Choosing a new router...or hacking the BIOS

Started by Mr. Analog, May 29, 2007, 11:49:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 30, 2007, 09:03:33 AM
Just to illustrate the kind of traffic that crawls VGER, a search for "Nadesico" on Google Images yields my server in the first page, within the first 15 results.

Maybe I should throttle my web server HTTP bandwidth haha.

Speaking of Nadesico... did you ever get the movie back or a new one?  Still haven't seen it.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on May 30, 2007, 09:04:05 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 30, 2007, 08:32:22 AM
Well, all I know is that when I unplug my router and plug it back in everything goes back to normal. When I connect directly to the 'net with just my machine (and software firewall haha) everything is normal. When I have the router in there things get slow over time, but not every day. Yesterday for example was just fine for P2P and surfing, but a couple of days ago I could barely get connection.

Actually this sounds exactly like what happens when the default firmware runs out of memory because it is not purging old connections.

In some revisions of the firmware the router just reboots.

Alternatively it could be a hardware problem where the unit is over heating but they run hot anyway.

I don't think it's overheating; during the day I leave the air conditioner on and my condo is a comfy 22?C (31% humidity).

I have the latest firmware installed and I even tried reverting to older firmware (with similar results). I'll do some more checking today, but I think I'll just throw some money at this problem (puts on PHB)...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on May 30, 2007, 09:06:29 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 30, 2007, 09:03:33 AM
Just to illustrate the kind of traffic that crawls VGER, a search for "Nadesico" on Google Images yields my server in the first page, within the first 15 results.

Maybe I should throttle my web server HTTP bandwidth haha.

Speaking of Nadesico... did you ever get the movie back or a new one?  Still haven't seen it.

It's in the box, next to the ark of the covenant (I think). When I unpack it we'll have a Nadesco night!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Well if have decided to get a new one, I would be interested in the old one.. They are great for connecting wireless bridges across the house

Cova

Quote from: Melbosa on May 30, 2007, 08:33:33 AM
If we look, DC5AB takes in roughly 230 hits a day: http://misc.righteouswrath.com/awstats/awstats.pl?month=04&year=2007&output=main&config=www.dc5ab.com&framename=index

Why ya gotta make DC5AB look so small...  It averages roughly 20000 hits per day, in a little over 3000 page-views, for almost 250 visitors.

As for the routing problems - you've already said you don't want to use a PC for it, and that pretty much limits my suggestions.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Cova on May 30, 2007, 10:27:20 AM
As for the routing problems - you've already said you don't want to use a PC for it, and that pretty much limits my suggestions.

A PC just wouldn't fit in my current floor plan etc. If I can get an appliance for under $200 that will work for me I think it's just as well.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Quote from: Cova on May 30, 2007, 10:27:20 AM
Why ya gotta make DC5AB look so small...  It averages roughly 20000 hits per day, in a little over 3000 page-views, for almost 250 visitors.

hehe, Yeah I meant to put in Unique Vistor per day, but for some reason forgot... just about the same time when our Email System here at work decided to lock up, so I was posting that fast.

Mr. Analog

Jeez this router is nice! I am blown away!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

QuoteJeez this router is nice! I am blown away!
Good to hear! Seemed worth the extra 10-20 for the business model :)
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Melbosa

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 30, 2007, 10:48:06 PM

You going to share which model with us all?  Or is this a big secret :P?

Ustauk

Does this mean you have a wirless router for sale?

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on May 31, 2007, 07:48:08 AM

You going to share which model with us all?  Or is this a big secret :P?

Y'know I picked this one (D-Link DI-724GU Wireless 108G Gigabit Office Router) sort of at random but since I did I started doing some research it had everything I wanted and a lot of good reviews, so I picked it up yesterday ($180).

• Super easy to install
  • MIND-BOGGLINGLY nice firmware interface
  • QoS easy to administrate
  • Nice, strong Wi-Fi signal
  • It also has a built in print server (via USB)

Quote from: Ustauk on May 31, 2007, 08:51:44 AM
Does this mean you have a wirless router for sale?

Well, two things naturally:

• It's spoken for already (Lazy?) as a Wi-Fi node
  • For a firewall router it's @%&#E

When I say it was @%&#, I mean it. The old WRT54G (v1.0) was awesome the replacement I bought after the power died on the old one (v5.0) sucked ass, it would tank on what I would think was an acceptable number of connections and the administration / BIOS wasn't very good (in comparison to the D-Link). I mean, if I wanted to open the port for MSN (for example) sure the Linksys had the ability to set up "applications" but they were routed to particular IPs.

At any rate, if you want to see muh new router in action, hit my website or my FTP.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

If you want a wrt these days, make sure its a WRT54GL. comes with more ram and flash than any of the others (because its the replacement for the old WRG54G, cause people got mad when they changed to VxWorks and halved the ram+flash).
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!