Developers! Developers! Developers!

Started by Tom, August 23, 2013, 08:29:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Ahh Ballmer we hardly new ye...

When he took the reigns Microsoft was unquestioningly dominant and growing in new areas (.NET Framework, XBox, tablets)

And just look at them now!

no really

come back

heeeeeeeey!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Tom

He's probably good for their cloud and business buisnesses. Not so much for consumer....
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Probably the worst candidate they could have picked.

This is the person behind the awful XBone fiasco last year
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 19, 2014, 11:43:01 AM

Quote from: Tom on February 19, 2014, 10:25:47 AM
He's probably good for their cloud and business buisnesses. Not so much for consumer....

So you guys are solidly in agreement then? (since neither of you is likely to ever be a cloud/enterprise customer of Microsoft's...)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Tom

More or less. He might be ok? Maybe? If he's flexible enough? Maybe being CEO will give him a different perspective? But from a business standpoint, MS makes most of their money from bulk license deals. You aren't their customer, OEMs, Large businesses and governments are. The only reason they care at all about the consumer is to keep people using their software at home, for lock in.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on February 19, 2014, 12:01:01 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 19, 2014, 11:43:01 AM

Quote from: Tom on February 19, 2014, 10:25:47 AM

So you guys are solidly in agreement then? (since neither of you is likely to ever be a cloud/enterprise customer of Microsoft's...)

personally maybe,  professionally never.  It's just a case of trust across borders and it's just not on.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

You saying you'll never agree with me?!?!?!?!?!

Thorin

I think he's referring to never being a cloud/enterprise customer of Microsoft's.

It's funny, because our manager is definitely pushing for using cloud services from Microsoft.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on February 19, 2014, 02:39:35 PM
I think he's referring to never being a cloud/enterprise customer of Microsoft's.
Ya, the excessive use of punctuation was meant to hint at my level of jokitude.

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on February 19, 2014, 02:39:35 PM

It's funny, because our manager is definitely pushing for using cloud services from Microsoft.

From a business cost point of view they are selling those services rather hard... My only pause has been there TWO GLOBAL failures in the last two years.

1. Date bug
2. DNS change gone bad

No point in having regional failure domains if 1 thing can take them all down.

Amazon has a better history in this matter, but even Netflix can tell you that you have to build on top of that your own systems for dealing with failure.

Tom

AWS is fun that way. It has a major DC or regional (or less frequently, Global) outages once a year or so. Much more frequently host nodes or vms will just fall off the network. It's just something you have to expect and account for.

I moved my DNS and Mail servers to digital ocean recently, my DNS setup has two $5 vms, one primary one secondary that automatically syncs with the primary, should one go down, the other will be up. And they are in separate ends of the us. Mail isn't redundant, I haven't finished fully setting it up, I haven't even bothered with spam filtering yet, as postfix with the right setup filters out most spam by virtue of rbls, reverse dns, and validity checking.

I'll be moving my web vm over soonish, and I can finally cancel my dedicated box.