Laptop with detachable screen?

Started by Thorin, August 13, 2011, 03:26:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

This is a neat idea, a latop with a removable screen!  Well, actually a tablet with an attachable keyboard and touchpad.  Still...

source: http://www.walmart.ca/Electronics/Computers/Tablets/Asus-Eee-Pad-Transformer-TF101-A2-Tablet

Yes, I know I'm sourcing Walmart, that's just where I saw this image first.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Thorin

Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

There are probably a hundred keyboard cases for the iPad.

Check this one out http://clamcase.com/

Thorin

Hadn't seen any of them.

iPad (1 or 2) + ClamCase is quite a bit more expensive than Asus Eee Transformer...

There is that question begging to be asked, of course: why not get a real laptop with the obvious improvement in speed and ability?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on August 13, 2011, 07:33:52 PM
Hadn't seen any of them.

iPad (1 or 2) + ClamCase is quite a bit more expensive than Asus Eee Transformer...

There is that question begging to be asked, of course: why not get a real laptop with the obvious improvement in speed and ability?

Never suggested I wanted or had the Keyboard...

As for why an iPad vs a Laptop or netbook? The number 1 use of a computer around my house is surfing, Netflix and a few games.. The iPad is excellent at this, is light, durable, reliable and easy to use.

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on August 13, 2011, 07:33:52 PM

Actually it about matches... Although shown with the doc, the transformer doc is actually an additional $150 according to this review.
http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/asus-eee-pad-transformer/4505-3126_7-34467853.html?tag=mncol;txt

So is is near par with the lowest end iPad2

Thorin

The Walmart link says the Asus includes the docking station (under "Accessories Included" as well as in the item description), for $496.  The cheapest iPad at Walmart is $519 + $149 for the ClamCase = $172 more or 34.68% higher price.

I have no idea which is the better tablet, though; one runs Android 3.2, the other runs (I think?) iOS 4, they both have the same storage capacity, they both have HD cameras (I hope?)...  The price difference might be worth it, or it might not be.  Would need to do some research to determine that.

As for my question about why not get a real laptop, that wasn't aimed at you Lazy, just one of those "why would a person" questions.  The idea of a tablet that can function like a laptop (well, a netbook) is cool, but tablets aren't exactly known for their blazing-fast processing power.  Hell, the idea of multitasking (multiple programs running at once) is still kind of new on tablets.  I certainly see the appeal in a super-light, super-long-lasting type of portable computer, but there'll be a lot of things these can't do, even with a keyboard attached.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on August 13, 2011, 08:15:34 PM
I certainly see the appeal in a super-light, super-long-lasting type of portable computer, but there'll be a lot of things these can't do, even with a keyboard attached.

I think this is why ALL Apple ads focus on what their devices CAN do... Look at how the competitors are trying to sell their devices. The best RIM can come up with is "FLASH" ooooooo we have flash and multi-tasking that is basically the whole ad..

HP is a little better, they slap a tablet in place of the head of a GLEE star and show it can do video, and sound and multi tasking.. really ground breaking...

What does Apples at show? Well it shows that you can in one click Video chat, in a few taps book a flight, read a book, etc... All activities, they never get into the technology.

Mr. Analog

I'm surprised that more companies haven't figured this out: show people DOING things with your products.

I think RIM is in outer space sometimes, I found their ads to be fairly pointless for similar reasons Lazy suggests I mean for the longest time (correct me if I'm wrong) their main claim to fame was "syncs with Exchange really well" and even that they took for granted and never really advertised.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

I think the worst tech product ad right now however is the Windows 7 ad where they put a PC store in a woman's house and make her pick a new one. The WHOLE AD has nothing to do with Windows 7... Right at the beginning, they state she doesn't think she needs to upgrade (happy with what she has?) and at the end she purchases a PC based on "ooo I like the look of this one". Windows 7 factor in purchase ? zero other than it is the default OS.

Thorin

Aren't the Windows advertisements pretty much always the worst of the bunch?

Actually, the Win7 ads where people would talk about an idea they came up with (like easier networking), that was not too bad.  I think the slogan was "Windows 7 is my idea", or something like that.

Also, note that the Apple ads do advertise what their product can do, but they only mention in small print what the requirements are (eg wifi for Video Chat).  But that's classic marketing - highlight the positives, downplay the negatives.  Much like making a D&D character.

Man, I wanna play me some D&D!
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

There's no surprise here that the company with the best advertising is also regarded as the brightest rising star of gadgetry ;)

The Microsoft "my idea" wasn't bad in comparison to some of their other marketing, still kind of "meh" though.

Yes, D&D dammit! I almost packed my dice away last week, aren't we close to level 2?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 15, 2011, 10:37:24 AM
Yes, D&D dammit! I almost packed my dice away last week, aren't we close to level 2?

We have teh Ex-Peez, we just need teh Extenz Restz.

I'm almost ready to just start a Classic D&D campaign with my kids and wife, just to get my hit.  Pretty soon I'll just be sitting in a corner rocking back and forth, whispering, "THAC0, THAC0, THAC0", over and over.

Wow, talk about taking the thread sideways.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Don't make me split this thread ;) Unless you plan on using the Asus EEE for DnD

Mr. Analog

My character sheet is loaded onto my Xoom, it would be cool if there was better tablet support for D&D, I mean I can use some of the online tools for sure but they aren't exactly designed around a tablet-y interface (maybe I do need that detachable keyboard after all).
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

iplay4e.com has a tablet-specific view of your character data.
It's free.
It has shortcuts to DDI Compendium entries, for when you need to look up specific rules on an ability.
Export your character from the character generator and import it into iplay4e.
Security goes through Google Accounts, so no new login.
And you can track current status, like hit points, surges, encounters and dailies used, etc.

They also have a phone-size-optimized view of your character, and it works great on an iPhone.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

I'm pretty sure I tried that before and ran into issues, I'll try it again
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

?Non-Apple? tablet makers forced to cut prices following weak sales
http://www.bgr.com/2011/08/16/non-apple-tablet-makers-forced-to-cut-prices-following-weak-sales/
QuoteEven the success stories among tablet vendors are exhibiting less-than-stellar sell-through, with companies like ASUS, creator of the popular Eee Pad Transformer, said to have left nearly 30% of the 700,000 tablets it shipped between May and July on store shelves.

So that explains why there was such a HUGE price different between the review and the current price. They are basically giving them away trying to get in on the market. Wonder what that will do long term for support?

Mr. Analog

Well, I think the tight economy might be holding back a larger marketplace for tablet computing (which is a niche in its own right), I think we'll only see a few players in this arena by next year. I can't help but wonder if some of the patent madness that's happening in the world of mobiles right now is affecting how heavily some companies want to compete in the same field as Apple/Google(Motorola)/RIM etc

Time will tell I guess.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones