Choosing a new router...or hacking the BIOS

Started by Mr. Analog, May 29, 2007, 11:49:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

So, with the recent addition of Tonnica on my network I've noticed some problems in the realm of connection management. I have a web server which, at times, can have a good number of incoming requests thought this is usually manageable and fairly predictable usage on the other hand there are two of us both using P2P software (eMule, Azureus, etc) and browsing fairly link active sites (frequently I will have more than 15 browser tabs open at a time) this kind of usage surges wildly day to day. Obviously adding another web-heavy user is going to cause strain on any home network and I'm reasonably sure it's not the Shaw line causing my problems it's just the sheer volume of connections my trusty old WRT54G (v5.0, FYI) has to deal with.

Now there are a world of options out there including throttling the number of open connections by using QoS features on the router, upgrading to a router with more connection handling ability or using a different BIOS to have more control over the processing of the connections.

To help me solve this dilemma you can:

• Show me analysis tools I can use to diagnose my problem
  • Help me find and use a good alternate BIOS
  • Recommend a beefier router

P.S. Please do not offer to do this for me, I'm looking for information on this subject to bring my networking skills back up to speed so a starting point that might lead to a lot of research on my side is acceptable. I'm looking for the "why" and the "how" on this problem ;)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

I have similar connection traffic and QoS issues on my end.  Currently I have a WRT54GS router (S for the extra ram in the unit) and use Hyperwrt hacked BIOS for the connection management and QoS functionality.

Only way I determined that I needed better service support from my router was checking my connection logs on my web servers/ftp server and correlating that with my disruption times (running a lot of P2P at the time, and FTP traffic).  Then through trial and error found the best fit for my environment.  Lazy can give you a better understanding about multiple P2P client traffic off one network, and how to handle that better (after all I am only one user on my network, with multiple servers providing a variety of internet services, plus my own personal traffic needs).
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tom

I find I can't use any of the embeded routers. They just aren't beefy enough. (I easily crash and hang them, multiple times a day)

I now use pfSense on my firewall, and its setup is very slick. Doesn't require powerfull hardware, and is easy to setup. But it needs a pc of sorts to run on (doesn't require a HD, much ram, or much cpu).
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on May 29, 2007, 03:03:01 PM
I find I can't use any of the embeded routers. They just aren't beefy enough. (I easily crash and hang them, multiple times a day)

I now use pfSense on my firewall, and its setup is very slick. Doesn't require powerfull hardware, and is easy to setup. But it needs a pc of sorts to run on (doesn't require a HD, much ram, or much cpu).
I have no room for additional machines, what I'm looking at currently is something like this.

Or possibly even going dual modem for MOAR bandwidth (but we'll see about that).
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

The important bits of any home/soho/office router is the amount of memory it has and secondary, cpu power. If it has little ram, you're going to hit a connection limit quite soon.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on May 29, 2007, 03:51:30 PM
The important bits of any home/soho/office router is the amount of memory it has and secondary, cpu power. If it has little ram, you're going to hit a connection limit quite soon.

That's why I'm doing research now. If what I choose can run a small business network reliably then I should be ok.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Oh, just saw this on Ars:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070529-yoggie-pico-offers-a-linux-based-firewall-inside-a-usb-key.html

That looks like a great firewall solution :) Just turn off all the firewalling and other stuff in your current router, and all should be fine :)

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on May 29, 2007, 04:00:04 PM
Oh, just saw this on Ars:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070529-yoggie-pico-offers-a-linux-based-firewall-inside-a-usb-key.html

That looks like a great firewall solution :) Just turn off all the firewalling and other stuff in your current router, and all should be fine :)

Well, I'd be more impressed if it didn't just hijack the WinXP TCP/IP stack. :-/

I'll figure something out. Maybe put Tonnica in the DMZ lol
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

The stack in the usb stick is much better imo. And it'd all run on its own cpu, offloading all networking to the usb stick, saving cpu time. The only thing I'd worry about is USB2 throughput.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on May 29, 2007, 04:08:31 PM
The stack in the usb stick is much better imo. And it'd all run on its own cpu, offloading all networking to the usb stick, saving cpu time. The only thing I'd worry about is USB2 throughput.

But then I'd have to run another machine, since I don't really want DHCP running on the same server as IIS.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

That soho router you posted looks decent. though I didn't look up any of the actual specs.

Lazybones

I will come over and mode your firmware for you like. The WRT you have is the lower memory edition, so that could be a problem.

I am somewhat sure bandwidth (down link) is not a problem, unless your hosted content is hosing your system (up link), in which case we can adjust QoS to your server specifically so that you can still browse.

Mr. Analog

I need to take a run to Memory Express sometime this week to buy a new MP3 player, once I've looked around I might just fork over the $$$ and buy a more rugged router.

I was also discussing the idea of getting a second cable modem with Tonnica today, between the two of us the cost is negligible and seeing the price of the multi-WAN / dual mode capable routers it might be something to consider...

Oh the joys of profit share!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Tom, wants to make a MemX run as well. Maybe we should car pool.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on May 29, 2007, 08:53:32 PM
Tom, wants to make a MemX run as well. Maybe we should car pool.

Yay! Nerd Shopping Spree! LOL :D
By Grabthar's Hammer