Media Streamer Device

Started by Melbosa, January 04, 2012, 07:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

I think the problem he is trying to avoid is when two devices require a trans-code, then it is unrealistic to even expect a fairly high end machine to do two feeds a real time. However if one is trans-coding you should be able to serve another as long as it is native.

Melbosa

Quote from: Thorin on January 05, 2012, 02:26:28 PM
PS3MS can't handle two HD streams at once, or the machine that PS3MS runs on can't handle two HD streams at once?
The server it runs off of won't have the ability to trans-code two 1080p movies at the same time, based on bandwidth and ram it has.  PS3MS can do as many as your hardware will allow.  My server will do two 720p tv shows at the same time.   Or music, pictures and a 1080p movies at the same time.

Quote from: Thorin on January 05, 2012, 02:26:28 PM
I'm going to have to try running multiple streams through the Xbox360 and a couple of laptops all at the same time, to see what happens with TVersity (since it's running on a pretty old machine with a pretty cheap video card that was bought for its silence, not it's power - 8400 GS).
Depends on your source that you are streaming in relation to your bandwidth available and the hardware of the computer.  480p sources are easier to stream.  Also depend on how heavily it has to trans-code the source.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

Ah yes, multiple on-the-fly transcodings.

So this device you're looking at, it just reads directly from a network drive and then does its own transcoding?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Melbosa

Well trans-coding no, decoding yes - and direct network share access yes, NFS and Samba.  This one has codecs for lots of formats: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330, so it natively can play a lot more than the PS3, so shouldn't need to use the DNLA server for trans-coding as much as the PS3 does.

Lazybones

Quote from: Melbosa on January 05, 2012, 03:14:15 PM
Well trans-coding no, decoding yes - and direct network share access yes, NFS and Samba.  This one has codecs for lots of formats: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330, so it natively can play a lot more than the PS3, so shouldn't need to use the DNLA server for trans-coding as much as the PS3 does.

Hmm now I am going to have to swing by Costco again, because I think I saw it on sale recently but ignored it due to some previous negative reviews... But that may have been for older models.

Lazybones

Looks like Western Digital has called several year models almost EXACTLY the same thing... Looks the the NEW GOOD one WD TV Live costs more than an Apple TV. On the plus side it support 1080P.

Melbosa

Quote from: Lazybones on January 05, 2012, 03:57:38 PM
Looks like Western Digital has called several year models almost EXACTLY the same thing... Looks the the NEW GOOD one WD TV Live costs more than an Apple TV. On the plus side it support 1080P.

The new good one is the Hub which has a built in 1TB Harddrive and a DNLA trans-coder.  But the latest one I linked you is at Memory Express (http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX36756) for $99.99 and is fairly decent - not as good as the Hub, but decent.  It isn't a whole-one-stop solution though.  Its a $100 solution ;) - and it does Full 1080p.

Lazybones

Quote from: Melbosa on January 05, 2012, 04:06:49 PM
Quote from: Lazybones on January 05, 2012, 03:57:38 PM

The new good one is the Hub which has a built in 1TB Harddrive and a DNLA trans-coder.  But the latest one I linked you is at Memory Express (http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX36756) for $99.99 and is fairly decent - not as good as the Hub, but decent.  It isn't a whole-one-stop solution though.  Its a $100 solution ;) - and it does Full 1080p.

I had seen the non-hub one listed for $114, but you are right Memx has the basic good one for $99... Have to poke around for some reviews.

Lazybones

Better watch for CES devices

Always Innovating HDMI dongle brings Android to your 'dumb TV'
http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/07/always-innovating-hdmi-dongle-android-tv-video/

Lazybones

I managed to get my boxing day TV mounted and setup, this left me in need of a media streamer on the old TV... Not wanting to wait for shipping I picked up a LG ST 600 http://www.lg.com/ca_en/tv-audio-video/video/LG-ST600.jsp .

So far it seems to perform very well, however not having any 1080p content on hand at the moment I am downloading some samples to see how it does.

It has native share mounting support as well as DLNA certification... Like all of the Smart TVs the UI is not great but it works....

I will get back to you once I have had a chance to test it with more content... All of my standard content and Netflix all appear to play over WiFi so far and well so it might be a keeper.

Lazybones

Did a bit more testing with the  LG ST 600 and so far it plays everything I have tossed at it, accept one movie that I think has some errors as most of my other devices have issues with it.

I was able to play 780p mov, mp4, avi and mkv files both directly over wifi/share and DLNA.

I downloaded a 1080p x264 trailer and was able to play it over wifi cleanly (may depend on bitrate)

This box seems very capable, my only issue is the UI which frankly sucks.

Thorin

Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on January 17, 2012, 12:45:02 PM
How much was the LG ST 600?

$89 at Costco.  They also had the old WD from last year for $79.

Only picked up the LG since I could not find the new WD in store at the same price point locally.
It also appears to have active firmware support with a new release still in beta. However rumor has it LG will be releasing something new this year.

If you run plex for your media server apparently you get an optional xbmc style mode via one of the apps, but there are bugs with that addressed in the beta.

Price and codec wise it seems decent, can't really recomend it based on the ui.

Lazybones

Well my LG started to lock up so I took it back and picked up the new WD TV Live.

Man they aren't even in the same league.

The WD tv has a great ui!
Has its own tvdb medata data download library.
A better Netflix ui
IPhone remote app (great for typing in searches)
Supports HDMI control commands ( your tv can control it directly if it is new enough)
Normal size remote (lost the tiny lg remote all the time)

Wish I hand not wasted any time on the LG.

Melbosa

Hehe... sometimes it pays to listen to me... sometimes :P

Spent a lot of research on that little device and its competitors... now I just have to wait until after my wedding when I have time to go buy one!  If you have any more feedback, please share as I would love to know it's faults or bonuses from anyone before I buy.