Media Streamer Device

Started by Melbosa, January 04, 2012, 07:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Have had a chance to play with it a little now:
Cons:
- The current firmware does a bad job of auto identifying files as TV for the meta data feature, IE a file named "Show Title 1x1.ext": or  "Show Title S01E01.ext" would work but not "Show Title S01E01 - Episode Title.ext" Unfortunately this is what almost all of my newer content is named like.
- The UI could use some more text to label symbols (not just when they are highlighted)
- You can bookmark favorite folders etc but only for content in library mode.
- Sources can be confusing, it remembers your last source
- Managing which sources are in the library is buried rather deep in the setup menu.

Pro:
- Forgot to mention it comes with RCA connections, making it possible to use with older TVs
- Displays the local time and weather / temp in on the main screen.

Opinion is still far better than other devices I have used like this. Not as good as XBMC.

I have a feeling that once the bugs are worked out that Raspberry Pi + XBMC will far exceed devices like this.

Lazybones

The thing that put me off the WD was that the previous model got such so so, reviews and if you don't do some advanced year based filters it is hard to find info on the new one, hell even some screen shots showing that the UI is really decent also Costo and several other places are still trying to offload the old ones.

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-media-receivers/wd-tv-live-2011/4505-6739_7-35026900.html

There also appears to be some custom firmware floating around for the WD TV Live devices, haven't looked into it too much but it looks like they add some nice UI tweaks.
http://www.wdtvlive.net/

Lazybones

Ok annoyingly the media library feature does not like my episode naming standard so other than my movies the media library doesn't work that well.

However its IE is still far superior to my other devices and so far it has played everything I have tossed at it.

Lazybones

Just saw the Roku 2 Canadian units have arrived.. Saw them in London drugs.

Melbosa

Well Cinavia finally showed up on my First Gen PS3 the other day, so I hooked up my WD Live in the living room.  What a slick device!!!!  Much better than the other 3 I have tried.  Now I need another one for the house... anyone tried the new Roku?

I don't want to have to play with getting things to work anymore when it comes to HTPC stuff... I just want to buy a device, plug it in and set it to point at my shares and play... no more install this or setup that.  I'm getting lazy in my later years I think.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tom

Quote from: Melbosa on July 30, 2012, 01:54:56 PM
Well Cinavia finally showed up on my First Gen PS3 the other day, so I hooked up my WD Live in the living room.  What a slick device!!!!  Much better than the other 3 I have tried.  Now I need another one for the house... anyone tried the new Roku?

I don't want to have to play with getting things to work anymore when it comes to HTPC stuff... I just want to buy a device, plug it in and set it to point at my shares and play... no more install this or setup that.  I'm getting lazy in my later years I think.
I've been pondering getting a USB/HDMI GoogleTV stick, mostly for Youtubing it up. But if I find one that works at least as well as my htpc for my video/music share, I might just decomission my htpc.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

You should go look at my thread about using Plex Media server.

1. Its DLNA works well with the WD Live so you are good there.
2. The Roku 2 has a native app for Plex that gives you rich metadata

The Roku 2 is service dependent unlike the WD Live. The Roku has no built in way to view local network media, everything needs to be fed to it via a online streaming service or server... However using Plex it works very well.

Lazybones

Forgot to mention that Vizio will have a $100 android unit out soon
http://phandroid.com/2012/07/24/vizio-co-star-google-tv-pre-orders-open-at-100-shipping-august-14th/

Plex already has a VERY rich Android client and XBMC will be out soon as well.

Melbosa

I have been following your Plex thread, and had forgotten about the Roku 2's need for streaming server..... I like the WD's network share feature so I guess Roku 2 is out.

Lazybones

Quote from: Melbosa on July 30, 2012, 03:28:53 PM
I have been following your Plex thread, and had forgotten about the Roku 2's need for streaming server..... I like the WD's network share feature so I guess Roku 2 is out.

The WD works fairly well with PLEX over DLNA but you miss out on most of the Meta data displaying... It does however support folder and episode images over DLNA so it isn't bad. There was some talk on the thread that there may be a way to get the WD to work with the extended metadata and they where looking into it for Plex server.

Funny thing is that I HATED the WD direct mounting because it gathered its own metadata and was really fussy and slow about it... I much prefer the centralized Plex model so Metadata is collected and corrected ONCE for all devices.

Melbosa

Hmmm well I bought a Roku 2 XS today as it was on sale at my local London Drugs.  Now to get my Plex on...

Mr. Analog

Going to ... Plex ... your muscles?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

OK so first up my Roku 2 XS Review:

Pros:

• Dummy Proof to Setup
  • Simplistic GUI
  • Sexy with Plex, very Sexy stuff
  • Crackle - Free Streaming SD Movies!
  • IR + BlueTooth support

Cons:

• No Optical Out - Big negative for my home theatre setup - this one goes in the bedroom
  • Not a lot available to configure in options - pretty limited to what you can set.
  • Have to buy XS (top model) to get an Ethernet Port - WTF?
  • Dashboard is not Customizable

In fairness I do not have an HDMI compatible receiver for my surround sound so I can't comment on how the audio works.  Video looks fine.

Now my WD Live Review:
Pros:

• Dummy Proof to Setup
  • Nice Themable GUI
  • Works well with Plex, but wish there was an app/plugin now that I have seen what comes on the Roku 2
  • Direct Network Share Access
  • Lots of options to configure
  • Remote is nicer than Roku 2
  • Optical Out, Ethernet Out

Cons:

• No Plex App Support
  • Takes a while to come out sleep mode

Lazybones

I constantly had issues with the WD forgetting my shares and favorites but I agree hardware and technical wise it is better. Also it isn't bad with Plex over Dlna.

However when the Roku is mated with Plex you get a Netflix like experiance for your home media collection.

The windows Plex client and the Samsung smart hub app (Smart tv and blueray players) UI is even nicer however those devices cost a lot more.

Till the android devices hit the market the Roku 2 is probably the cheapest and easiest client.