Extremely Slow File Copy

Started by Mr. Analog, September 26, 2012, 09:48:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Dual core 2Ghz or higher needed for transcoding.

The transcoded intelligently only transcodes what is needed, it it will shift container formats, video codec and audio codec and bit rate as needed.

If your clients can support the content natively it will not take up resources.

If a client needs a full transcode your system probably will only be able to support just that transcode , but should still be able to serve other clients if they can directly support what they are streaming.

Desktop Plex client - should natively support everything an only request bitrate changes if you choose to use it remotely.

Roku2 - native h264 mp4 will require lots of other things transcoded

Wdtv live - supports a number of formats but will requires some transcoding

Xbox/ps3 - various audio codecs and container files will be transcoded in DLNA mode

Web client (not yet released) - always transcodes

Just some examples.

Lazybones

FYI the transcoder will use up 100% of two CPUs easily, it is best not to run it with other high demand services.

I have mine limited to two vCPUs on a vm on my quad core workstation at the moment.

Melbosa

Quote from: Thorin on September 26, 2012, 05:06:28 PM
Yes, I get it, Plex Is Cool.  By the way, what kind of system is required to run it, since it transcodes on the fly?

Would my Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33GHz, 2GB RAM, ATI 8400GS vid, WinXP box handle more than one stream (reading from a networked-not-USB-connected Drobo) while simultaneously supporting 3 or 4 logged in users, uTorrent running, iTunes running, Minecraft left logged in under one user and in active use under another?

Because that's my setup.

Well I think you might be fine doing it if you could doing Tveristy, seeing as though Plex requires less hardware.  My Q6600 does 3 streams just find, so I think you will be fine doing one stream, maybe 2 with the other apps.

Actually looking at your setup, you have newer hardware, better video card, and the only two things you are doing more than my Q6600 is the Minecraft and MultiUser.  Otherwise your setup is almost my setup (network attached Drobo included).  And I have a Roku, WD Live, iPad and PC connections all working of my Plex server.

Like I said, if you did it with Tveristy, you can do it with Plex.  Will be the same experience if not better.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

Hmm, Q6600 is better than an E6550; similar clock speed but twice the cores and cache.  Also, you have a worse video card than the absolute cheapest fanless video card I could find?  Also also, I generally don't transcode with Tversity, I just make sure I get XviD or DivX .avi files so that the Xbox can handle them natively.  Otherwise I get buff...ering, b...uffer...ing, bu...ff...e...r...i...n...g.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

I only used to get that when wirelessly streaming 1080p stuff
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Quote from: Thorin on September 27, 2012, 09:23:43 AM
Also, you have a worse video card than the absolute cheapest fanless video card I could find?  Also also, I generally don't transcode with Tversity, I just make sure I get XviD or DivX .avi files so that the Xbox can handle them natively.  Otherwise I get buff...ering, b...uffer...ing, bu...ff...e...r...i...n...g.

Yeah its called onboard video...

Plex won't transcode any more than Tveristy does as it depends on the connecting devices capabilities, so like I said you should have the same experience if not better with Plex if this was your Tversity box as well.

Lazybones

Plex trans-coding is all about the CPU, it has very low ram requirements and does not have any GPU optimization that I know of. Also for supported devices it is very aware of the supported codecs on the devices and won't trans-code if it is not needed.

I would highly recomend a device with a native Plex app, however DLNA support is very good for XBOX, PS3, WDTV and Samsung devices... However Native devices like the Plex Windows/Mac client, a Roku, iOS or android device will give you cool stuff simmilar to XBMC like the plot summaries etc.

Thorin

I remember when Melbosa was pushing me to use PS3MS because it was so good :)

Anyway, yes, some day I'll probably switch over from Tversity to Plex.  That day is not today, mostly due to inertia (c'mon, I really, really, wanted SSDs for my old machines to try and make them a little more responsive and couldn't even get the energy to hop in the car and go buy them when they were cheap - on the other hand, I don't have to try and find that money now and I don't have to reinstall OSes or anything).

But this all started with me saying I was trying to fight the temptation to watch TV instead of doing work, and I'm sure installing Plex won't help with that :)
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Melbosa

And PS3MS was sooo good for its time.  And I hear ya - its why it took so long for me to switch to Plex - Tversity is working for you and without a major problem there won't be a huge drive to change.  And that problem might be different for everyone of us.  If I was just watching TV Shows on my PS3, I probably still wouldn't have changed to Plex.

Mr. Analog

Plex was just so smooth. I just wish I could get streaming working for all devices (I'm sure I can I just haven't had the time/energy to do it yet).

In fact I only know of one person who hasn't had Plex run smooth but I suspect there were some issues with another tool he was using.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

So with all the time that we spent talking about other things ... have your files finished copying? :P
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on September 27, 2012, 02:59:32 PM
So with all the time that we spent talking about other things ... have your files finished copying? :P

No, I have to go to MemEx this weekend buy some larger drives and put them in my Drobo.

I parked the files on another drive, it's just not mirrored right now.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

I have 3 brand new 2TB drives sitting at home, 7200 RPM Seagates.  I needed them for cloning when my Drobo failed, but that is all they have been used for.  Sell them to you for $80 a piece if you want them.  If we see each other on Saturday, then you could get them from me then.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on September 27, 2012, 03:24:54 PM
I have 3 brand new 2TB drives sitting at home, 7200 RPM Seagates.  I needed them for cloning when my Drobo failed, but that is all they have been used for.  Sell them to you for $80 a piece if you want them.  If we see each other on Saturday, then you could get them from me then.

I already have 2 TB drives in my Drobo, I need to go bigger...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Check on your model of Drobo, some of the lower end ones do not support the 3TBs or need firmware updates to do so.