Slashdot gets a new Look

Started by Mr. Analog, January 26, 2011, 10:03:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Well... it's better than the Slashdot 2.0 that came out a few years back but it's EXTREMELY script heavy and has tons of formatting problems.

The whitespace is killing my eyes Danny

All my Slashboxes are gone too... very annoying

Slashdot's HTML has always sucked, but honestly the "classic" view is still the best. Loads fast, light scripting and easy on the eyes.

In the interim I'm reading http://www.slashdigg.com/
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Ya, it isn't a great update... I don't like any of the slashdot designs really.. For a technical site they sure seem to screw up formatting and technical standards a lot.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on January 26, 2011, 11:41:08 AM
Ya, it isn't a great update... I don't like any of the slashdot designs really.. For a technical site they sure seem to screw up formatting and technical standards a lot.

Agreed, it seems that no matter how bad an old design was the new design will suck more...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Dear god they're at it again...

The key design feature seems to be burning my eyes with low contrast text and hiding all the comment controls (comments being the only real reason to go to /. on a regular basis).

Augh!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Hm, what comment controls? the "show only comments above/blow X score"? It's there but its a slider.

Otherwise yeah, its even hard for me to read.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on October 01, 2013, 01:17:24 PM
Hm, what comment controls? the "show only comments above/blow X score"? It's there but its a slider.

Otherwise yeah, its even hard for me to read.

There are new changes in Beta (I should have mentioned that) I got a preview link this morning.

It's like they took everything I hated with the 2011 redesign and condensed it into a super version of everything I don't like.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Here's the link: http://beta.slashdot.org/

It's in heavy flux still but yeesh
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 01, 2013, 01:19:57 PM
Here's the link: http://beta.slashdot.org/

It's in heavy flux still but yeesh

Must also be designed by someone that keeps one or both of their monitors in a vertical orientation all the time since the fix width is crazy small on my screens

Tom

wow. I'm surprised they went for that sort of super-flat low-contrast look. sure its popular right now, but wow.

Quote from: Lazybones on October 01, 2013, 01:42:01 PM
Must also be designed by someone that keeps one or both of their monitors in a vertical orientation all the time since the fix width is crazy small on my screens
Or mobile. They may only use their ipads to view it ;D
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Yeah it hurts my brain to look at it
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

It's like Windows 8 meets Tumblr.

But the worst elements of both!

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on October 01, 2013, 04:41:05 PM
It's like Windows 8 meets Tumblr.

But the worst elements of both!

Hah!

They are getting roasted in the comments, which hopefully affects change

http://meta.slashdot.org/story/13/10/01/1849218/come-try-out-slashdots-new-design-in-beta
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

I made it a point to reply as well... There is NOTHING I like in that new layout... it is hard to read, wastes space, makes comments difficult to track... NOTHING, it isn't faster or anything..

Opening it on my phone it is even worse, the current mobile mode took getting sued to but the beta just is awful.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Lazybones on October 01, 2013, 05:09:59 PM
makes comments difficult to track

Well in the case of the "feedback" comments, there's only one that you need to read:
If you make this change, you will kill Slashdot*.
:clap:

PS: widen your browser window all the way, look on the left and right -- HELLO, WASTED SPACE!  :wall:
(oh, wait, are those where ads go? -- let me try it in AdBlock-Free Internet Explorer ... [Achievement Unlocked: Inconsistent CSS aka WTFImageStretching.com] )

"...I'm not exaggerating even slightly. Many people spend time here to read and participate in the commentary. By shoehorning the comments into that tiny space beneath the article you're saying "comments aren't important", something which will in all likelihood be soon followed by "comments are a liability" and then "comments now require moderation before being posted". People tolerate the Slash-Bi(sexual) crap now because it takes a second seat to the real meat of the articles and commentary. By reversing those roles you're telling 85% of the active userbase that they're no longer welcome."

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Well, they updated the Beta again and... changed virtually nothing.

I don't know if it's the change of ownership or what but they seem hell bent on ripping away any point to going to /.

What a waste.
By Grabthar's Hammer