Minecraft glitching :(

Started by Thorin, June 24, 2012, 02:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I had one dude come take a big box full of random old computer gear. someone probably would come take all your stuff.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on June 25, 2012, 10:57:27 AM
I had one dude come take a big box full of random old computer gear. someone probably would come take all your stuff.

Not the point, I want to do it on my schedule.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

It's never really a problem with schedule. Just tell them when you're available :P but I can see it being a bit annoying dealing with people.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on June 25, 2012, 11:09:45 AM
It's never really a problem with schedule. Just tell them when you're available :P but I can see it being a bit annoying dealing with people.

Particularly when I can just truck it all down at one time. Just gotta get it all finally together and ready to roll.

I have a bunch of drives to wip

ANYWAY we're way OT here now
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Oh, one thing you may want to try to boost performance is remove all mods / texture packs.

I had one mod running and the HD texture pack it was using absolutely gutted my machine (not sure what was going on, all I know is that when I removed the mod things got speedy and nice again :) )
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Yeah, it was completely vanilla until I installed MagicLauncher and modded in OptiFine to try and relieve the pressure on the system.

Maybe I need to drive you home after work one of these days, then I can take your computer junk to the Eco station for you :)

Also, I thought you gave me your last extra PSU?  Man, you're a computer parts magnet, aren't you?

Anyway, in the next couple of days I'm going to:

1. Check it on computer 2
2. If it doesn't happen on computer 2, move the installation
3. If it doesn't happen on computer 2, try and figure out what's going wrong on computer 1
4. If it does happen on computer 2, upgrade graphics cards (may require new psu)
5. Whether it happens or not, upgrade graphics cards :)
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on June 25, 2012, 11:44:20 AM
Yeah, it was completely vanilla until I installed MagicLauncher and modded in OptiFine to try and relieve the pressure on the system.

Maybe I need to drive you home after work one of these days, then I can take your computer junk to the Eco station for you :)

Also, I thought you gave me your last extra PSU?  Man, you're a computer parts magnet, aren't you?

Anyway, in the next couple of days I'm going to:

1. Check it on computer 2
2. If it doesn't happen on computer 2, move the installation
3. If it doesn't happen on computer 2, try and figure out what's going wrong on computer 1
4. If it does happen on computer 2, upgrade graphics cards (may require new psu)
5. Whether it happens or not, upgrade graphics cards :)
Get yourself a can of compressed air. You may need to clean out the dust from the one that likes to spin up a lot.

Mr. Analog

Hah! You could SLI the two 8800s :D

And yes, I never throw anything away, unless I push myself.

Yep, the PSU you have would have been the better one of the 3 that are kicking around here.

I'll have to uninstall the old drives before trucking all this old crap outta here.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Yeah, I'm sure a good cleaning is in order.  But the fan spins up because the CPU is getting worked by the games - in computer 2 the fan (supposedly) doesn't spin up, so (supposedly) isn't getting worked by the games.  This suggests to me something's wrong with the video card operation.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on June 25, 2012, 12:33:33 PM
Yeah, I'm sure a good cleaning is in order.  But the fan spins up because the CPU is getting worked by the games - in computer 2 the fan (supposedly) doesn't spin up, so (supposedly) isn't getting worked by the games.
Which means its getting warmer. What tends to cause one machine to get warmer than another identically spec'ed machine? Bad air flow/cooling.

QuoteThis suggests to me something's wrong with the video card operation.
It's a possibility. But I'd check airflow through the heatsinks and fans first.

Thorin

Well, that or the CPU having to do all the graphics work because the graphics card isn't working right...

But yeah, I'll check them both for cleanliness when I open them tonight.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on June 25, 2012, 02:36:18 PM
Well, that or the CPU having to do all the graphics work because the graphics card isn't working right...
I'm tempted to bring up morbo... You either get software rendering (via cpu), or hardware rendering (via gpu). And minecraft would be so incredibly slow with a full software renderer. It is possible that for some reason the system's built in graphics (in the cpu if the machine was made in the past year, or chipset if its older), but you'd have to have plugged the monitor into the graphics port on the motherboard for that to work (before the last year-ish, there was no readily available hardware that supported utilising both integrated and discreet graphics hw at the same time, ie, using the integrated hw for most rendering, and the discreet hw to handle video out, or vice-versa).

Thorin

Good point about where it's plugged in.

Futurama Morbo?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Thorin

So the CPU fan getting loud was because of a large build-up of dust around the processor, underneath the heatsink.  A proper cleaning, and it no longer spins up while playing the game, even on higher settings.  This explains why the other computer didn't get loud - it had been cleaned when I swapped the power supply in it a couple months ago.

With OptiFine running and settings tweaked, I'm hitting 40 to 75 Frames Per Second routinely, and have got over 100 FPS a few times.  However, sometimes when you look down the floor disappears.  I'm really not sure what to do about that with the current hardware, so...

Quote from: Tom on June 25, 2012, 12:35:56 AM
Generally integrated graphics are completely disabled when you install a graphics card.

I have an 8800GTS 320MB card I don't particularly need. Would have two, but one died.

You still interested in getting rid of this?  How much would you want?  I'd come pick it up.

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 25, 2012, 06:37:26 AM
I have one you can have:

http://forums.righteouswrath.com/index.php/topic,7491.0.html

You still interested in getting rid of this?  How much would you want?  I'd come pick it up.  [is there an echo here?]

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 25, 2012, 10:12:11 AM
I *think* I still have a spare PSU kicking around

I have a room full of computer gear I want to get rid of but no wheels to do it with.

I'd be happy to buy a used PSU off you if you've got a decent one and are looking to get rid of it.  As long as it costs me less than going to MemEx :)
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful