Car stereos in old Celicas

Started by Thorin, April 20, 2007, 12:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ustauk

Quote from: Melbosa on April 25, 2007, 11:28:54 PM
I'm back Ust, give me a call if you still want help.  I'm off the rest of the week.
Things are going to be pretty tight for me this coming weekend for time.  Assuming I got the deck, harness, and bracket ahead of time, how long would the installation take?  Would you be available Sunday afternoon?

Ustauk

I tried to upload a picture of my current deck this morning, but I had some trouble with the USB cable for my camera.  Anyways, it looked like two separate units, one on top of the other.  The cassette deck is on the bottom, with the radio/controls on top.

Melbosa

Quote from: Ustauk on April 26, 2007, 10:46:04 AM
Quote from: Melbosa on April 25, 2007, 11:28:54 PM
I'm back Ust, give me a call if you still want help.  I'm off the rest of the week.
Things are going to be pretty tight for me this coming weekend for time.  Assuming I got the deck, harness, and bracket ahead of time, how long would the installation take?  Would you be available Sunday afternoon?

Just give me a call and let me know.  I can probably get the shop to work on it on Sunday afternoon.  Shouldn't need the mounting kit, as most of the time I just modify the one in the Toyota's to work with all after market ones.  The Wiring Harness is great for getting this done quicker.  I would be doing it at Autoya, so Ray will be charging you some shop time to put it in.  Should be no more than 2-3 hours to do (depending on how much modifications I have to make to the dash to fit in your new deck).
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Cova

Should have the wiring harness purchased and all soldered together before ever taking the car to the shop.  If Melbosa can't do it, I can do that part.

Ustauk

Here's some pictures of my current deck.

Thorin

Classic!

Hey, is that really only your third and fourth picture you took with your phone?

Yeah, it's two separate units (you can see the crack inbetween) in a 2-DIN opening.  Now just to go to some stores and find a stereo that you like, eh?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

No offence meant to anyone, but please consider having it installed professionally. For the few extra bucks you'd spend (although I think some places do it for free?) if accidents happen they'd just pull a different part off a shelf instead of being stuck and having to buy a replacement.

I dunno, and remember, I'm a guy with no ability to legally drive a car, just seems like a safer way to go to me...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Well, at least ask them to tell you how much it would cost - with the "free installation" offers you might still have to pay to get a cover or pocket put on the bottom half, but for all I know that could cost *less* than a 2-6 of something plus a few hours of shop time.  And you'd be buying it anyway, if you get any of us to install it.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Ustauk

Quote from: Thorin on April 26, 2007, 11:10:21 PM
Hey, is that really only your third and fourth picture you took with your phone?
They're the third and fourth picture that have gone to my microsd card.  I switched the storage site from the internal memory to the card only recently.

Melbosa

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 26, 2007, 11:17:50 PM
No offence meant to anyone, but please consider having it installed professionally. For the few extra bucks you'd spend (although I think some places do it for free?) if accidents happen they'd just pull a different part off a shelf instead of being stuck and having to buy a replacement.

I dunno, and remember, I'm a guy with no ability to legally drive a car, just seems like a safer way to go to me...

This is sound advice, for any purchase or install.

Up to you.  I've done over 15 decks in various cars, even more amps and sub installs, and have yet to burn a deck doing any of it.  Just wanted to be clear on that.

Modern decks have at least 2 fuses built in for power serges.  One on the back of the deck, one on the constant power, and sometimes one on the ac power.  This pretty much prevents any damage to the decks internal components.  Most causes of deck failures are heat issues, which a fair number of cars between 75-95 have their car decks just below or above (or in front of) the heat system in the car.  The deck eventually just breaks down due to extensive heat exposure.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

So did you ever get yourself a new stereo, mate?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Ustauk

Quote from: Thorin on May 31, 2007, 10:20:23 AM
No, I missed doing it the Sunday I intended to do it.  I probably won't get it done until June or July now, since I've spent a fair bit of my savings recently and have to pay property tax at the end of June.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Ustauk on May 31, 2007, 10:37:39 AM
No, I missed doing it the Sunday I intended to do it.  I probably won't get it done until June or July now, since I've spent a fair bit of my savings recently and have to pay property tax at the end of June.

So...which is it? Money or time? LOL :lol:
By Grabthar's Hammer

Ustauk

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 31, 2007, 11:02:50 AM

Both :)

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Ustauk on May 31, 2007, 11:31:12 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 31, 2007, 11:02:50 AM

Both :)

That's unpossible:

If you had the time on that Sunday you would have done it, yes? Then it was timing.

Since that time you've either spent the money you had allocated to that project or you've re-evaluated the feasibility of the project altogether (which to me seems odd).

Of course the tinfoil hatted person might think that you might be thinking of getting a new deck in a newer car due to additional pressure from an outside source, this is my own crazy gamma-ray induced speculation, since if you had put aside the money before, you knew what your spending limits would be when you were shopping between the day you were supposed to get the work done and today. That to me means that you either changed your mind on a fairly large project when you were shopping in that between-time interval or you have changed where that allocated money was going...

;) :lol: Just buggin' ya :)
By Grabthar's Hammer