File Copying And Backup Solutions Discussion

Started by Darren Dirt, March 30, 2015, 09:03:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on April 03, 2015, 03:56:23 PM
Quote from: Lazybones on April 03, 2015, 03:50:10 PM
I am fine with my speed as well... You don't need to go faster unless there is a reason..

I am currently looking at solutions for work that can transfer over 1GB/s. Fun scaling problems start to happen when your databases are in measured in TB.
Intel released a few new nvme ssds :o one is a server grade beast that can do 2.8GB/s read, and a lower end enthusiast device that can do 2.4GB/s. Some pretty cool things coming out. Both have 1TB versions. Pretty snazzy. I imagine they'd make killer upper layer or cache devices.

I will post some benchmarks if I have some time on paper some of the equipment I will be testing in the next month... It is in that range or higher.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on April 03, 2015, 04:01:39 PM
Quote from: Tom on April 03, 2015, 03:56:23 PM
Quote from: Lazybones on April 03, 2015, 03:50:10 PM
I am fine with my speed as well... You don't need to go faster unless there is a reason..

I am currently looking at solutions for work that can transfer over 1GB/s. Fun scaling problems start to happen when your databases are in measured in TB.
Intel released a few new nvme ssds :o one is a server grade beast that can do 2.8GB/s read, and a lower end enthusiast device that can do 2.4GB/s. Some pretty cool things coming out. Both have 1TB versions. Pretty snazzy. I imagine they'd make killer upper layer or cache devices.

I will post some benchmarks if I have some time on paper some of the equipment I will be testing in the next month... It is in that range or higher.
Oh yeah. Some of the enterprise equipment is pretty impressive. Though the price/speed of those two new intel ssds are impressive for a single TB sized device. I'm sure you can pull much more than that with some shenanigans and fancy hardware setups.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Darren Dirt on March 30, 2015, 09:03:46 AM
Quote from: Lazybones on March 29, 2015, 02:25:47 PM
At first I tried to use Clonezilla, but then it donned on me that Since windows 7 you have been able to do a FULL image based OS backup with the machine Running none the less and restore using the native backup tool.

[ x ]

So are you talking about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backup_and_Restore#Removal or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_8#File_History ? (what if you don't want ongoing backup, but periodically wish to do a "snapshot" image type of thing? Then Clonezilla ftw?)

The above post should be a start of a separate thread, imo, since it almost immediately tangent-icized into a discussion of "File Copying And Backup Solutions Discussion" <-- my vote for the title of the new thread branch :)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer