and in Pesos.

Electricity in Davao is at like 18-20c/kWh. We're going to have to keep a closer eye on the power use, especially the Aircon.

Oh, thought you were in Thailand.  That's where you'd said you were going last time, if I remember correctly.

So internet and power are both way more expensive...  Are there things that are cheaper?  I would imagine there must be, the average Phillipino salary is a lot lower than the average Canadian salary.

Also, back on topic, https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/73329-where-does-plex-for-android-store-its-synced-media-files-by-default/ says if you have root access you can find the files at /data/data/com.plexapp.plex/app_sync.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Some things cost less, depending on where you buy it. Gas costs at least as much as it does in Canada which makes it more expensive here... It's just crazy. I really don't understand how people can afford to live here (or shop in the expensive malls).

Lazybones

You have to look at the whole picture like hosing costs and taxes.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on November 27, 2014, 10:55:13 PM
You have to look at the whole picture like hosing costs and taxes.
Indeed. A lot of people live, eat, and work in plaes many people would consider 'third world' at the same time they have these large cities where things are nearly on par with Canadian prices.its pretty crazy.

Ate in this one BBQ joint near our appt. There is no front wall, animals are free to walk in... Food is pretty cheap though... Lol.

So!e of Mia's family live in houses that aren't sealed to the weather at all. Like the builder didn't even attempt it. Strangely a lot of buildings and roads are made from concrete. I assume that its cheaper here and stands up better to tropical storms than the way we build in Canada.

Just got back from the grocery store. A 1.5L Pepsi was 46.5p or about 1.22cad. Though we got it cause it was 2for1 so we really paid half that. 2.50 for a pack of hotdogs... 52c for a pack of cucumbers... So some things are less. Some are the same or more. I suspect if you avoid the supermarkets and malls things are less expensive but it seems its not easy :(