New laptop time

Started by Tom, January 22, 2013, 02:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

That looks like it kicks ass! Great find, also 10% is a bonus.

Too bad you have to pay the Windows Tax though
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 24, 2013, 09:34:49 AM
That looks like it kicks ass! Great find, also 10% is a bonus.

Too bad you have to pay the Windows Tax though
Yeah. I think I can get them to give me a refund for that, but it may require either proving I didn't accept the EULA, or sending it back for them to wipe it. So I won't bother.

append: ooh, its actually 12%. but yeah. awesome.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Melbosa

Good find.  Beats the Asus on the battery life, but does cost more.  The Quadro is more Linux friendly for sure than the GeForce products.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

How much would you get back if you didn't accept Windows?  I know back in the day OEMs only paid, like, twenty bucks to include an OEM copy of Windows on a computer...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

It depends if it comes pre-installed, wiping it takes time and time is money.

Why not save $20 anyway, buy a giant steak instead of Windows 8?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

The HP laptops Melbosa pointed to had an option to take Suse or FreeDOS, and at least with FreeDOS, you saved $100. Maybe that discount gets smaller if you also buy office and stuff, but since its more of a business laptop, probably not?

Tom

Just got a shipment notification for my new laptop \o/ Hopefully get it by early next week.

Tom

Aww yeah. Got my laptop today \o/ a day late, but meh.

It's pretty slick, especially after the upgrade to 24GB ram, and a blazing fast SSD (500MBps reads and writes).

Transferred all the important stuff off my old laptop, and have the new one all set up. I'ma happy.

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Woo! Get Steam & Minecraft on that sucker!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 08, 2013, 04:04:49 PM
Woo! Get Steam & Minecraft on that sucker!
Minecraft is already on this sucker (just working on getting oracle-java installed, they changed the license, which no longer allowed distros to ship it). No steam though, last I tried the steam client didn't like debian very much.

Mr. Analog

Bwah bwuh!

Hopefully they can get it running on that distro so we can play games!

Gotta do co-op Portal 2!!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Tom on February 08, 2013, 03:54:04 PM

It's pretty slick, especially after the upgrade to 24GB ram, and a blazing fast SSD (500MBps reads and writes).

Transferred all the important stuff off my old laptop, and have the new one all set up. I'ma happy.

I think that's more RAM than in my entire house. Well, if w don't count stuff built into phones, I guess.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 08, 2013, 04:36:47 PM
Bwah bwuh!

Hopefully they can get it running on that distro so we can play games!

Gotta do co-op Portal 2!!
Aww yeah. That'd be cool.

Quote from: Thorin on February 08, 2013, 04:54:58 PM
Quote from: Tom on February 08, 2013, 03:54:04 PM

I think that's more RAM than in my entire house. Well, if w don't count stuff built into phones, I guess.
Yeah, it came with 8GB, and I bought a pair of 8GB sticks to put in the empty slots. I could have gone to 32GB, but meh. If I find I need more than 24GB ram, I'll do it then. Or if the ram is on sale stupid cheap ;D

Lazybones

I am surprised you didn't go Ubuntu on the laptop. They have decent decent WiFi tools and I have found its repo to be WAY more current than Debian even when using older LTS releases.