Extremely Slow File Copy

Started by Mr. Analog, September 26, 2012, 09:48:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

I think the HDD (or WinXP) is nearing death or something as recently it seems like file copy operations are slow as hell, I'm trying to push 4 GB from C drive to another drive and it's taking bloody forever (re: hours)

I'm not sure if WinXP is ready for re-install or if it's actually the drive.

Defrag doesn't show much fragmentation

The counter just keeps going up and up, very frustrating...

Any tools I can use to figure out if it's the drive?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

1. Run a full checkdsk on both drives.
2. At least run the analysis function from http://www.mydefrag.com/ to see if it is a fragmentation issue. (note you normally need more than 10% free space to fragment a drive.
3. Find the Manufacture diagnostic tool for each drive and test them with that.

Tom

See if you also can't get an app to look at the S.M.A.R.T. data on both drives. Things of interest may be realocated sectors and error counts.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Found the issue, there was a file backup process failing silently to my Drobo and it was locking everything on C

My Drobo is nearly full so that's why so slow.

Thanks guys!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on September 26, 2012, 12:57:21 PM
That's Ice Hot, Thorin. Ice Hot.

Damn, that was hard to find a matching image for.  First I found the transcript for the episode, then I finally found the image of the Doctor drinking Fizzade:

Anyway.

Buy your Drobo some feed, err, drives.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Dammit, I have that whole series sitting on my Drobo waiting for me to turn on the TV and Xbox and watch it.  The remote is within reaching distance and I'm sitting the living room working (no one else home).

must ... fight ... urge!  It's worktime, not watchtime, dammit.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

If you were running Plex you could stream it to your phone and watch it WHILE you work :)

Not that I would do such a thing with my Xoom...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

1. I don't own a smartphone (I'm in the minority in my family; it's just my six year old and me without a smartphone, the other four have one)
2. Why stream to a 3" phone or 7" tablet with a single speaker each when I'm sitting on the couch in front of the 50" tv with surround sound?
3. I could even just watch it right on my laptop if I were to do that - video on the right, work on the left

But I know if I started watching, I wouldn't get any work done.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

I like having background noise on so, sometimes I just have stuff streaming right next to me.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

I get the background noise thing, I'm the same way.  But I don't think the Paradise Towers serial would be background noise for me...
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Plex has a dedicated desktop client and are trialing a completely browser based streaming interface. Build your library and sort it once run it anywhere http://elan.plexapp.com/2012/08/28/part-3-introducing-the-new-plex-web-client/

Thorin

Yes, I get it, Plex Is Cool.  By the way, what kind of system is required to run it, since it transcodes on the fly?

Would my Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33GHz, 2GB RAM, ATI 8400GS vid, WinXP box handle more than one stream (reading from a networked-not-USB-connected Drobo) while simultaneously supporting 3 or 4 logged in users, uTorrent running, iTunes running, Minecraft left logged in under one user and in active use under another?

Because that's my setup.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful