Windows 10 Free Upgrade for first year if you have Windows 7/8 Owned

Started by Melbosa, January 21, 2015, 01:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

A lot of speculation floating around that this may be Microsoft's first steps toward a subscription model like Adobe
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Melbosa on January 21, 2015, 01:42:13 PM
Not sure if this was reported here or not yet: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/01/windows-10-free-for-all-windows-8-1-and-windows-7-users-for-first-year/

Good idea in theory.

Bad execution though -- there is no way that I can see to tell it "STOP REMINDING ME 8 TIMES A DAY! YEESH!"

Seriously, I click that top-right corner "x" multiple times per day, lately it's gotta be at least 4. What other application etc. doesn't shut up after the one time each day, or at most 2?

Any way of permanently telling it "back off! I am happy enough with 8.1!"

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 21, 2015, 01:48:02 PM
A lot of speculation floating around that this may be Microsoft's first steps toward a subscription model like Adobe
^ this is part of the reason why I ain't jumping onto this bandwagon yet.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

There is a patch you have to uninstall to remove the reminder

I can't remember which one, you'd have to google it

@%&#ty marketing is @%&#ty
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I did a fresh install, cause it wouldn't give me the actual update and kept showing that dumb reminder instead thinking I didn't say "upgrade", when i did.

I recall reading somewhere that MS has stated that /windows 10/ will not go subscription only. That's nothing to say about any future version.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Darren Dirt

Well I did a quick search online -- for "reserve copy windows 10 DISABLE" -- and apparently** it's as simple as uninstalling the "KB3035583" update, which "created a new directory in C:\Windows\System32\GWX and installs some executables and files that serve as a notification tool that could display banners and other ads for Windows 10 as the launch date approaches. Meanwhile, the GWXUXWorker.exe file acts as the Windows 10 downloader." [1]

I agree with [2] which half-jokingly said:
"One of the biggest reasons many users, including us, are getting roped into installing this update is that the actual verbiage for the recommended update is a tad misleading. ... This update doesn?t resolve any ?issues? other than Microsoft?s own issue with getting the word out about Windows 10. Again, we don?t need help with this."

[1] https://techjourney.net/disable-remove-get-windows-10-upgrade-reservation-notification-system-tray-icon/

[2] http://www.howtogeek.com/218856/how-do-you-disable-the-get-windows-10-icon-shown-in-the-notification-tray/

** #FingersCrossed (since sometimes uninstalling MS KBs goes less-than-smoothly...)

PS: the comments in one of the above pages mentioned a few other options, including a registry edit, and a 3rd party "uninstall this annoying nagware" app on GitHub. Also somebody mentioned additionally getting rid of KB 2976978 since all that does is add some diagnosticy thingies to do with upgrading to the next version of Windows.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Darren Dirt on August 19, 2015, 10:08:15 PM
Well I did a quick search online -- for "reserve copy windows 10 DISABLE" -- and apparently** it's as simple as uninstalling the "KB3035583" update, which "created a new directory in and installs some executables and files that serve as a notification tool that could display banners and other ads for Windows 10 as the launch date approaches. Meanwhile, the GWXUXWorker.exe file acts as the Windows 10 downloader." [1]

I uninstalled the 2 KBs and then rebooted and verified the "C:\Windows\System32\GWX" folder is now empty (but not deleted, weird) ... so I hope it doesn't come back to life ;) [in Windows Update I don't even see those old KBs as an option to re-install -- which I would like so I can hide them]

Darren Dirt

BTW for you folks excited about Windows 10 and it's helpful voice-activated cyber-agent etc... just remember there is a downside to educating this agent with all your personal taste preferences etc.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/31/9075531/windows-10-privacy-how-to
...by default, Windows 10 can track and share the websites you visit, the purchases you make, the places you go, the words you type, the things you say and more.

You have the ability to control Windows 10's data collection, but it takes some doing. The installation process lets you customize privacy settings at the end or go with the defaults in "express settings." We'd suggest taking the extra two minutes to forgo the latter and make your own choices here, or adjusting the options after installation, because Microsoft's default privacy settings might not be as private as you'd like.

imo the bolded part translates to: "most users will be too lazy to turn down the default level of how W10 gonna be learning EVERYTHING about you... mwahahaha" or something to that effect ;)

Tom

I spent the extra few seconds to turn as much of that off as i could on install. Interestingly, the install reverted a bit after a reboot, and asked me all of that stuff again. I think i ended up making sure to turn ALL things off the second time. I was slightly annoyed. lol.

Mr. Analog

Also this feature is coming to Windows 7 and 8

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

So...  Windows 10 has been out for over a year, I assume that most of the bugs are ironed out now, so I'm willing to upgrade.  I wonder if the free upgrade is still available?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12435/windows-10-upgrade-faq

The free upgrade offer to Windows 10 will end on July 29, 2016

Well damn, better get that done this month then!

Anyone here not on Windows 10 yet that is planning to upgrade?  I have to do a couple of desktops and a tablet (although it might have already auto-updated).  Hopefully upgrading doesn't wipe out all my users.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Melbosa

All my clients have been making me schedule this upgrade last minute.  Damn busy time for me!
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

I have one machine on one machine off (mostly for legacy software / drivers... it's like Windows XP all over again)

Anyway, Windows 10 is working very well now, far better than Windows 8 was. So far I have only run into problems with Adobe software but other than that no complaints.

IMPORTANT THING
-Disable Cortana
-Disable AS MUCH telemetry as you can

You can't fully disable Microsoft telemetry or ad injection which is a problem and/or causes stability issues if you try some of the hackier solutions out there. Know this before going off Windows 7
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Both my home systems run Windows 10.

Still run Windows 7 enterprise on everything at work, no rush there. Only a handfull of ms surface tablets running 10.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Tom

I upgraded to windows 10 just for the fact that it seems stable, and the UI makes more sense than windows 8 ever did. Ignoring the spyware and forceful upgrade shenanigans...

I actually let a neighbour's old ass amd system stick with win7, I didn't think windows 10 would be a good fit for that box. old dual core box with 3GB ram, and an old nvidia nforce chipset+igpu. It was fun just finding the right up todate drivers for it :(