Console wars, PS4 for the win?

Started by Mags, April 06, 2013, 11:58:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

There's something I didn't know - I thought xbox controllers were still proprietary, meaning they only worked with Xboxes?  I didn't realize Windows would recognize them on a standard laptop.

A standard laptop also would have a pretty weak graphics system or else be triple to quadruple the cost of a current console ($900-$1,200 for the laptop compared to $300 for the xbox).

However, the idea of hooking devices to TVs is certainly becoming more mainstream what with all the people streaming stuff off their iPads.  So the idea of hooking the laptop up to the TV is becoming mainstream, as well.  There are still lots of non-techie people that wouldn't think of doing that, but I'm betting in a couple of years from now a majority of people will have laptops with HDMI ports and cables to connect to their flat-panel TVs.  We're starting move there, but as always the techies are leading the charge.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on April 08, 2013, 12:28:43 PM
There's something I didn't know - I thought xbox controllers were still proprietary, meaning they only worked with Xboxes?  I didn't realize Windows would recognize them on a standard laptop.

You need to purchase a proprietary Wireless dongle for the wireless controllers to work, but other than that Ya it is really nice.

Mr. Analog

My wireless controllers came with a USB connection for use with my XBox so I just plug those suckers in to my PC when a game comes along that's better suited to a gamepad.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

So, as stated earlier I was thinking about buying a Wii-U as a replacement for my dead Wii but what I've found doing some research is that the main failing so far is that there are very few titles for it, even fewer exclusives.

The drought of software has continued for some time and apparently there will be no new title announcements until E3 (which is in June)

All the core games I would want to play on Nintendo are basically up in the air at this time, this is highly disappointing news. I guess 3DS sales must be pretty good because there were recently a whole bunch of new games announced for it.

It's like Nintendo wants the Wii-U to fail...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

For me the Wii-U is pretty much non-existent.  I don't see the adverts, I don't hear of the titles on my Game Review site frequents... I don't have kids.  Its like the console this generation has forgotten - at least my generation of gamers.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Most of the titles that came out for it were also released to PC, 360 and PS3. Like Assassins Creed 3, Tekken and BLOPS2 (etc, etc) but like, I have a PC and a 360 so I already have most of those games already.

Where Nintendo dropped the ball was unique titles that make me want to buy it, like as cool as ZombiU looks, that's just one game. Really the only other title on my radar is Bayonetta 2.

Where's the new Mario Kart? TBA
... the new Mario Party? TBA
... the new Zelda? TBA
... Smash Bros? TBA

Wii-U is in a pretty sad state at the moment, a wasted opportunity especially since they launched before the other new consoles.

I could be grinding Kart in HD already!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Sony trying to push PS4 Pre-orders by bricking PS3s? http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/06/19/playstation-3-firmware-update-bricking-consoles

Laughed a little at that... with all the console pre-order hoopla as of late.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 23, 2013, 11:03:41 AM
Most of the titles that came out for it were also released to PC, 360 and PS3. Like Assassins Creed 3, Tekken and BLOPS2 (etc, etc) but like, I have a PC and a 360 so I already have most of those games already.

Where Nintendo dropped the ball was unique titles that make me want to buy it, like as cool as ZombiU looks, that's just one game. Really the only other title on my radar is Bayonetta 2.

Where's the new Mario Kart? TBA
... the new Mario Party? TBA
... the new Zelda? TBA
... Smash Bros? TBA

Wii-U is in a pretty sad state at the moment, a wasted opportunity especially since they launched before the other new consoles.

I could be grinding Kart in HD already!

Kinda funny, there was a kid visiting yesterday and he and my other kids were playing Wii U (even the 16yo).  The visitor was asking about Mario Kart and one of my kids said it's not out yet and it doesn't have a release date yet, then they talked about Smash Bros and Mario Party and how they can't wait for them.  And they started talking about what new characters there might be in Smash Bros.

I was surprised that 1) 8-12 year old kids were following gaming news at all, 2) they were keeping up on Wii U news (I mean, who does that?)
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

The big news for Smash Bros is Megaman! As well as the trainer from Wii fit and the Villager from Animal Crossing

But sadly a long long way off (like a year)
By Grabthar's Hammer