Owncloud / yunohost

Started by Lazybones, December 19, 2012, 01:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

As mentioned previously, I was mainly interested in their photo sharing, but its rather incomplete, and seems to be totally unsupported. aka: they have noone to work on any of it at this point. so it likely won't improve any time soon.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Their gallery could be better

Tom

I read they won't be integrating any of their features with android's stuff. So its rather quite useless for mobile imo.

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on April 14, 2013, 11:30:25 AM
I read they won't be integrating any of their features with android's stuff. So its rather quite useless for mobile imo.

Where did you hear that? Although if Android doesn't support CardDav, CalDav, WebDav already I think it is a moot point anyway.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on April 14, 2013, 11:32:56 AM
Quote from: Tom on April 14, 2013, 11:30:25 AM

Where did you hear that? Although if Android doesn't support CardDav, CalDav, WebDav already I think it is a moot point anyway.
I was reading it on the forums. AFAIR they won't have any kind of import or sync support between android and owncloud. So it's all manual setup with the parts that android does support. Kindof lame if you ask me.

Lazybones

Not sure I follow on the manual setup parts and the parts supported bit. It isn't like the parts there are automated parts for iOS.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on April 14, 2013, 12:48:54 PM
Not sure I follow on the manual setup parts and the parts supported bit. It isn't like the parts there are automated parts for iOS.
I mean, normally you'd see an app, say like skype or facebook share, or let you import your contacts and other things into android. that seems to be something they /won't/ do. Android probably does support caldev, but you have to set it up yourself.

Lazybones

The whole point of using Caldav / card Dav is so you set them up in the native app.

When you grab google drive iOS it doesn't setup your gmail as contact or google calendar as your calendar.

Same goes for skydive from Microsoft.  The storage app is a serperate app for the point of syncing files, you need to manually enter your calendar, contact and email account settings. To use those services.

I suppose it would be convenient if it set these up since owncloud puts these in one place but they are hardly difficult to setup one time.

Tom

owncloud isn't just a file storage service. It's an /everything/ service. It is supposed to be a host for your calendar, contacts, photos, everything. Your entire cloud as it were. And the fact that it doesn't easily integrate makes it a lot less useful in my oppinion.

What would it be like if gmail didn't integrate with android? or facebook? or twitter? Android would be a lot less useful.

Lazybones

Google services only integrate that way on android devices, same goes for MS services on MS devices and Apple services on apples.

These are all big services but they only deeply integrate on their native platform.

Tom

You're completely ignoreing the other services that integrate with both platforms.

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on April 15, 2013, 06:43:05 AM
You're completely ignoreing the other services that integrate with both platforms.

Such as?

As far as I can tell you want the own cloud client to setup the whole phone and take over Calendar, Contacts, Online storage and bookmarks.. And do it for you on install automated.

Might be possible on Androids... but not under restricted APIs on Apples devices... Not sure about MS and Blackberries.

Tom

I don't want it to take over, I want it to integrate like facebook and twitter do. Neither of them take over anything. They just add to the pool of contacts.

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on April 15, 2013, 11:08:21 AM
I don't want it to take over, I want it to integrate like facebook and twitter do. Neither of them take over anything. They just add to the pool of contacts.

So it is specifically the contacts app integration... That makes more sense.

Tom

Any and all possible integration would be best. Android is very modular. It aught to be able to integrate with the android photo album as well, at least one would hope.

But yeah. the main reason I was interested in owncloud was the photo album. And it sucks pretty hard.