Netflix Canada is only $7.99 / MO !!!!

Started by Lazybones, September 22, 2010, 11:11:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 01, 2010, 08:41:20 PM
Bwah bwuh...

Anyone tried the Wii version?

It requires a disk, I requested one and recieved both a notice that there is a shortage due to demand and another that my disk has shipped.

Since my xbox outputs hd over digital hdmi vs the Wii doing 480p analog I will test the Wii but probably not use it for Netflix unless on another tv.

Tom

Do you have the wii's component/hd connector? I bet that'd give you netflix quality picture.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on October 01, 2010, 10:38:45 PM
Do you have the wii's component/hd connector? I bet that'd give you netflix quality picture.
yes it is connected by component but it still only outputs 480p

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on October 01, 2010, 10:52:24 PM
Gah, that sucks. Though netflix isn't the highest quality. They seem to compress the living daylights out of the video.

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on October 01, 2010, 11:02:35 PM
Gah, that sucks. Though netflix isn't the highest quality. They seem to compress the living daylights out of the video.

I would say it is inconsistent, much like early DVDs, also not all of the content is even presented in HD.  Several of the newer kids cartoons we have played where in HD and looked great.. where Elmo in grouch land had lots of artifacts...  Its a mixed bag.

Melbosa

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 01, 2010, 08:41:20 PM
Bwah bwuh...

Anyone tried the Wii version?

Yes, especially since I don't own a Wii :P :D

Bwah... bwuh...
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on October 01, 2010, 11:02:35 PM

Nature of the beast I suppose.

Yeah, after getting my snazzy TV I found out all about the whole bizarre video output deal they had going there with the Wii. The 480p they offer is somewhat "hack-y". Not all of the arcade downloads are compatible.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

FYI there is now a Disk free version for the Wii on the market place... So as of now the Wii and PS3 should be disk free and available... Xbox 360 will be available disk free with the fall update, or now if you are in the preview.

Tom

I have two problems. My "TV" (a 24" 1080p LCD monitor) only has VGA, DVI and HDMI inputs. The Wii doesn't support any of those :( And netflix seems to have a somewhat limited selection.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on October 18, 2010, 11:01:47 AM
I have two problems. My "TV" (a 24" 1080p LCD monitor) only has VGA, DVI and HDMI inputs. The Wii doesn't support any of those :( And netflix seems to have a somewhat limited selection.

Get a PS3 then ;) hahaha (SERIOUSLY j/k)

I think the selection is pretty sweet actually: http://www.netflix.ca/Search?v1=mst3k that'd keep you busy for WEEKS

And the best part is: You don't have to wantonly violate copyright!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 19, 2010, 06:24:20 AM
Quote from: Tom on October 18, 2010, 11:01:47 AM

Get a PS3 then ;) hahaha (SERIOUSLY j/k)

I think the selection is pretty sweet actually: http://www.netflix.ca/Search?v1=mst3k that'd keep you busy for WEEKS

And the best part is: You don't have to wantonly violate copyright!
I dunno. Nearly every time I had an urge to watch something, or look something specific up, it didn't have whatever it was I was looking for.

Lazybones

Did some testing with the downloadable Wii version. The quality is very good, however high quality hd content downsamples very well where SD only content can get very blocky a times if it was already blocky. The downsampling seems to make it much worse.

The UI on the Wii is very clean and easy to read.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on October 19, 2010, 08:13:37 AM
Though I haven't used it myself I've seen some screenshots and I have to agree, it seems very clean (which is important).
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 19, 2010, 02:55:27 PM
Though I haven't used it myself I've seen some screenshots and I have to agree, it seems very clean (which is important).

Also the navigation on the Wii uses the D-pad and Primary buttons so it is very exact, no waggle or dragging and pointing.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on October 19, 2010, 04:34:17 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 19, 2010, 02:55:27 PM

Also the navigation on the Wii uses the D-pad and Primary buttons so it is very exact, no waggle or dragging and pointing.

Always a plus!

I love WiiWare but I hate the store...
By Grabthar's Hammer