Main Menu

Shaw 150

Started by Tom, August 08, 2016, 12:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Same browser and technically on the same bandwidth the videos start instantly at work, so I think somethings up with youtube and how the videos are delivered.

At work instant, at home on lightspeed it is taking 5-10s before yourtube videos start in the browser.

As Thorin noted I have noticed that the mobile apps don't seem to have this issue.

Mr. Analog

Could it be ISPs throttling load to YouTube on non-business accounts?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Crazy question, when the modem is in bridge mode are the ethernet ports active (as if they were a hub?)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 30, 2016, 04:59:37 PM
Crazy question, when the modem is in bridge mode are the ethernet ports active (as if they were a hub?)

Well a switch, not a hub.. I believe you get 3 dynamic IPs with shaw and it works on DHCP so you will probably be able to have another direct internet device but I personally prefer to have everything behind my own router / firewall .

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on August 30, 2016, 05:07:14 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 30, 2016, 04:59:37 PM

Well a switch, not a hub.. I believe you get 3 dynamic IPs with shaw and it works on DHCP so you will probably be able to have another direct internet device but I personally prefer to have everything behind my own router / firewall .

K, good to know
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

You used to only get two, and have to ask support to enable any after the original.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on August 08, 2016, 06:39:11 PM
So you got the existing-customer rate? $79.90 per month for two years? What did you ask them to do that they didn't do?

Matbe someday Shaw will clue in that offering better deals to new customers than existing ones will just cause people to find ways to be considered a new customer, including switching to a competitor for a few months.

That's already what many of us do -- every 6 months or so switch to the other half of the duopoly and take the "not a current customer" deal. Until the next 6 months...

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on August 30, 2016, 01:50:13 PM
Quote from: Thorin on August 30, 2016, 01:47:53 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 30, 2016, 01:45:41 PM
Quote from: Tom on August 30, 2016, 01:32:39 PM
My problem is I've been having issues with youtube, twitch and facebook since the update.

YouTube has problems for sure, though it seems mostly with the web client and not so much the mobile app

I haven't had any problems with anything...  Even uploading to work servers is way faster.  Do you have your own DNS going still, Tom?
I do.

Mainly the issue is videos will buffer more now, and won't always upgrade to HD. For a while it was down to 360p or worse sometimes :o Twitch buffers more, and facebook doesn't always load more than the first post on my feed. It's a little annoying.

I've contacted shaw through the community forums and others are having the same problems, even one of the techs noticed it at their house.

I've noticed the Youtube slow down at work for sure, but since I am in a new building the past 3 weeks I just presumed it's to do with a lousier network infrastructure.

When I watch at lunchtime * I immediately switch to 244 (not "Auto") * because even at 360 it hiccups to the point where it is unwatchable. Let alone "Auto" when it tries to up the speed then soon after regrets it :-\

I don't do much else bandwidth-heavy so idk if it's just Youtube or virtually anything, but yeah I think YT at home is also kinda slow compared to pre-August. Although on mobile it seems fine, or at least not as noticeably flakey.

Weird, maybe somebody in Big Internet "got to them" (in conjunction with Net Neutrality stuff, who knows... #TheRealConspiracyIsThatIt'sALLaConspiracy

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

Quote from: Darren Dirt on August 31, 2016, 03:35:31 PM
Quote from: Thorin on August 08, 2016, 06:39:11 PM
So you got the existing-customer rate? $79.90 per month for two years? What did you ask them to do that they didn't do?

Matbe someday Shaw will clue in that offering better deals to new customers than existing ones will just cause people to find ways to be considered a new customer, including switching to a competitor for a few months.

That's already what many of us do -- every 6 months or so switch to the other half of the duopoly and take the "not a current customer" deal. Until the next 6 months...

I don't do this.  I tried Telus a while back, I was not happy.  And they don't offer anywhere near the speeds I get from Shaw now.  My area's too old and doesn't have fiber, so 50 down is the best they're offering here.  I don't think most other posters on this board use Telus, either.  Even Melbosa has switched back to Shaw, right?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Switched from Shaw to lightspeed.ca.. It is adsl and delivered over Telus last mile. It is interesting that the IPs show as owned by Telus as well.

I am honestly tempted by the Shaw 150 at the NEW customer price, but to be honest my current speed is more than I normally need anyway. The upload speed is double what shaw offers (great for remote streaming or uploading), and my plan has an unlimited cap. Lightspeed also generally doesn't increment rates in the same way Shaw has for the last many years.

Thorin

But you're not actively switching back and forth every six months, right?

I looked at lightspeed again, they still only offer 50Mbps down in my area. $77.95 a month plus $5 for unlimited data plus $4.95 a month network access fee, $95.95 to buy the modem plus $10 to ship it, $75 and $15 set up fee. $87.90 per month, $195.95 start-up cost.

They were definitely competitive with Shaw's pricing until Shaw dropped their pricing. Still, would you switch to save a few bucks now and then switch back in six months? Or in two years, since Shaw's new pricing only happens if you sign a two-year agreement?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Melbosa

Quote from: Thorin on August 31, 2016, 05:29:00 PMEven Melbosa has switched back to Shaw, right?
I was with Shaw for many years, but recently switched to Telus 100/20 Bonded.  So I'm a Telus User once again.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Melbosa

Quote from: Thorin on September 01, 2016, 10:22:24 AM
They were definitely competitive with Shaw's pricing until Shaw dropped their pricing. Still, would you switch to save a few bucks now and then switch back in six months? Or in two years, since Shaw's new pricing only happens if you sign a two-year agreement?
Telus is a 2 Year Agreement, so is Shaw 150, so I don't think if you have either you can switch every 6 Months without paying the buyout.  On Telus its now $15/m left on your contract to buy out.  Not sure what the Shaw 150 is.

Thorin

Hu-uh.  I thought you were with Shaw.  Did you switch back to Telus before Shaw started offering WideOpen 150?  I thought you were in the same boat as Mr. A and Tom and me - hate Telus and their terrible customer support.

Shaw's 2-year Value Plan cancellation is $15/month for internet only, $20/month for internet and TV packaged together.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Melbosa

Quote from: Thorin on September 01, 2016, 10:50:18 AM
Hu-uh.  I thought you were with Shaw.  Did you switch back to Telus before Shaw started offering WideOpen 150?  I thought you were in the same boat as Mr. A and Tom and me - hate Telus and their terrible customer support.
I was with Shaw.  But then a few months ago a Telus guy came a knocking and offered me more for less than what I had with Shaw (a lot less), and they offered better upload than I could get with Shaw.  So I changed.  Then fast-forward to end of July, and Shaw offers better deal, which they didn't tell me was coming when I gave them a change to match Telus' offer.

And while I hate Telus' support model, I must say their TV, while requiring usage of their Modem as a router, if far superior interface and response time to even the best and newest Shaw devices.  That is one thing I will give Telus, as long as you have bandwidth, their Optik TV works very very well.