Main Menu

Shaw 150

Started by Tom, August 08, 2016, 12:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Shaw guy just came, we're all hooked up :D

Redic. They say 150, but i think they are capping it at like 176? Or maybe thats just the max these hitron modems can do at current settings (channel assignments etc)?
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Tom

Turns out they didn't do what I asked, despite saying they did it... So not only won't they give us the new customer pricing, they didn't even sign mila up as a new customer. Sheesh.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

So you got the existing-customer rate? $79.90 per month for two years? What did you ask them to do that they didn't do?

Matbe someday Shaw will clue in that offering better deals to new customers than existing ones will just cause people to find ways to be considered a new customer, including switching to a competitor for a few months.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

I asked them to sign mila up and id eventually cancel my account. They even had mila go through the steps to sign up... But wah wah they didnt even open up a new account for her.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

I like that it goes faster than advertised, in both directions. People on the old BB250 plan (250 down dunno what up) used to complain about never getting close to advertised speeds.

I'm  surprised how easily their network is absorbing these higher speed connections. They must've done a ton of building.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Part of the 250 problem was the modems and nodes were older Docsis tech that needed more channels to provide those high speeds. The other part is they were still running fiber to their nodes, and upgrading their data centers with higher performance hw.

Rumor has it one of the big US cable companies has upgraded to FTTN, but their datacenters can't handle the load so its slow as butt. And they just spent all their money on buying Timewarner, so theres no money to upgrade.

Mr. Analog

I've been in awe since last night, @%&# downloads SO FAST
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

My problem is I've been having issues with youtube, twitch and facebook since the update.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on August 30, 2016, 01:32:39 PM
My problem is I've been having issues with youtube, twitch and facebook since the update.

YouTube has problems for sure, though it seems mostly with the web client and not so much the mobile app
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 30, 2016, 01:45:41 PM

YouTube has problems for sure, though it seems mostly with the web client and not so much the mobile app

I haven't had any problems with anything...  Even uploading to work servers is way faster.  Do you have your own DNS going still, Tom?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on August 30, 2016, 01:47:53 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 30, 2016, 01:45:41 PM

I haven't had any problems with anything...  Even uploading to work servers is way faster.  Do you have your own DNS going still, Tom?
I do.

Mainly the issue is videos will buffer more now, and won't always upgrade to HD. For a while it was down to 360p or worse sometimes :o Twitch buffers more, and facebook doesn't always load more than the first post on my feed. It's a little annoying.

I've contacted shaw through the community forums and others are having the same problems, even one of the techs noticed it at their house.

Lazybones

I am not on shaw and I have noticed a significant delay before videos start to play lately on my home connection.

Melbosa

I've been fine on Telus, but I don't frequent lots of YouTubing, although last night I was on for a while watching some vids.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!